Options

video "play menu" squeezing my video

dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
edited March 29, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I uploaded a small video (160 x ?) which is about 40seconds long. I did it small to fit it less than 8MB. Problem is the window provided to show the video is the same size as the video, without allowing for Microsofts Media Player's controls to fit in as well. My small video is squished even smaller to fit the controls.

The video is the first entry in the gallery here

BTW - I have many options available when I create the MPG-1 file... what settings would you recommend to give me the longest video's that still look pretty good for 8MB? (like video size, frame rate, audio rate, etc.)

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    mug.com/gallery/1305415"]here[/URL]

BTW - I have many options available when I create the MPG-1 file... what settings would you recommend to give me the longest video's that still look pretty good for 8MB? (like video size, frame rate, audio rate, etc.)

I've asked for some help, as I don't deal with video really much at all. Hang in there, thanks thumb.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Search here on dgrin for "youtube" and you'll find some good workarounds for the mpeg-1 limitation, like this one here.

I've done it on my site here.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    What settings would you recommend to give me the longest video's that still look pretty good for 8MB? (like video size, frame rate, audio rate, etc.)
    It really all depends on how long your video is & the lowest data rate you can get away with, without degrading the quality too much. Now, lets take a look at the settings you used for this video:

vid3.jpg

You have a data rate setting of 1068 kbits/sec, which is way too high for a video that is only 144 x 112. You could have gotten away with allot less than that.

I myself use 320 x 240 on all my vids. It depends on how long it is which data rate setting I use. But, a good rule of thumb for that size is try to edit your vids down to less than a minute. I usually set a data rate for a minute of video to around 1000-1200. Since we are dealing with mpeg-1 here, there is only so much we can do & if your vid is too long, you would have to degrade it soo much that it would look like crap & not even be worth posting.

BTW, quicktime plays your small video within the browser just fine (see below) with no crowding of the controls. WMP strikes again! Good luck...Kerry

vidsm.jpg
  • Options
    DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    I agree. Your resolution is too small. Try 320x240 at 500k bitrate on the highest quality setting. That should give you about 1 minute and 54 seconds of video. You should use VBR with the average being about 500k...it depends on the length of the video in question.

What program are you using to encode the video?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Kerry and Dodge: thanks for the great advice!
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    I agree. Your resolution is too small. Try 320x240 at 500k bitrate on the highest quality setting. That should give you about 1 minute and 54 seconds of video. You should use VBR with the average being about 500k...it depends on the length of the video in question.

What program are you using to encode the video?

I'm using Pinnacle studio 9 ... the video came from my little sony T1 camera. I did do a bigger version of the same video (the second one in the gallery but I only got about 20 seconds in 8MB. It did come out great though. When I created it in Studio, I used "custom" settings and the BR was 4000k (I didn't know what I was doing). so it is good to know that I could go as low as 500k if I need to... thanks. I'll try VBR next time too, that makes sense.
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    just another data point for comparison - we use (QT .mov) 282kb/sec for 320x213 video on http://fr3der1ck.com/ (videos are in the right-hand column, ignore HWIYC_dream2_15 and HWIYC_dream1_14 as they're borked right now).
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    BTW, quicktime plays your small video within the browser just fine (see below) with no crowding of the controls. WMP strikes again! Good luck...Kerry

vidsm.jpg
    I agree that quicktime has more reasonably sized controls... I still think smugmug should set the height and width for the image big enough to allow room for the controls without the picture being squished....mwink.gif