Options

Calm

KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
edited September 17, 2004 in Wildlife
Here's hoping that our shorelines will soon return to calmer conditions.

33864912.jpg

Kent
"Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
Web site

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2004
    KMCC wrote:
    Here's hoping that our shorelines will soon return to calmer conditions.
    Gorgeous shot, Kent. My dogs and I need weather like that again. I know I have seen that stuff all summer, but not the last few weeks.

Great shot of it, though, fine handling of the highlights. Love the color.

YOu know I despise hurricanes. Just hate them, and Jeanne out there is not doing anything for my mood.

But when Gaston was coming, and I was out taking pictures, I didn't know it. I went to the beach. Some driving rain, kept my camera in a towel, the rain was driving as the wind was really blowing. I must say it was exhilerating. There is a beauty in a storm. The waves were gorgeous.

Gaston was a surprise storm, I guess there was a voluntary evacuation order out for the islands, I saw one guy packing his car............ I thought that guy just didn't want a rainy weekend, wuss. Stayed up all night uploading and downloading my photos, went to bed, then woke up again about 9AM, no power for 12 hrs, no cable for 24.

That is when it is not fun. But before I knew what was happening, I was really enjoying myself. The winds from Gaston were sustained at 70 MPH, just below a hurricane and got to gusts at 90 MPH. Nothing was open. The bridges and islands were closed.

But the night before. That was fun. Now I would have liked to wake up to your shot.

I have taken a long time to say this, but be careful in Atlanta, make sure you have some batteries. They keep saying that Ivan could impact you.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Gorgeous shot, Kent. My dogs and I need weather like that again. I know I have seen that stuff all summer, but not the last few weeks.

(text deleted)

ginger
    Thanks for the comments on this shot. It was taken not far from you; out on the Isle of Palms back in August.

FYI: What was left of Ivan roared through Atlanta last night. We're all still here, minus quite a few trees.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    Beautiful light thumb.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    I'm a big fan of contrast, so I like the dark grey sky setting off the sunlight on the water. Sweet image, Kent. Are you thinking the flare adds to the image, or have you thought about cloning it out? I shot a bunch last week with flare, and can't decide if it enhances or detracts from the piccies.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Yes, I noticed the grey sky, too, and visualized what the scene must have been. Serene, nice. Did I already mention that it is windy today. I just got home or I would go shoot the water, somewhere. Dogs, children, can't live without them, but they can be a problem. I mean they would have been fine, but I would have worried myself sick. About 4 or 5 hrs is about as long as I think I can leave them in crates.

On that flare thing, I think we have, sometimes, been too eager to jump by the rulebook and say, "no flare". Can you envision that picture without the flare?

Kind of flat, IMO.

ginger
  • Options
    Kent, I am partial to Sullivan's Island, it was my first "home" here, and it was my last on the islands, before Hugo chased some of us off. I don't usually spend much time on the beach, though, I go to church over there. This summer, with all these Challenges, and with 2 dogs who need exercising, I have spent quite a bit of time on the beach. This mush have been June, it was one of the first early mornings for me and the dogs (they are allowed off leash until 10 AM).

So this is Sullivan's Island, I call it Serenity. I think the horizon is still crooked, sometimes that happens in life, smile.

g
    6503937-L.jpg