Options

Challenge 20 feedback?

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited September 19, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
I know Andy's got the tooth thing going on, and I reckon Sid's been out of town, but I'd love to get the shot by shot feedback that theses challenges are known for. Just don't want it to get lost in the shuffle, what with all these new posts going up for #21.
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2004
    I'm still curious about what Penelope has to say about a few of our pics from challenge 19.. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:
    I'm still curious about what Penelope has to say about a few of our pics from challenge 19.. ne_nau.gif

she was away for the past week, i'm sure she'll finish.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2283&page=1&pp=10
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2004
    andy wrote:
    she was away for the past week, i'm sure she'll finish.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2283&page=1&pp=10

Ok, thumb.gif
    Thanks for the quick answer..thought i missed them somewhere.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2004
    david - please have patience
    DavidTO wrote:
    I know Andy's got the tooth thing going on, and I reckon Sid's been out of town, but I'd love to get the shot by shot feedback that theses challenges are known for. Just don't want it to get lost in the shuffle, what with all these new posts going up for #21.

the comments will be put up once the voting is finished. if you recall, i made the committment, to get the comments done, before the next challenge is over. please, have patience, this is a time consuming process.

sid and i are on top of things, i promise.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2004
    andy wrote:
    the comments will be put up once the voting is finished. if you recall, i made the committment, to get the comments done, before the next challenge is over. please, have patience, this is a time consuming process.

sid and i are on top of things, i promise.

Andy,

I guess I'm just so used to the speed with in the past which you have started to critique those of us who didn't make the finals, that you've spoiled me. As always, I am extremely grateful for all you do, and if patience is required, you can count on me for plenty of it.

Thanks for your patience with all of us. I'm sure that at times it feels like you're herding cats.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2004
    no worries, david ...
    DavidTO wrote:
    Andy,

I guess I'm just so used to the speed with in the past which you have started to critique those of us who didn't make the finals, that you've spoiled me. As always, I am extremely grateful for all you do, and if patience is required, you can count on me for plenty of it.

Thanks for your patience with all of us. I'm sure that at times it feels like you're herding cats.

it's just easier to post all the comments once the voting's done. thanks
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2004
    *** challenge 20 feedback ***
    andy wrote:
    it's just easier to post all the comments once the voting's done. thanks

i'll have it posted sometime between today and eod saturday, 11th (ny time)

thanks and appreciate y'alls patience
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2004
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    Pain and discomfort- Prayers are with you.
    Andy:

While I have never had a root canal, I have had an extensive amount of maxillo-mandibular & skull reconstructive surgery. It's an awful thing to have your mouth in pain. Almost seems all of you aches, and you can't seem to eat, so you're hungry, and that makes your blood sugar drop, which makes you cranky, and you take medicine, if you really have to, and that makes you tired... And none of it seems to get better soon enough. Not too overlook the swelling, which lends to the feeling of attractiveness...

Ugh... I have been there, too often over the years (started before I was 20- still need a couple of more procedures but am fighting it, and I am basically 50)... So I can thoroughly relate and feel for you! Will say that it is kind of strange though, that with all of this discomfort, you will wake up one morning, and suddenly you'll notice it's barely there. I sincerely pray that all of this improves soon, that the "Feel better" day is right around the corner.

Bonne Chance

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    Well, I certainly pray that you feel better, soon, too, Andy. However, I cannot relate. I have had root canals in just about every tooth I have left, the only time one hurt was when I developed an absess over the weekend, and the dentist wouldn't believe me.

Other than that, well, I should have had the root canals, Andy, and you could have taken my pictures. A trade that would have worked well for both of us.
    Make sure you do not have an absess, root canals should relieve pain, they take the nerve out. But if anything builds up in the cavity, and it is covered, then it hurts. They can leave it uncovered......... let it drain, etc.

Simone, I can imagine that jaw surgery would hurt, not that a root canal does not hurt some other people.

Any constant pain like that just wears a person down, IMO.

ginger (I will pray healing thoughts for both of you, especially Andy at this point)

Sid critiqued the wrong photo for me, not that I did not want that photo critiqued. I was actually fortunate that he did that, as I had wondered what would have happened if I had not changed photos, smile.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    Perhaps there is something I am just missing.

The number of finalists for challenge 20 was reduced from 10 to 8.

Someone suggested that this was because there were less entries. OK, I didn't realize that the number of finalists would vary based on the number of entries and I am pretty sure if we get 50 entries it will still be 10 finalists.

For some reason the comments seem to also be leaving out the last three entries.

