Options

New to pricing Pics

tmshotstmshots Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited September 18, 2004 in Mind Your Own Business
Hello all
Havent posted for a while but need a little help. I'm new to this whole online pricing and wondered if anyone can lend a hand. Normally when I would do a shoot I would give flat rates and throw in pictures added to the price (ie; model shoots and weddings) here is the delima, I'm not use to individually pricing out pics and therefore am stuck. Normally I would charge like 5.00 (US) for 8x10's and then like less than that for 5x7's when I would figure out a bulk package deal. I'm wanting to try this where they can now come to the site to purchase what they want but have no idea where to start. Anyone here willing to share their secret pricings? or even give a ballpark figure? Any aid would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2004
    Pricing
    tmshots wrote:
    Hello all
    Havent posted for a while but need a little help. I'm new to this whole online pricing and wondered if anyone can lend a hand. Normally when I would do a shoot I would give flat rates and throw in pictures added to the price (ie; model shoots and weddings) here is the delima, I'm not use to individually pricing out pics and therefore am stuck. Normally I would charge like 5.00 (US) for 8x10's and then like less than that for 5x7's when I would figure out a bulk package deal.

I found other photographers doing work similar to mine and then try to price myself relative to them based on how I felt my work compared to them. They were also selling photos one-at-a-time online after an event (a race). My prices are higher than yours (I would charge $15 for an 8x10), but let me explain why. You give flat rates for a shoot, and then sell photos. So far I've been all spec shooting, so I only get money from prints.

If I were you, I'd look historically at how many prints you sell to a given event and what your total income is for that event. Subtract out the base fee, divide up the rest amongst prints. It might draw you closer to a per-print price. Does that help? You might want to consider a two-tiered pricing: this price for prints ordered within 14 days, and a steeper price ordered after that, to encourage quicker orders.

I've just been asked to quote a type of event where I come in to photograph a business convention/meeting. Photograph the speakers, audience, guests, etc. And I've been at a bit of a loss as to how to quote that, really. I have no idea how many prints might get bought, and what percent of income I need as a base fee, or how much to charge for prints.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2004
    tm, I moved this out of Hall of Fame. That Forum is reserved for threads with classic tips and advice. I'll PM you so you can find your thread's new home.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    tmshotstmshots Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited September 18, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    tm, I moved this out of Hall of Fame. That Forum is reserved for threads with classic tips and advice. I'll PM you so you can find your thread's new home.
    Sorry bout that, thought the Hall of wisdom was where we could go for just that. Is ok though Thanks for the info