Nikon finally did it D2X 12.4mpx

patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
edited September 22, 2004 in The Big Picture
Nikon announced the D2X today. I am working on gathering info, dpreview has info here.

Comments

• patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2004
    Zero-Zero, I think you might have your new camera. It will be interesting to see what it will sell for and when they will be available. If only Nikon could have come out with it a couple years ago, I probably would have never switched. I wonder when we will see some samples?

I like the new wireless capture option. I could use that at times.

The 6.8mpx 8fps 2xff is an interesting option, perfect for sports, especially if you need to shoot some editorial portraits, just switch modes. I wonder how it will look in the viewfinder and how easy it will be to use?

2.5" LCD is very nice. I think the D2H has that as well.

A lot of very nice new features. I think they have done extremely well with the specs. I anticipate the images to be very good, hopefully it will impress with its quality.

Nikon also announced a 300/2.8 VR lens.
    ISO 100-800. That seems a little low. headscratch.gifne_nau.gif I wonder why? It will be really interesting to see some 800 samples.

I found some more info and it does allow for use at 1600 and 3200, not sure why it was not listed clearly or if you have to switch to a different mode to use them?
    Rob Galbraith also has info here.

It should be available January 2005.
    Nikon also announced a new film body, the F6. Info here from Nikon USA.

D2X info here from Nikon USA.

Still no price, rumors are around $5000 or 5000 Euros. ne_nau.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    Five posts. Are you sure you switched to Canon? rolleyes1.gif

First time Nikon has used a CMOS sensor... very interesting. Wonder if it will take them time to get it right, or if they hit a home run out of the box. That "sports configuration" is fascinating - essentially shrinking the sensor size in exchange for speed, and incidentally increasing the magnification factor.

They don't say whether or not the sensor is full frame or not. Does that mean it's not? ne_nau.gif And I wonder if the 100-800 ISO in normal operation is because they haven't completely solved the noise problems that seem to come with jamming more pixels on a sensor?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    wxwax wrote:
    Five posts. Are you sure you switched to Canon? rolleyes1.gif

I guess nobody cares about Nikon. I want them to increase the competition, plus I posted the Canon D2 rumor. naughty.gif
    wxwax wrote:
    They don't say whether or not the sensor is full frame or not. Does that mean it's not? ne_nau.gif And I wonder if the 100-800 ISO in normal operation is because they haven't completely solved the noise problems that seem to come with jamming more pixels on a sensor?

It is still 1.5x (2.0x in 6.8mpx mode). It only crops for sports mode, as I understanding. The robgalbraith info shows what the viewfinder looks like.

I am thinking the same thing with the 800 ISO, that it is ok and 1600/3200 are rough. ne_nau.gif Hopefully some samples will be posted.
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    I care about nikon. I have a lot of bucks in Nikon mount equipment. My D100 is a great camera and fits the way I shoot perfectly. I have friends that have both Nikons and Canons and I must say the canons are not trouble free either.

My friend has a digital rebel and has issues with the way is stops down the flash to adjust for abient light. It is fooled a lot by the flash of other cameras going off too close to her shutter trigger causeing a total under exposure, She has not figured out how to fix it yet.

I am very intersted in seeing the price tag on this new camera and was excited when you posted the info.
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    I'm a Nikon guy (D70) and I think the new products are great, but waaaaaaay out of my league. I was hoping for a fast, reasonably priced 70-200 or 70-300 zoom. Hopefully they announce more later?

I'm excited to see the new pics, but this toy would be too expensive to fall in love with :)

Dave
  • zero-zerozero-zero Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    Zero-Zero, I think you might have your new camera.

nod.gif:D

However, and just to keep me pissed, my main customer's photog, for whom I scan and correct thousands of images per year, has announced he will finally start shooting digital with one of them. umph.gif That is a very serious blow to my business - not only I'll have to fork out the big $$$ for the new rig, I will also lose one of my primary sources of income. Oh well. I was expecting it to happen sooner or later, so I have manoeuvered myself into an optimum position as a digital tech / workflow / digital asset management expert. I guess I'll have to let them bang their heads against the wall a couple times to realize that pro-level digital is not as easy as shooting vacation digisnaps.

I'm eager to see some real-world samples from the D2x. Nikon just might keep me for a little longer shooting black lenses.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    Good luck with your business, Z-Z. And I'll be curious to see what you think of the D2x.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    zero-zero wrote:
    nod.gif:D

However, and just to keep me pissed, my main customer's photog, for whom I scan and correct thousands of images per year, has announced he will finally start shooting digital with one of them. umph.gif That is a very serious blow to my business - not only I'll have to fork out the big $$$ for the new rig, I will also lose one of my primary sources of income.

I hope the D2X performs well and Nikon finally delivers for you. I sure would have liked to avoided switching systems and repurchasing everything.

One new area of income my business has picked up is working as a digital assistant/photographer with other friends who are photographers and did not want to purchase all the digital gear and computers. I get paid to work and rent my gear at the same time. It has turned out to be a welcome and unexpected additional source of income, hopefully it will continue.