Options

New to "street"

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited September 17, 2004 in People
Well, this isn't exactly street photography, but it is one of the few photos I've ever taken of someone I don't know. This was taken at a local fair at a farm; this is right in front of the entrance to the corn maze, where some folks were waiting for their kids/grandkids to emerge.

As soon as I saw her, I knew there was a something good there. But as I went to actually take a picture, I got freaked out. So I just snapped this quickly (almost before I got the camera to my eye!) and walked away!

8468311-L.jpg

Afterwards I was laughing at myself... I have a long way to go to emulate Andy!

So I'm curious, would you have taken this shot, would you have moved around a bit, is there even a good shot in there or am I dreaming... thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2004
    congrats on a good effort, dj clap.gif

i might have gone to the opposite side of the bench, and crouched lower. shooting wide really helps, too.

you got the 'fast' part down, that's important! i'm usually in/out in a second or two.

keep up the good work and attitude!
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2004
    andy wrote:
    congrats on a good effort, dj clap.gif

i might have gone to the opposite side of the bench, and crouched lower. shooting wide really helps, too.

you got the 'fast' part down, that's important! i'm usually in/out in a second or two.

keep up the good work and attitude!
    Would you have asked permission first, or would you have crouched, snapped and run?

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited September 17, 2004
    andy wrote:
    Yeah, that cart thing is annoying. Problem is, from the other side I'd be shooting into the sun. I've been having trouble with shots like that, either the shadows are pitch black or the highlights are totally gone. Not that I thought of walking around to the other side, of course! Next time I'll do more scoping before I shoot.

Thanks for the tips, Obi Wan! thumb.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Yeah, that cart thing is annoying. Problem is, from the other side I'd be shooting into the sun. I've been having trouble with shots like that, either the shadows are pitch black or the highlights are totally gone. Not that I thought of walking around to the other side, of course! Next time I'll do more scoping before I shoot.

Thanks for the tips, Obi Wan! thumb.gif
    Why shoot into or away from the sun? Take advantage of the light and shoot the lady on the left from a frontal view with sidelighting - might work better and avoid the garden utensils as well. I always like sidelighting if I can find it, and if the shadows aren't so profound that they ruin the image.

Here is a shot taken with sidelighting to use the shadow as a picture element....
    7639114-M.jpg

And here is a low angle light used to illuminate a child's face in tag football
    8428147-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Would you have asked permission first, or would you have crouched, snapped and run?

g

crouch, snap, and move on. dear, i don't "run" for anybody :D
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    Another benefit of going wide, people are unsure if they are the subject because the camera isn't pointing directly at them....

I think this guy guessed though?? or maybe he was just wondering why i was sitting on the floor :D
    5152396-L.jpg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    gubbs wrote:
    Another benefit of going wide, people are unsure if they are the subject because the camera isn't pointing directly at them....

I think this guy guessed though?? or maybe he was just wondering why i was sitting on the floor :D

I've done it that way myself. I think having an unobtrusive camera helps a lot, too. Have a honking L lens seems to draw attention. The benefit of the G3's flip out screen is that you can be shooting someone, but because you're looking in a different direction, they sort of assume you're not taking their pic.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    i want them to know
    wxwax wrote:
    I've done it that way myself. I think having an unobtrusive camera helps a lot, too. Have a honking L lens seems to draw attention. The benefit of the G3's flip out screen is that you can be shooting someone, but because you're looking in a different direction, they sort of assume you're not taking their pic.

but i still don't shoot with my 70-200L :D i walk right thru / by my scene, usually with my 16-35L aboard. they know what i'm doing.
  • Options
    Being a noob, I find it much easier to frame with the evf than with the flip out screen. So it's sort of a give-away what I'm doing! My little S1 does have a pretty unobtrusive 330mm lens though, so I could use that to my advantage...