Dodging & burning in Scott Kelbys CS2 book

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited April 5, 2006 in Finishing School

Comments

• Options
    StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Andrew has me looking at dodging & burning for the 1st time ever. The process starts on P223 & finishes at step 7.. P225.

Is there some sort of typo ? It stops in mid air with step 7...i need step 8.headscratch.gif I have a new layer open ...stuff masked & thats it...nothing else to go on with.

I have this book but at home not here with me now! I will have a look tonight and let you know.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ebwestebwest Registered Users Posts: 416 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Andrew has me looking at dodging & burning for the 1st time ever. The process starts on P223 & finishes at step 7.. P225.

Is there some sort of typo ? It stops in mid air with step 7...i need step 8.headscratch.gif I have a new layer open ...stuff masked & thats it...nothing else to go on with.

I have the CS book and it goes to 10 steps but I don't know if the first seven are the same as yours.

The last line in step 7 is " If the shadows appear to intense, just go to the layers palette and lower the opacity setting until they blend in."

Does that match your step 7?
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 29, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    I have to follow this stuff word for word. There is no step 8 to tell me what to do with the new layer or original. I assumed flatten but that didnt work.

Gustamus,
    My book only goes up to step 7 also ne_nau.gif I have to assume "Merge Layers" or "Flatten Layers" is the next step. Are you sure it doesn't work?
    I mean all this work was done on the new layer. Merging or flattening should take all of that work and apply it to the image. headscratch.gif

Sorry, I'm not much help. I'll have to try this when I get home.

Steve

BTW, how do ya like my new hat?......Laughing.gif
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 29, 2006
    Gus, you know you can dodge and burn on an adjustment layer, by using the brush in Overlay Blending mode using a black brush to burn and a white brush to dodge don't you??

The brush amount needs to be dialed way back - maybe 10-12% for burning and 7-10 % for dodging .

Then adjust the blending opacity of the two layers to taste. The end result is like the Cletus method discussed here on dgrin. Only easier to do I think.

Addendum:
    As I review page 223-225, what Kelby is describing, Cletus discussed here a couple of years ago. We all called it the Cletus method back then. But making a new layer of 50% grey, is an unnecessary step I think. Just use an adjustment layer and paint in the overlay blending mode with a black or white foreground color. The end result will be the same. You can then adjust the opcity even more by using the blending the two layers with the slider.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2006
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    HAH! It is as I have been saying, Humungus, all, it is the vocabulary!

I bet we have all been masking/making adjustment layers, etc. We just don't know that is what it is called. I personally freeze when those terms are mentioned, and I need a picture IN THE BOOK. Then I can say to myself, "OH, yeah, I know that...............". Then my mind blanks out again, as by now I am freezing everytime a term in layers is used. So I never remember the terms from time to time.

ginger

I just opened the book. I have no clue on this, I use the erasure tool, since I can never remember which to use: black or white "paint".

And I have often tried that w/o effect, and it is frustrating. Is that because I don't have a mask yet? That can't be..........the erasure works.

(See, I am getting smarter, I can actually kind of "verbalize" what I don't know")
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    Adjustment layer
    Humungus wrote:
    See mate if its not in the book then i cant do it...i have to do this stuff as i read it. I dont know how to make an adjustment layer..believe me i wish i knew more so i could work my photos a bit better but i am very happy to just sit at the computer with Kelbys book open and a coffee so strong that it would kill a horse ... painting by numbers & huming cat stevens ' im being followed by a moon shadow'.

Is the icon on the bottom of the layer's palette that looks like a circle half white and half black. It will affect ALL layers below it. On my Mac if I hover the mouse over the icon and wait a tiny bit, a little group of words will pop up telling me what the icon is for (or supposed to do). I don't know if this happens in Windows PCs or not.

But you can make a selection on the layer you want to make a change to with the magic wand, for instance and then the adjustment layer will only affect the selected part.

Try here: http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html and click around to find neat movies, etc.

