Options

Lynn, looking for some of those $5 books

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited September 17, 2004 in Accessories
that you mentioned, say like Scott Kelby's Photoshop CS. Wanting Camera Raw, by someone else, and back to Scott Kelby, Photoshop Classic Effects, Photoshop CS Killer tips, and the down and dirty one.

My findings are that one of those is about 17.00 plus shipping, the others are in the low 20s. That is not bad, but I am having trouble choosing. (That is 40/41% off of retail and beats Amazon, but not by much) Amazon's used books are sometimes, often, higher than their new ones, not $5.00. I would be ecstatic to see these at $10.00.

Does anyone know? If "you" had to order just one, which would it be? I already have the Photoshop 7 WOW book, and Scott Kelby's book for digital photographers. Those were recommended at the beginning, so I bought them to make me the photographer I am today.:D

Now, I would like to be all I can be:dunno , the photographer of tomorrow "Me".

So,

What are the recommendations?

Does anyone actually find these books much cheaper?

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    GuzzlerGuzzler Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited September 17, 2004
    I usually read them for free. It's called the public library mwink.gif

Will read the books, then when I find a page or chapter that I would like to keep for reference, scan 'em, or good old fashion copier. mwink.gif Or even just take notes.

If your library doesn't have the books you want, ask them to order them. Sure you might have to wait, or be told that they can't afford them, but at least ask. Someone else in your comunity might also want the book.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    Ginger, the Kelby books often repeat themselves, as they update for each successive version of photochop. If you have CS, and can only buy one, then I'd recommend getting Kelby's "The Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers."
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    wxwax wrote:
    Ginger, the Kelby books often repeat themselves, as they update for each successive version of photochop. If you have CS, and can only buy one, then I'd recommend getting Kelby's "The Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers."
    Sid, does it have enough stuff different from his Photoshop 7 book?

That is one big concern. I went to a different Barnes and Noble today, as I was clear across town on an errand anyway. They had all these books. The store by me doesn't have any.

I discovered what I didn't want easier than discovering what I do want. (They did not have the Classic book that had impressed me before) I do not want the RAW book, I have to mess around with RAW enough to be able to read it. I looked at about 5 books I had been interested in and only the Kelby PS CS interested me, but, one, I don't buy books like that at retail, and two, I wanted a bit of feedback that it has info that is different enough from the 7 book I have that I would really want it.

I bought some magazines and a paperback and left.

I would very much like a "how to photograph" book. Sounds silly, but something in the Kelby vein, but not photoshop, photographing. I know of one, but it is trashed in the reviews as the manual has the same info. Kelby makes his books fun to read, and some others do too.

I would like to find that in a book re the ISO, etc........... I know I have copied everything Andy has said, I would just like a book on it. My Digital Photographys Hacks is OK, but now I want MORE.

ginger:D (It is windy, an interesting type wind. No rain now, some blue sky sometimes, but a constant wind. Ivan?)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.