Options

help w photo to print

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited March 27, 2006 in Technique
my daughter wants to order a print of this photo:

is it too dark to print well??? I have experienced that before where someone was disappointed. I don't know here.

Is there a suggestion as to what I could do to "help" it, remembering that she likes this photo, so what we would want to do is tweak it to print well.

Plus, on the size: I have a regular cheapo smugmug family acct to put this in for her financial convenience. I work my photos up as 7.5 X 5, not a normal size, but in the ordering it does not show that it will be cropped. I am concerned as that doesn't make sense. In ordering a 4 X 6, I would expect cropping to occur somewhere. What do I do or think?

Moderators, please put this in a better place if needed.

Plus I do need to get back to my daughter on how she can buy this, but I want it to be right. I can lighten it. If you all think I should. Or increase the contrast? my husband doesn't like that, and my daughter likes this, I am a bit confused.

61738057-L.jpg

ginger

exif: size 2250 X 1500, f8, ISO 200, 400mm, 1/400

link to gallery of this one photo, smile

http://upacreek.smugmug.com/gallery/1310742/1/61771640
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    ginger

exif: size 2250 X 1500, f8, ISO 200, 400mm, 1/400

link to gallery of this one photo, smile

http://upacreek.smugmug.com/gallery/1310742/1/61771640

Ginger, it's a bit soft, it's got a green cast to it, and it's a bit underexposed IMO. Fix the cast, and do a whitepoint adjustment in photoshop. That should help tremendously. Smart Sharpen (but not too much) and then ready it for print, why not just make it the size she wants, that way there'll be no confusion for you :D
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    Thanks, Andy!

ginger
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    I redid this setting the white point in RAW. Somehow I now seem to have a slight magenta cast, but when I try to get rid of that, the green cast comes back, and I don't find this displeasing. If anyone disagrees please let me know.

I cropped three different sizes from 4 X 6 to 8 X 10 for Sara to choose from. I doubt that she would want a bigger size. I certainly do not like what happens with an 8 X 10 crop, but it is OK and will work.

I do like this better. Thank you, well looking again, I did like the old fashioned look on the original one, but I know that this will print OK, and I didn't think the other one would, smile.

61786487-L.jpg

ginger
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    Hi again, I added my touch to this by using a gradient filter, fog, mirror reversed w multiply blend in layers, then I erased the bird from any darkening or color change. It was a red cast, not a magenta, I took as much out as I could. This is my final product, this is to me the magical/unreal virgin of the first corrected version which is more true to how things were. Sometimes I want the "fantasy version". I will sit on it a bit. This has a white line around it to set it off, I do think this photo would look better with a white mat. ginger, thanks again.

61790516-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    61792357-L.jpg

I forgot to add the warming filter, here it is added, so I think I am done, I still think this will print, thank you.

ginger