And Kelby is featured on Podcasts. You do not need an iPod to view these. (I don't have an iPod). You will need QuickTime (but it's free and even available for Windows Pcs mwink.gif )

www.photoshoptv.com/ The movie (or podcast) will download to your hard drive so make sure you have enough hard drive space.

You will need iTunes also I believe... but it works on Windows PC also, and is free as is QuickTime.

The neat thing about the podcasts is that you can view them again and again, and even "rewind" to keep seeing the same tip or trick until it makes sense.

Good luck!

Warning -- podcasts can become addictive!:):

You know Gus, there are also a load of free tutorials you can search for on the web. Do I begin to sense you're the impatient sort of fellow?:D
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    You're welcome
    Humungus wrote:
    Thanks dee...some great info that you put some time into.

Im impatient only for anal retentives...if someone can lay the facts on the table im quite happy to look. So many people in here just try & go too deep on a subject to make up what they lack in another i recon.

I just like a book to do things from...you know so you can have a bit of paper sticking out that says 'B&W' or similar so i can just grab it from between my speakers & open it to read.

What "sometimes" happens to "tech" writers is they forget what it was like to start at the very beginning. When my daughter was a tech writer, she'd sometimes e-mail her article or chapter to me to make sure it made sense (I'm not very technical! :D ).

With photoshop it's such a complicated program with so many different ways to accomplish the same task that it's daunting for the beginner.

I'm still amazed at what can be done and the extent of the knowledge of photoshop that I "don't" know... Just watching Russell Brown always leaves me shaking my head in disbelief. Then occasionally there are some online tutorials, where I'm left shaking my head and saying "No" you shouldn't do it that way because...

I forgot one of my good links. We saw her at the Adobe User's Group meeting recently. She left my head spinning! Here's the link! http://shootsmarter.com/infocenter/sa000.html

Oh, and the rest of the people on the site are very good too! A great resource. Have fun!
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    Thanks, Dee. I will look at those places, too, if you and Gus don't mind.

However, I get impatient with all the free wonderful internet stuff. I do the "Gus" thing: book in lap, coffee in hand, and follow book, step by step.

Even if it is a tutorial, and heaven only knows how many of those I have heaven only knows where (I started out organized), I have to have it in print, so I print them and misfile them.

I could use the free tutorials easier if I had another PC system set up right next to this PC so they could both be on at the same time. As I don't "learn" this stuff, I do it as needed...............from the directions on my lap. The stuff I do over and over I eventually learn.

(I saw the Kelby "channels" book yesterday, I think I want it, too........I am so "channels" challenged)

ginger

I have a nano, shoulda gotten the other, after my mini broke (be careful of those things)
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    haha, if you are deaf, or close to it, you CANNOT use this thing: the podcasts. Now I remember why I did not go with the video iPod. Without captions, words are pretty much useless.

There must be a way to turn this thing off. Delete it, or something. How can I be so stupid, whine, whine, whine..........

ginger (I turned off the speakers)
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    It's getting a little difficult for me too...
    ginger_55 wrote:
    haha, if you are deaf, or close to it, you CANNOT use this thing: the podcasts. Now I remember why I did not go with the video iPod. Without captions, words are pretty much useless.

There must be a way to turn this thing off. Delete it, or something. How can I be so stupid, whine, whine, whine..........

ginger (I turned off the speakers)

At least I can't understand people some of the time, especially if they are speaking softly. Sounds like they are mumbling or misprouncing stuff. Makes me feel very stupid! And then alienated! And in noisy restaurants? Forget it.

I started using closed captioning and was feeling very "old" about it. Then you know what happened, my excellent hearing daughter is now using it. Why I asked -- they mumble she said. Go figure. I don't hear high pitched stuff that my kids do. My 85 year old mother has better hearing than I do!

Last time I complained to the doctor they used a water pik in my ears which left me walking dizzily for a couple of hours.

Even using headphones on my Mac I sometimes can't make out what they are saying either, and they surely should use close captioning.

But because they are so visual, I can usually follow along. I need to get better speakers to attach to my Mac. Even the kids say the speakers don't sound very good.