Options

Roma

chuckhchuckh Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
edited April 1, 2006 in Holy Macro
I haven't gone through all my photos yet, but here are a few pictures from a trip to Rome, Italy that my wife and I took the past 2 weeks. If there is interest, I'll post more photos.

VaticanMuseum_01.jpg

VaticanMuseum_02.jpg

VaticanMuseum_03.jpg

VaticanMuseum_04.jpg

VaticanMuseum_05.jpg

VaticanMuseum_06.jpg

VaticanMuseum_07.jpg

VaticanMuseum_08.jpg

VaticanMuseum_09.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 29, 2006
    very nice-

I'm for more-

thanks for posting-

george
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    very nice-

I'm for more-

thanks for posting-

george

Thank you George, when I get the time to process them, I'll post a few more.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Definitely some interest, these are very nice. Good stuff. #3, the dome, is dizzying!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    hello Photos are superb i always love to see Church or religious buildings
    can you please explain the 2nd picture i can see women surrounded by angels is that women Mariam ? and Angels on top are holding Circle with triangle and eye in it what that mean ?

PM me or post here which ever suites you

BTW i have seen only 1st 4 pictures others cannot be displayed
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    §imone§imone Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Interested in seeing more :): Colour in 1 is lovely. A lot of secretive symbols in 2nd & just love effect one gets here while scrolling down @ 5. Really trippy rolleyes1.gif especially @ 7 in the morning & only functioning on 1 coffee.
    Simone

Canon 350D
    Canon EFS 18-55mm kit lens
    Canon 75-300mm

Fuji FinePix S9500 9 Megapixels

Simone's Expressions - Yarn Over Hook

Sometimes we dont do things we want to do so that others will not know we want to do them. - Ivy Walker - The Village

• Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Very Cool... thanks for sharing these....
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Definitely some interest, these are very nice. Good stuff. #3, the dome, is dizzying!

Thank you Sid, the dome architecture was awesome, particularly at the Pantheon. I'll try to post some of the Pantheon later, these were taken in the many chapellas located the Vatican Museum. They were all hand held and I believe all images in this first set were taken with a 50mm f/1.4 lens.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    hello Photos are superb i always love to see Church or religious buildings
    can you please explain the 2nd picture i can see women surrounded by angels is that women Mariam ? and Angels on top are holding Circle with triangle and eye in it what that mean ?

PM me or post here which ever suites you

BTW i have seen only 1st 4 pictures others cannot be displayed

Hi Awais, very good questions, to which I do not have answers. This image was taken of the painted ceiling at one of the chapellas located in the Vatican Museum, hopefully, someone on this forum may know the answers to your questions.

I'm not sure why you see only the first 4 images, they all display from the same host with just a file name difference. Sorry.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    §imone wrote:
    Interested in seeing more :): Colour in 1 is lovely. A lot of secretive symbols in 2nd & just love effect one gets here while scrolling down @ 5. Really trippy rolleyes1.gif especially @ 7 in the morning & only functioning on 1 coffee.

Hi Simone, I agree, the colors of number 1 are true to life as this image required only cropping and minor sharpening. I did no color adjustment. This was actually a free-standing stained glass that was framed and standing in front of a hallway window in the Vatican Museum.

I agree, that number 7 is tripppy as you scroll it down/up the screen!

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    ehughes wrote:
    Very Cool... thanks for sharing these....

Thanks so much Ed, I'm glad you have enjoyed them.
  • Options
    arroyosharkarroyoshark Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    wow, sharp images!

My wife and daughter were just there last week.
    Available light is any damn light that's available -W. Eugene Smith
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Religious imagery is wild stuff, isn't it? When you step back and look at what you accepted unquestioningly as a youth, it makes you realize how whacky cults get started.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 29, 2006
    Nice stuff chuck! bet it was a great trip too thumb.gif

BTW, scrolling down past this one (fast) is like a weird animated optical illusion Try it: :D

VaticanMuseum_05.jpg
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Religious imagery is wild stuff, isn't it? When you step back and look at what you accepted unquestioningly as a youth, it makes you realize how whacky cults get started.

Just before touring the Vatican Museum, the Pope Joseph Ratinger (Benedict XVI) made an appearance in the square in front of St. Peter's Basilica. There was a crowd of over 10,000 who were in attendance.

