Picasa vs. ACDsee Pro?

chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
edited March 20, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
What do you all think? If you were to choose between either one as a before photoshop photo organizer tool.
---
Chris
Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
Canon 10D | 20D | 5D

Comments

• Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    chrisjlee wrote:
    What do you all think? If you were to choose between either one as a before photoshop photo organizer tool.

Neither!

Take a look at BreezeBrowser .
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Neither!

Take a look at BreezeBrowser .
    I love Picasa! Great tool to review photos, and I use it to "preview" changes such as contrast, brightness, sharp, crop etc. Since all changes in Picasa are always reversable (doesnt impact image file), it is great for this. Sometimes I just save a copy right out of Picasa, and go into photoshop for other adjustments.

Picasa doesnt have a rating system, tags or any of that, so the workflow from it to Photoshop isnt very good. I wish Bridge worked as well as Picasa in viewing pictures, even doing minor corrections.....
    edited March 15, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    I love Picasa! Great tool to review photos, and I use it to "preview" changes such as contrast, brightness, sharp, crop etc. Since all changes in Picasa are always reversable (doesnt impact image file), it is great for this. Sometimes I just save a copy right out of Picasa, and go into photoshop for other adjustments.

Picasa doesnt have a rating system, tags or any of that, so the workflow from it to Photoshop isnt very good. I wish Bridge worked as well as Picasa in viewing pictures, even doing minor corrections.....

Other features of BB:

Convert RAW files.

Will show focus point(s) on overlay of viewer.

Will show blown highlights on overlay of viewer.

Can batch re-size, apply border, noise reduction, sharpening, watermark, correct lens distortion, auto levels.....etc.

Slide-show with transitions.

Double click photo to open in any editor you specify.

All in a highly configurable user interface.

Excellent friendly support!
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Other features of BB:

Convert RAW files.

Will show focus point(s) on overlay of viewer.

Will show blown highlights on overlay of viewer.

Can batch re-size, apply border, noise reduction, sharpening, watermark, correct lens distortion, auto levels.....etc.

Slide-show with transitions.

Double click photo to open in any editor you specify.

All in a highly configurable user interface.

Excellent friendly support!

ACDSee Pro does all the same things as BreezeBrowser, they may name their features something else but they are basically the same.

Download the trial versions of each and see which one makes more sense to you personally, because that's all it boils down to (other than maybe price).
    edited March 15, 2006
    mrcoons wrote:
    ACDSee Pro does all the same things as BreezeBrowser, they may name their features something else but they are basically the same.

Download the trial versions of each and see which one makes more sense to you personally, because that's all it boils down to (other than maybe price).

I've tried ACDSee before....way to buggy for me.

I own and love BreezeBrowser Pro. I use it in conjunction with Downloader Pro (from the same author).

I stick a memory card in my reader > hit the download icon > my files are downloaded to my hard drive and my backup drive > the directory and any subdirectories that I have configured are created and named to conventions that I have pre-established > the card is erased > the card drive is unmounted > BreezeBrowser opens to the new directory for viewing and tagging. All auto with no input from me!!! If I want, I can have another directory with all the files converted to the .dng format.
  • juliejulesjuliejules Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    I really like Picasa2 but I've not compared it to other things. It's free, and it works. I wish it had a smugmug publish button.

Maybe I will try BreezeBrowser just to check it out.
    --juliejules
    http://www.juliejules.com
    Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L, Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, Canon Ext 1.4x II, SpeedLite 430EX
    edited March 16, 2006
    juliejules wrote:
    I really like Picasa2 but I've not compared it to other things. It's free, and it works. I wish it had a smugmug publish button.

I think Picasa is nice....free!....works well. I've tried it too....and used it for awhile. I needed more so I went out and found it.
    edited March 16, 2006
    juliejules wrote:

juliejules:

From Picasa, I have been able to upload photos to Smugmug using the email feature: http://www.smugmug.com/help/camera-phones

However, this is ok for a few pictures, or adding one or two to an existing gallery, but not very useful for creating new galleries, etc. For that, I have an "upload' directory on my PC, and I use Picasa to save to this directory. Then I use sendtosmugmug to send the batch easily.
  • juliejulesjuliejules Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    juliejules:

From Picasa, I have been able to upload photos to Smugmug using the email feature: http://www.smugmug.com/help/camera-phones

However, this is ok for a few pictures, or adding one or two to an existing gallery, but not very useful for creating new galleries, etc. For that, I have an "upload' directory on my PC, and I use Picasa to save to this directory. Then I use sendtosmugmug to send the batch easily.

Thanks! I'll check it out sometime.

Lately I've just been using smugmug's Firefox drag and drop thing and it works, but I still have to export the files from Picasa if I've made changes. Is that what you mean by saving to an "upload" directory?
    --juliejules
    http://www.juliejules.com
    Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L, Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, Canon Ext 1.4x II, SpeedLite 430EX
    edited March 16, 2006
    juliejules wrote:
    Lately I've just been using smugmug's Firefox drag and drop thing and it works, but I still have to export the files from Picasa if I've made changes. Is that what you mean by saving to an "upload" directory?

Yes sorry, I just checked and Picasa does call it "Export".
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    Does Picasa import thumbnails from CD and DVDs so you can catalog your whole CD photo collection?

Thanks
    Fred
  • Scott BuelScott Buel Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    http://www.photools.com/

http://www.photools.com/im0002.php

IMatch seems like it might be a pretty good one, too. It is competitively priced at $59, too.
    Check out my galleries : scenes from the past

Scan Cafe: let the pros do it
    edited March 20, 2006
    USAIR wrote:
    Does Picasa import thumbnails from CD and DVDs so you can catalog your whole CD photo collection?

Thanks
    Fred

Picasa will scan whatever you point it to. thumbnails are created on the fly, so it doesnt use existing thumbnails that I know of. Havent tried a CD myself, but I know that it writes a thumbnail file to each directory you have it monitor, so not sure how this would work. Give it a try. My suspicions are that you need to copy a CD to the harddrive first, but let us know what you find.
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    Picasa will scan whatever you point it to. thumbnails are created on the fly, so it doesnt use existing thumbnails that I know of. Havent tried a CD myself, but I know that it writes a thumbnail file to each directory you have it monitor, so not sure how this would work. Give it a try. My suspicions are that you need to copy a CD to the harddrive first, but let us know what you find.

Thank you
    If it works the way you say it wont do for me.
    I like iView Pro3 I like but too much $$
    And it's buggy

I want to feed dvds into Picasa let it make thumbnail photos of all my dvds
    And be able to find where photos are on those dvds.

Fred