First with the 400 f5.6L

ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
edited April 8, 2006 in Wildlife
Beginners luck! Need to do some weight training, left arm:D First few shots were taken at ISO 400 and yuck shutter speeds of 1/250, where was my brain? That is the setting for this first one. Then cranked the ISO up (real gray day) to 800 and shutter speeds came up to 1/650+. Beginners luck because most truned out fairly sharp, that won't happen again. What a wonderful lens!!!!

Anyway for your C&C

61075956-L.jpg

61075893-L.jpg

Comments

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 22, 2006
    Ya dun good Thusie thumb.gifthumb.gif

This lens is so nice but it does have a learning curve. The weight isn't bad coming from a Bigma, but I can see how it would be unwieldly for some. Like most of the super-teles it does better in good light.

For the type of lighting you had, you did very well clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    Excellent, isn't that a great lens...
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 22, 2006
    clap.gif nice rat, congrats on the new glass!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    Wonderful, Thusie!

Congratulations! I didn't know that you had the lens.........

Yes, sometimes it works and is sharp. I used 100 ISO into practically evening the other day, with that lens, hahahaha. Well, I did get some good ones. The ones that were bad were horrid, and the good ones were a joy as there was such little grain.

However, it is not my intention to do that any time soon, either. It was my first time at the rookery since last fall, and I was excited. Forgot all about the ISO........

I took about 600 photos, and I got probably my best nature/bird/environment shot ever.............so far, but there were many disappointments, too. No, a tri pod would not have changed the fact that that was the wrong ISO.

ginger (nice dove and squirrel!) Enjoy!
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited March 22, 2006
    Are you holding that lens right, Thusie. I can't remember now, but one of my hands holds under the collar. That really helps me.

The lens that has seemed so heavy to me is the 70-200 F2.8L. The same lens as an f 4, well, it is feather weight!

The 16-35 is heavy, too. But the 70-200 was a shocker to me. They even put a collar on it. I just thought I was gaining a couple of F stops.

ginger
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    Thanks Steve. Your are right about the DOF (your other post) not much wiggle room is there? One hour out and I'm thinking..get a monopod NOW!:D
    Do want to be able to do respectable handholding. Going to take a bit, learnig curve, but fun as h-ll doing it!
    edited March 22, 2006
    Thanks and yes it is a wonderful lens Edthumb.gif

Erik, thanks for dropping in and the complement! Lost the bag! Rat, rats. Going to just jump in a buy new.
    edited March 22, 2006
    Hi Ginger and thanks. Was holding using the collar worked well. The extra weight is certainly noticable from the 70-200 f4L, balance is different. Don is out with it right now, probably a BIG mistake:):

Akk time to feed whosits
  • RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    Great first outing Thusie. Looking forward to seeing more.
  • PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    Thusie wrote:
    Beginners luck! What a wonderful lens!!!!
    Congrats on the lens. When I saw in Cameras it was coming to you I meant to "book" a squirrel as first photo. Got it as the second so that's okay, (and it is a fine dove shot). Love your squirrel shots, please keep them coming.
    edited March 22, 2006
    Congrats on the lens. When I saw in Cameras it was coming to you I meant to "book" a squirrel as first photo. Got it as the second so that's okay, (and it is a fine dove shot). Love your squirrel shots, please keep them coming.

rolleyes1.gif I almost didn't post one, but then might have been too much of a shock. Glad you enjoy them and I think your Oz Possums are adorable!
    edited March 22, 2006
    Rohirrim wrote:
    Great first outing Thusie. Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks much Steve! Hope to have a bit of sun tomorrow be more fun:):
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    Congrats on the new lens.clap.gif Two sharp pics. Now you need to do things:

1. Get a monopod or a tripod

2. Get yourself to tree ratless environment and take some more pics. :D
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited March 23, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Congrats on the new lens.clap.gif Two sharp pics. Now you need to do things:

1. Get a monopod or a tripod

2. Get yourself to tree ratless environment and take some more pics. :D
    Thanks Harry!
    Mono pod!! Yes if I can figure out what I want/will work, major 'cornfused'.
    News flash, BIGGIE! The fish hatch now has a ACTIVE eagle nest, yep 2 miles from my house. However the nest is ropped of so you can't get closer than 1400', even the counters are not allowed past that. BUT the eagles are coming to the back dike everyday, I can park my hiney right there:D

Ahaa Harry have 6 baby Squirts in care right now, would post the shot but I do have care for your BProlleyes1.gif
    edited March 23, 2006
    Thusie wrote:
    Hi Ginger and thanks. Was holding using the collar worked well. The extra weight is certainly noticable from the 70-200 f4L, balance is different. Don is out with it right now, probably a BIG mistake:):

Akk time to feed whosits

Hi, again!

I had the f4 70-200 and bought the f2.8 70-200, now that is a wt shock! It is such a shock that it did make things difficult for a short time. I actually like the extra weight, seem to anchor a lens, or something.

I have a monopod that I like. I paid about $120.00 a year or two ago. It is a Bogen, whatever, and I added to that price to get the quick release thing. Have to have a quick release. As you know, I prefer to go bare and the heck with the consequences, but I do need it for some nest shots and stuff. Or a tripod, but if I am not falling down exhausted the monopod is enough, and it is easier to carry and if you learn, you might even like it better than I do.

I do know that my monopod is a good one. It just works and feels good. My tripod is NOT a good one, you can tell after the first shoot, smile. If you shoot the moon, with the tripod and a shutter release, and it is on the tripod, if there is more noticeable shake than your handheld shots, it is probably not any better than mine. I tried mine out on the beach. So, it was the wind. Not good! (It was in the 100.00 range, was a Bogen thing, so good brand, but not enough money for a very good tripod.) (I go by money a lot. Or a personal solid recommendation. But I don't see that 100.00 is enough for a good tripod in the wind.

My monopod is in Bill's van, and he is out of town. When he gets back I will e-mail you, or PM the kind it is. But they probably have changed a bit. Just look for the Bogen Manfre.... in that price range.

Put the release thing on the collar of the lens. Not on the camera, smile. And if you plan to use it with shorter lenses, buy another release for the camera, just for ease.

This is all when you have the funds, of course, smile. I can't afford anything right now! I mean NOTHING.

Good shooting........

ginger (I envy you the eagles. Right now I don't feel like shooting, and Bill is kind of working 48/7, and that is not a typo.)
    edited March 23, 2006
    Ginger I was sort of looking over RRS's monopod stuff. I can almost guarantee good chance I will use a mono before a tripod. One time I'm actually going to take Don's advice, get the one and then go for a tripod and one that is easy to set up, too much fussin and I'll not use it.

Money plays a part here too, Don and I both have expensive hobbies, his high tech conifers are $$$, the photo stuff is $$$ at least we enjoy each others hobbies:D
  • robert mccanerobert mccane Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    nice work:):