Options

*Challenge 22: Together

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited September 22, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Canon Elph

8814988-L.jpg

Photography by ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2004
    sorry I missed this...
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Canon Elph

8814988-S.jpg

Photography by ginger

Ginger, I saw your later post where you asked, "Does nobody like Together?". So, I went looking for it. It floated to the end, I guess. This one looks a bit blurry to me. Her face is not clear. Also, that large bright yellow patch on the grass is a bit distracting. I think all the shots with the people looking at the camera are a bit "snap-shot-y". If she were looking at him, it would be better. I do like the one of the lone man on the park bench. I think you can work it up a bit.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Ginger, I saw your later post where you asked, "Does nobody like Together?". So, I went looking for it. It floated to the end, I guess. This one looks a bit blurry to me. Her face is not clear. Also, that large bright yellow patch on the grass is a bit distracting. I think all the shots with the people looking at the camera are a bit "snap-shot-y". If she were looking at him, it would be better. I do like the one of the lone man on the park bench. I think you can work it up a bit.
    Once I ask their permission, they look at me. They change. The only good shots are when they forget and talk to each other or something. And if I have promised them an e-mail.............. well, I have those photos anyway.

Even with that little camera I had today, people watched me. Once they knew I might be taking their photo. The only reason I got the fishing guy from the back was that he was so super interesting looking, but he did not want me to take his picture, and he was all poised to catch me. He had calmed down a bit by the time I took the picture. I had sat on the side of the walkway and just about cried, it has been a terrible week........but I was there awhile, so he lost focus on me, he couldn't fish and watch what I was doing, but he tried, then a friend of his came up. That is when I left and snapped that picture.

So the interesting ones are the ones who are very used to having their pictures taken, like my family, or the ones who hate me and yell at me.

ginger
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2004
    I once read about a photographer that worked by day as a taxi driver. Every once in a while, he would quickly point his camera up and take a picture of whatever was going on in his back seat. He would do this while driving and without the passenger's knowledge. He caught all kinds of crazy moments that people would never pose for and has even been published. I wish I could remember this guys name. He even took pics of celebrities before they became famous. And some after, too.

Anyhow, back when I lived on South Beach I used to love walking down Lincoln Road and I was inspired by this taxi driver. "What if I did that while walking?" So I started just snapping photos from my waist with my arm at full (relaxed) extension *or* I would act like I was fixing my camera and snap shots from my Olympus D460Z. No one EVER noticed or approached me. What are they gonna say? I also found out people tend to stare at your camera from behind mwink.gif. I eventually became very good at this. I was able to tell more or less where the person was in frame and snap some pretty candid shots.

Now...at the time, this was a hobby and I had no intention of selling pics. Nowadays, if you plan on selling a model release is crucial. But since this is fun for us, why not try that technique? Stop killing yourself over asking each and every person for permission. Try this technique out and have some fun. This would be impossible for a 300d but for an Elph....it's perfect :D.

You can see the some of the shots I captured here. They're not great but then again, this was way before I knew what I knew now (which still isn't much headscratch.gif)
    http://art.smugmug.com/gallery/83276

Oh, and lately, with my 300d, I've been basically walking around taking pics with a big smile on my face. No one has opposed or even cared. I try to act like I should be there (if that makes any sense) and it helps a lot. I've noticed that the longer you 'linger' around people, the more comfortable they get. They eventually stop paying attention to you and you can snap away. Kinda like the National Geographic guys in the jungle with lions 'n such.

But I'm just a beginner amongst all the pros. I'm sure someone can conjure up some better advice.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    I once read about a photographer that worked by day as a taxi driver. Every once in a while, he would quickly point his camera up and take a picture of whatever was going on in his back seat. He would do this while driving and without the passenger's knowledge. He caught all kinds of crazy moments that people would never pose for and has even been published. I wish I could remember this guys name. He even took pics of celebrities before they became famous. And some after, too.

Anyhow, back when I lived on South Beach I used to love walking down Lincoln Road and I was inspired by this taxi driver. "What if I did that while walking?" So I started just snapping photos from my waist with my arm at full (relaxed) extension *or* I would act like I was fixing my camera and snap shots from my Olympus D460Z. No one EVER noticed or approached me. What are they gonna say? I also found out people tend to stare at your camera from behind mwink.gif. I eventually became very good at this. I was able to tell more or less where the person was in frame and snap some pretty candid shots.