I know everyone is trying to be fair, and I am not attacking anyone. I just dont understand why some entries seems to be not eligable or ignored or not seen or what.

I am pretty sure they were all there on time to qualify for the challenge.
  • Options
    GREAPER wrote:

Someone suggested that this was because there were less entries. OK, I didn't realize that the number of finalists would vary based on the number of entries and I am pretty sure if we get 50 entries it will still be 10 finalists.

For some reason the comments seem to also be leaving out the last three entries.

I know everyone is trying to be fair, and I am not attacking anyone. I just dont understand why some entries seems to be not eligable or ignored or not seen or what.

Greaper, you talking to someone?? Not many people been around. And Andy is sick with root canals all over the place. I think he was the rock who held this place together, or something.

It happened before that there were only 8 finalists, because of a low number of entries.

And Sid commented on a photo that I withdrew before the deadline. I submitted another one, one that was in the finals.

If Sid mostly picked the finals, he did not know what photo he picked, when he picked mine. Not that I mind. I don't seem to mind much of that.

I mind the deafening silence this weekend. I like Sid a lot, but I am wondering, just wondering, don't know anything, but is it possible that he did his picking out from earlier and did not have a final "list" of the entries. That is just a weird scenario that pops in my head.

I wish more people were around. I ended up taking a very long nap.

ginger (Yesterday I thought they were all out taking photos for the Challenge, last night I realized that would only be true at night.)
  • Options
    number of finalists
    greaper,

when there are 20 or more entries, we pick 10 finalists. when there are less than 20, we pick 50% of the entries. this time it was 8.

nobody gets left out from comments, or judging, i assure you. i work very hard to ensure that everyone gets a fair shake. and, every pic that's been entered in the challenges since i've started hosting has gotten a critique from me.

sorry, but the past week's been killer for me, i can't eat, can't sleep, can't really talk, it's a bitch to work, and i have to fly to toronto at 6am in the morning.

i'll get 'em done, i promise!
    GREAPER wrote:

• Options
    thanks ginette and ginger
    for the kind words. i feel like cr@p. hanging in, though.

got to travel some this week so can't get to dentist till wednesday.

sigh.

i did shoot today, some irs, i'll post 'em.
  • Options
    andy wrote:
    for the kind words. i feel like cr@p. hanging in, though.

got to travel some this week so can't get to dentist till wednesday.

sigh.

i did shoot today, some irs, i'll post 'em.
    Andy:

Not good to fly if you may possibly have an abcess... Can force the infection back further into the bone... Really not good...
    As I understand it from my Aunt who runs a Dental Practice, "Once the Root Canal is completed the pain should be significantly minimized, if it's not then there may be a problem, and you should seek medical attention..." I did not know about the flight so when I rang her in PA I did not ask her about flying... She has been in the dental field for nearly 40 years, first as a Hygenist, then Dentists Surgical Assistant, and the last 10 years as Office Mgr.

Sound like you may need antibiotics toute suite! Your dentist should have someone on call that you can speak with at the very least. May be a wise course.

Do take care, Andy... We like having you around...

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    no choice *()*()$*#^
    have to fly tomw. sigh.

am on penecillin. and i have some good pain killers, though they make me nauseous. :puke1

thanks

ps: endo said i have no abcess at this time.
    AltPro wrote:
    Andy:

Not good to fly if you may possibly have an abcess... Can force the infection back further into the bone... Really not good...
    As I understand it from my Aunt who runs a Dental Practice, "Once the Root Canal is completed the pain should be significantly minimized, if it's not then there may be a problem, and you should seek medical attention..." I did not know about the flight so when I rang her in PA I did not ask her about flying... She has been in the dental field for nearly 40 years, first as a Hygenist, then Dentists Surgical Assistant, and the last 10 years as Office Mgr.

Sound like you may need antibiotics toute suite! Your dentist should have someone on call that you can speak with at the very least. May be a wise course.

Do take care, Andy... We like having you around...

ginette
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    andy wrote:
    have to fly tomw. sigh.

am on penecillin. and i have some good pain killers, though they make me nauseous. :puke1

thanks

jwear wrote:
    Andy ginette advice is real good also if you fly and cabin pressure is not right on pain will be a new word please be careful and good luckne_nau.gif Jeff
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    andy wrote:
    have to fly tomw. sigh.

thanks

IF the pain killers are making you nauseous, then you may be having a reaction. Ask for another type... There are so many out there now... Or try eating before taking them, or ask if Pepcid or Tums might help... You need to ask as sometimes they will impede the med's...

Also, sometimes with open surgery wounds in the mouth, a warm wet tea bag applied over the area (like a compress) will really help minimize some of the pain and swelling... Just an FYI.