Each picture in this set was taken in one of the many capellas in the Vatican Museum. They were amazing. My wife and I enjoyed the Vatican Museum so much that we spent over 4 hours walking the various halls and chapels

Here are a few more taken at the Vatican Museum:

VaticanMuseum_10.jpg

VaticanMuseum_11.jpg

VaticanMuseum_12.jpg

VaticanMuseum_13.jpg

VaticanMuseum_14.jpg

VaticanMuseum_15.jpg

VaticanMuseum_16.jpg

VaticanMuseum_17.jpg

VaticanMuseum_18.jpg

• Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Nice stuff chuck! bet it was a great trip too thumb.gif

It was "mostly" a nice trip. We found that (surprise, surprise) that Americans are not universally well liked, even in a city with a high tourism rate like Rome.

DoctorIt wrote:
    BTW, scrolling down past this one (fast) is like a weird animated optical illusion Try it: :D

VaticanMuseum_05.jpg

That optical illusion is _so_ wild!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2006
    City Shots in Rome -

Down Rio del Corsa on the way to the Vatican:

ToVatican_01.jpg

Interesting architecture can be seen down most any street and alley-way:

ToVatican_02.jpg

Typical street vendor setup:

ToVatican_03.jpg

Still life study at an outdoor cafe:

ToVatican_04.jpg

Placing a local call:

ToVatican_05.jpg

Unplanned stop at a small, but beautiful chapella:

ToVatican_07.jpg

There are many ways to travel to Vatican City:

ToVatican_08.jpg

Kewl architecture along the way:

ToVatican_09.jpg

Pope Ratzinger made an appearance at Vatican City during our visit:

ToVatican_10.jpg
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    All are very nice and interesting...but I was thinking..ROMA - as in Gypsy culture:D ....Oh well .... Still very nice and I did enjoy them a lot.clap.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 31, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    All are very nice and interesting...but I was thinking..ROMA - as in Gypsy culture:D ....Oh well .... Still very nice and I did enjoy them a lot.clap.gif
    Thank you Art. Roma is how the locals refer to their city and yes there is a Gypsy culture that you need to be very aware of in crowded areas like buses and popular venues like Trevi fountain and the Spanish steps.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2006
    Statues
    Statue study:

VaticanMuseum_20.jpg

VaticanMuseum_21.jpg

VaticanMuseum_22.jpg

VaticanMuseum_23.jpg

VaticanMuseum_24.jpg

VaticanMuseum_25.jpg

Statue_06.jpg

TreviFountain_01.jpg

Statue_07.jpg
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    Beautiful
    chuckh wrote:
    I haven't gone through all my photos yet, but here are a few pictures from a trip to Rome, Italy that my wife and I took the past 2 weeks. If there is interest, I'll post more photos.

Did you come home with a sore neck ?? :D What a beautiful series of images you've posted.......gosh brings pack memories, when we were in Rome we spent almost all our time looking at ceilings too .....boyyyy there is some seriously wonderful things painted on the roofs of so many buildings there.

Thanks for sharing........... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Did you come home with a sore neck ?? :D What a beautiful series of images you've posted.......gosh brings pack memories, when we were in Rome we spent almost all our time looking at ceilings too .....boyyyy there is some seriously wonderful things painted on the roofs of so many buildings there.

Thanks for sharing........... Skippy (Australia)

:): My neck was fine, it was my ear-drums that were pounding due to a head cold that started the day we flew back home. Each landing was painful...

Glad you are enjoying them Skippy.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2006
    Piazza Navona
    Piazza Navona: The square is built on the former Domitian's stadium, built by emperor Domitian in 86 AD. Hence the long, oval shape of the square.
    The stadium, which had a larger arena than the Colosseum was mainly used for festivals sporting events. It was known as 'Circus Agonalis' (competition arena).

Working his smile and the tourists for euros, pretty effective btw:

Street_01.jpg

Street_02.jpg

The cafe behind the movie titled: "La Dolce Vita":

Navona_01.jpg

Tuning:

Navona_02.jpg

The architecture was amazing:

Navona_03.jpg

The craftsmanship and detail superb:

Navona_04.jpg
  • Options
    mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    Hey, my wife and I were in Rome at about the same time! We also stayed in Venice and Florence. I've barely had a chance to sort through my photos since we got back, but here's the pope on 3/15:

60565344-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2006
    mwgrice wrote:
    Hey, my wife and I were in Rome at about the same time! We also stayed in Venice and Florence. I've barely had a chance to sort through my photos since we got back, but here's the pope on 3/15:

Kewl, we visited just after you and your wife! We were there March 21-27