Now...at the time, this was a hobby and I had no intention of selling pics. Nowadays, if you plan on selling a model release is crucial. But since this is fun for us, why not try that technique? Stop killing yourself over asking each and every person for permission. Try this technique out and have some fun. This would be impossible for a 300d but for an Elph....it's perfect :D.

You can see the some of the shots I captured here. They're not great but then again, this was way before I knew what I knew now (which still isn't much headscratch.gif)
    http://art.smugmug.com/gallery/83276

Oh, and lately, with my 300d, I've been basically walking around taking pics with a big smile on my face. No one has opposed or even cared. I try to act like I should be there (if that makes any sense) and it helps a lot. I've noticed that the longer you 'linger' around people, the more comfortable they get. They eventually stop paying attention to you and you can snap away. Kinda like the National Geographic guys in the jungle with lions 'n such.

But I'm just a beginner amongst all the pros. I'm sure someone can conjure up some better advice.

I read about that taxi driver, too. And I have also read about shooting from the hip thing, as an exercise and as a way of actually getting some interesting photos, mine tend to be less than interesting. So far.

I will look at yours in a minute.

I do linger, that is my trick, usually. Or my husband engages them in conversation, I have gotten shots that way, and my husband is not outgoing, but it has worked that way. But I do take the picture they want, figuring I can keep one and delete the rest, but either they get bored with me and get on with something, and I actually get a picture, or they get bored with me and annoyed. Or they never get bored. The other day, some, particularly the men, they tended to get annoyed. They never got interesting, and the women were always on.

I understand that Andy is in and out. Now he did take that street musician recently, I remember that. That type of guy, one I am as broke as he is, but if I weren't, he is used to people wanting to take his photo and goes on about his business for a good photo. I thought about offering someone money yesterday, I had a twenty, had it for lunch which I never did get (not all for lunch, for the next two weeks, parking, too), but I was not giving anyone a twenty, didn't want to give a five, that would be my lunch.

Well, etc. I think we all have to find our ways. But the people and the age group, etc. that I was asking for pictures of, they would pose for hours, newly weds, etc.

Also, I have never pulled so much attention with that elph in the past. However, I usually only took photos of family.

I did take some photos at the Battery, people studying, they did not seem to notice me: or I was just another annoying tourist.

I wish I had a release on that kid with the birds. I am going to have to start carrying them. I just carry the camera and a very small bag, even ran out of memory cards. I figure no one would sign a release. The man with the kid, he would have, he was so nice and helpful. And knew enough to ignore me, knew my attention was on the birds, then the kid. He was OK with that.

Now those blacks, the ones with souls to be stolen, they are not kidding. And they are camera savy, too. They are terrified of them. The basket sellers, they will let you take their picture if you buy a basket. One basket, one photograph. Posed. But those baskets start at some astromical price. Mostly I am afraid to offer someone money for fear of insulting them. Anyone with a cup out, even musicians, I put a dollar in and then shoot. Charleston is no longer an inexpensive place to live, maybe I should put more in, lol.

With the black fisherman, I did use the wide angle trick, or the "I am only taking pictures of the houses" lie. But it wasn't a very good picture, and he knew I was lying. Smart people these guys are. And sensitive. And sooooo interesting.

There is an old black, dresses like a bum, pushes a cart with newspapers, is always at a busy Mt Pleasant intersection. I am in my car, was embarrassed to ask to take his photo. It would be new to you all, and would generate interest. But he was finally featured in the Charleston paper. He has his doctorate, used to teach at the College of Charleston, but got tired of that game, wanted to be outdoors, etc. So in all weather, he is this old bum at the corner selling papers. I will be pretty desperate before I ask to take his photo, and I would never take it without asking. I would like to spend a day with him, and my Rebel, not this camera.

Thanks for the "correspondence" and advise.

Anyone still here, thanks for listening,

ginger
  • Options
    I really like your shot from the hip shots. You got the whole person. I loved the first one, and the others are good, too.

Thanks for sharing them, smile.

ginger