My heart goes out to you... Been there too, too, often...
    ginette
  • Options
    Query?
    PS Andy:

I just ordered a Sony f828-
    1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 8 MP 1 GB Hitachi Microdrive
    1 Sony magicgate 256MB card
    1 Leather Sony case
    1 Sony tripod
    1 Extra Sony battery
    Polarizing filter and Protective filter both made by Sony

Should arrive by Friday...
    I am getting it for $735. It is in like new condition....
    Did I do well?
    Did I do the right thing?
    Any advice?

Will I like this more than my Nikon 5700?

ginette

• Options
    With my abcess, I was also on anti-biotics, only as I asked for them. They were not the ones I should have been on, but they probably saved me from heart damage or whatever. I do know that by Monday morning when the dentist would see me he was shocked and considered hospitalization.

Instead, he opened the place where he had done the root canal (immediate pain relief), and was very aggressive in the antibiotics he placed me on then. Daily vistis for about a week, I no longer go to that dentist for other reasons, but it was an avoidable experience and one I will never forget.

The key was the swelling which started about a day after the root canal and went into the weekend. At first the swelling was just in the area of the root canal, so that tooth became raised above the others. That is when you should be seen, but it was after hours.......... By the time he would see me the whole left side of my face was swollen, with swelling in my chin that did not go away for weeks.

Also, the pain relievers. Most people I have known who are on pain relievers have some relief when they stop the pain relievers. That has been kind of across the board on all the lists I am, and have been, on. Pain relievers really do a number on you. IMO, if you are in bad enough shape to use pain relievers, other than the minimum, there is a problem with what is causing the pain. The side effects from the pain relievers can not only make you nauseous, and/or sleepy, they can take away your coping mechanisms in dealing with pain.

I am not a doctor or a nurse, just what I have observed, and experienced.

God Bless,
    ginger
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2004
    great deal! ginette
    wow, such a deal.

good luck with it.

andy
  • Options
    Scam?
    andy wrote:
    wow, such a deal.

good luck with it.

andy
    Yeah Andy.... Such a deal... I should have known... It's a scam I fear... Now have to contact an attorney... Gads, this is more than I need... I bid on the item through e-bay, but was the second highest bidder, first bedder fell through, (lucky for him...) Seller sent me the e-bay second bidder request, I fulfilled... Now he is refusing to hold up his end... First he tells me he changed his mind, then he tells me it's damaged... Anycase, he already has my money! He's telling me he'll try and send out a "personal check?" I don't want his check! I want mycash! Back in MY account! But at least as this is across state lines, it is considered "Intersate Fraud," and it seems he is a graduate student at Michigan State.

What a rip.
    I'll keep you aprised.
    Do hope you are feeling a bit better. Good luck on the flight.
    ginette
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    AltPro wrote:
    Yeah Andy.... Such a deal... I should have known... It's a scam I fear... Now have to contact an attorney... Gads, this is more than I need... I bid on the item through e-bay, but was the second highest bidder, first bedder fell through, (lucky for him...) Seller sent me the e-bay second bidder request, I fulfilled... Now he is refusing to hold up his end... First he tells me he changed his mind, then he tells me it's damaged... Anycase, he already has my money! He's telling me he'll try and send out a "personal check?" I don't want his check! I want mycash! Back in MY account! But at least as this is across state lines, it is considered "Intersate Fraud," and it seems he is a graduate student at Michigan State.

What a rip.
    I'll keep you aprised.
    Do hope you are feeling a bit better. Good luck on the flight.
    ginette
    Ginnette,

How did you pay? If its paypal, depending on your account type, there could be things you can do. Have you reported it to ebay??

Good luck
  • Options
    Aughh
    gubbs wrote:
    Ginnette,

How did you pay? If its paypal, depending on your account type, there could be things you can do. Have you reported it to ebay??

Good luck
    Gubbsie...

Send me your address and I will forward you the shole transcript of letters... This has been crazy, but I think he will be following through.... I will believe it when I see it.

throughthelensltd@att.net
    ginette
  • Options
    Ginette, I bought a cheap PS CS, and I was afraid of SCAM, too. I finally got them this am and got it activated.

Good luck, I hope he does follow through, and I hope you let everyone know you are having problems: ebay, paypal, etc. (After he follows through)

The people I bought the CS from were very nice. I bought it last night, and they are not open on the weekend.

ginger
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2004
    *** challenge 20 feedback is done ***
    if we've missed anybody, please alert me.

dental update - i'm out of serious pain (thankfully!) and i go back this week for the final visit.