Xml-rpc Api

onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
I'm going to be adding new methods to the XML-RPC API shortly. The next obvious one is "getImages" so everyone can do bulk downloads and such easily.

Obviously, the normal security rules apply (private galleries, passwords, external links, Originals protected, etc). I think I'm going to interpret "external links OFF" == "can't use getImages if not owner"... does that sound fair to everyone?

What other methods would you like to see? Maybe some ShareGroup stuff? I imagine being able to edit album details might be nice? Maybe adding/renaming/deleting Categories and SubCategories?

You tell me, I'll prioritize based on what you guys want. Post suggestions here.

Don

Comments

• flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2004
    Please tell me "getImages" will include the original filename and the smugmug ID.

This is all pretty cool, even though I will have to learn to use xml-rpc. Doesn't look terribly hard though.

Thanks!
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2004
    Please tell me "getImages" will include the original filename and the smugmug ID.

This is all pretty cool, even though I will have to learn to use xml-rpc. Doesn't look terribly hard though.

Thanks!

"getImages" will actually have "Size" be an option you can pass to it. Values include Tiny, Thumb, Small, Medium, Large, and Original.

Depending, then, on permissions and your login state, it will return a list of URLs and their original filenames as they were uploaded. Your app can then fetch them at will, depending on what it wants to do.

Since the smugmug URL includes the smugmug ImageID, I'm not sure I need to explicitly return it, but I could if you think it's valuable.

Sound good? Need the smugmug ID explicitly?

Don
    Well, what I would like might be slightly different than what getImages is intended to do. It's hard to say without all the details.

For a given gallery, I would like to be able to get a list of all images with their original filenames and smugmug IDs. Since the various sizes use standard naming conventions I don't need those returned. I just really need to be able to get those original filename -> smugmug ID relationships in some automated fashion.
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    Well, what I would like might be slightly different than what getImages is intended to do. It's hard to say without all the details.

For a given gallery, I would like to be able to get a list of all images with their original filenames and smugmug IDs. Since the various sizes use standard naming conventions I don't need those returned. I just really need to be able to get those original filename -> smugmug ID relationships in some automated fashion.

Sounds like exactly what getImages will be providing. It won't be giving you binary data, just links to the images (which has the smugmug ImageID) and the originally uploaded filename (with extension changed, if necessary).

What am I missing?

Don
    Sounds like it might work for me then, depending on the final implementation.

Since size is always ID-X.jpg where X is the size, I'm not sure why size would need to be included as an option in the request. But I can see how it could potentially make it easier for people.

For me, I would very much like to have the original filename and plain smugmug ID returned, without any size data appended. I may be using the data a little differently than you had envisioned.