Options

ch61: 2nd try

turnipturnip Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited April 2, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
how's this suite the challenge? i'd love some criticism. thanks!

Comments

• Options
    HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    I'd say it fits the challenge to a T! Very good idea! Well exposed, well focused, etc. Maybe try for a more dramatic crop to add tension -- it's a little "standard" right now. I love the shot though!
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Great idea - fits the challenge well - good execution of the idea!! thumb.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    i might reshoot - it's dawned on me that i was shooting with iso400. here's a cropped version to add some 'tension' ;)
  • Options
    ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    HeldDown wrote:
    ... Maybe try for a more dramatic crop to add tension ...
    15524779-Ti.gif101%:D
    2nd version looks better .thumb.gif
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    Great idea! I particularly like the cropped version, little shy on the DOF though, makes me feel myopic. The slight warm tone to it really to my mind anyway makes it feel more like an old b/w photo... like the kind I printed myself that didn't always get enough time in the stop bath..... :D
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    thanks guys. i didn't eat any yet so i might reshoot today. ;)
  • Options
    twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    very creative idea - and the crpped version is wonderful!
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2006
    cropped w/great dof
    I hope this fixes your myopia. :D. Is this better than the first cropped version? I think I like the original better.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2006
    turnip wrote:
    I hope this fixes your myopia. :D. Is this better than the first cropped version? I think I like the original better.

hehe... yeah... that fixes it nicely. Could probably even go somewhat slightly less and still have a teriffic amount of focus for the beans... see how we can see the makers mark on more of them now? I think that little bit of grey adds a lot to the overall depth of the shot. Especially how they slowly fuzz out as they go back into the distance, gives it a lot more feeling of depth.

But what happened to the sharp clear lighting you had before? Now the inside of the cup is dark and showing all kinds of noise it didn't show before, and the beans lost a lot of the lighting that gave them distinction and shape and midtones.

Compared to the original, yeah, I'd say it's a push... one step forward, one step back.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2006
    i ate all the jellies so there's not going to be another shoot. the reason there is so much noise is because i had to brighten the image quite a bit. it was under exposed when i used iso 200 as apposed to 400 ... it's kind of ironic that the 400 shot has less noise than the 200. :P

oh well. :(

thanks for the input!
  • Options
    kepoplekepople Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    I just ran it through Neat to see what it looked like with noise removed.
    Kirb
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    It is a nice shot, and a good idea.

I'm to late now, but I think if the red bean were a little more to the
    rear of the shot, being covered more by the B&W ones, may have made
    it a bit better. (less color). Then again, maybe not.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2006
    kepople wrote:
    I just ran it through Neat to see what it looked like with noise removed.
    Kirb
    holy cow - what's this neat program you speak of? do you have to pay for it? what's it's deal - the image looks so much smoother. thanks man.

*edit*

i just located the software. i should have asked google first. i didn't think noise reduction software really worked (that opinion is based on nothing, btw - :P). i may actually enter this photo into the contest. thanks again for letting me know about it. :D
  • Options
    kepoplekepople Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    Neat Image Software...
    No Problem. I did not know if it was kosher to edit someone elses photo, but I was just curious to see what it looked like.

For those who dont know, Neat Image has a free version and a pay version that can function standalone, or as a Photoshop plugin. I am trying the free version, but am about to donate as its very useful and fast. I prefer to run it stand alone though.

Good shot! and a great idea...of course, I now I want some Jelly's. You should enter it.

Kirby