Options

OOF problems

tsiyatsiya Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited February 3, 2004 in Technique
The past few days, all the shots from the Olympus C2500L have been fuzzy when I use the 2X accesory lens. I can see the picture come sharp in the viewfinder, and then fuzz out before the shutter opens. The lens is crystal sharp with My C4000, Where do I go from here? This is from file, The OOF problem is new. This shot, of course, has nothing to do with the lens.

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2004
    tsiya wrote:
    The past few days, all the shots from the Olympus C2500L have been fuzzy when I use the 2X accesory lens. I can see the picture come sharp in the viewfinder, and then fuzz out before the shutter opens. The lens is crystal sharp with My C4000, Where do I go from here? This is from file, The OOF problem is new. This shot, of course, has nothing to do with the lens.
    The out of focus problem is new but you have used the 2x before?

This looks like a simple depth of field problem to me. With close up lenses your depth of field gets very shallow. try stoppin down to a smaller aperature, or positioning the camera on a parrallel plane with your subject.

unless I misunderstood the question.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2004
    I guess I confused the question
    The flower wasn't an example of the problem. I am having more problems with white birds, for example, than darker ones It might have something to do with the AF locking on something else. Can't use the LCD on the C2500 to frame shots, I am thinking maybe that the lens is not in exact line up with what the camera shows as the central focus area. I'm going to try some shots where I have the subject just out of the bullseye, see if that will grab the focus.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited February 3, 2004
    It might be that your camera's autofocus doesn't work well in the conditions
    you are shooting. Could you try focusing on something equally far away?
    Perhaps depth of field?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2004
    White birds
    Most of the problems have been with white, and large, birds. In bright sunlight there are no lines to lock on, so I am tending to believe that spot focus is just bamboozled in this situation. I got some Great White Egret shots today where the birds were a little wet and muddy, and with more contrast, and things got better. It is My understanding that there has to be some defineable linear pattern for the AF to lock on. There is nothing whiter than a great white or a Snowy in the full Florida Sun. If You see an old guy throwing mud at white birds, You will at least know why, now!! Do I know what I am talking about? Not yet, but I'm working it out. Dirty birds may be the solution.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2004
    Same bird I posted earlier
    On this I had the reference points of the slight discoloration in the feathers and the grass the bird was in, and the focus is still not crystal sharp, but getting away from the problem. When the Sun comes back I will try including an edge of the bird in the focus ring. I usually shoot at all the X power I can hang out front, and the birds fill the spot focus ring.