Options

Selling prints on Smugmug

berhimwichberhimwich Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited September 20, 2004 in The Big Picture
Has anybody had any success selling prints on Smugmug? I don't want to sound like I'm dissapointed because my site's only been up a little over a month. I based my prices off another photographer's and have been told they are very reasonable. Is there a parallel between, say, an Amazon zShop and a Smugmug site as far as making money? Believe me, I'm not looking to become a millionare!

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2004
    Selling prints
    berhimwich wrote:
    Has anybody had any success selling prints on Smugmug?

To myself, yes. :) I've been up two months, maybe three. I can tell from website statistics that I am getting some traffic, but no sales yet. I can think of some reasons:

1) My prints are not stunning enough to purchase
    2) My prints are not unique enough to purchase
    3) They are stunning and unique, but not to anyone's taste
    4) The "order prints" button is not obvious to the browser (this has been discussed in another forum)
    5) Or I'm not getting enough traffic yet
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    berhimwichberhimwich Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2004
    Thanks
    It must be difficult selling prints on Smugmug. I ran a zShop on Amazon and it was very easy to sell books. I think right now I get over 100 people a day on my site. But, unfortunately, I think my audience is a lot of teenagers who don't have money (or even if they did, wouldn't buy photographs). But they can't all be teens, Laughing.gif!
    mercphoto wrote:
    To myself, yes. :) I've been up two months, maybe three. I can tell from website statistics that I am getting some traffic, but no sales yet. I can think of some reasons:

1) My prints are not stunning enough to purchase
    2) My prints are not unique enough to purchase
    3) They are stunning and unique, but not to anyone's taste
    4) The "order prints" button is not obvious to the browser (this has been discussed in another forum)
    5) Or I'm not getting enough traffic yet
  • Options
    ArkiArki Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited September 20, 2004
    Can someone explain further....
    berhimwich wrote:
    It must be difficult selling prints on Smugmug. I ran a zShop on Amazon and it was very easy to sell books. I think right now I get over 100 people a day on my site. But, unfortunately, I think my audience is a lot of teenagers who don't have money (or even if they did, wouldn't buy photographs). But they can't all be teens, Laughing.gif!

Are some folks utilizing Amazon to drive traffic to their photo site on SmugMug? Not sure I totally grasp this....

Thanks.

Steve