Options

making a large print from a 3.1 mb file?

PegPeg Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited April 4, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
Hello
Someone requested a larger sized photo (I had an 11 x 14 in.) I was selling today at an arts and crafts show. I think she would like the 20 x 30 in. size but perhaps even larger. My original file size is 3.1mb taken with my Digital Rebel. Dimensions approximately 2000 x 3000.

If I order that larger size on the smugmug site will the resolutuion still be good? Is there a file size that is the cut-off point for making a a good photo?
I saw also where Andy suggested Big Posters. What would be the advantage in using them? Just simply much much larger copies??

I know the photo size she saw today looked really good and I'm not sure how much larger I can print that and have it still look good.
She's also looking for a price from me as well as the size.
Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Peg

Comments

• Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    I have been watching your pictures and this one http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/52717476 touched me because of the text.
    Like another one with a story behind it sowhere in pbase.
    Very nice pictures. I would like to soot the way you do.:):
    I am sure you "handle" Photoshop very well...
    Best regards.
    Heath.thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    Peg wrote:
    Hello
    Someone requested a larger sized photo (I had an 11 x 14 in.) I was selling today at an arts and crafts show. I think she would like the 20 x 30 in. size but perhaps even larger. My original file size is 3.1mb taken with my Digital Rebel. Dimensions approximately 2000 x 3000.

If I order that larger size on the smugmug site will the resolutuion still be good? Is there a file size that is the cut-off point for making a a good photo?
    I saw also where Andy suggested Big Posters. What would be the advantage in using them? Just simply much much larger copies??

I know the photo size she saw today looked really good and I'm not sure how much larger I can print that and have it still look good.
    She's also looking for a price from me as well as the size.
    Thanks for your help and suggestions.
    Peg

You should be able to print a 20x30 or a 24x36 with no problem from a 2000x3000 image. I have done a number of images at those sizes from that size image and had some awesome results. If needed the lab will upsize and they have done a great job.

Actually for the 24x36 size I used dotphoto.com I have printed about 10-15 at those sizes in the last 3 months from them.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    PegPeg Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    Thanks, Bham
    That's great news. I will definitely check out dotphoto.com also for that larger size. Think I'll order one for myself to see how it looks.
    Peg
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2006
    I have had great experience with dotphoto.com for 11x14, 12x18, 20x30 and 24x36. I haven't tried bigger than that yet. Soon I want to print a 48x72. Want to try it from big poster. Will let you know when I do and the result.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    bham wrote:
    I have had great experience with dotphoto.com for 11x14, 12x18, 20x30 and 24x36. I haven't tried bigger than that yet. Soon I want to print a 48x72. Want to try it from big poster. Will let you know when I do and the result.
    You're aware that you can print 20x30, 24x36, 30x40, right here at SmugMug?
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    Andy wrote:

I did not realized it until you said it. I thought 20x30 was as large as you go. Why is 30x40 under small cameras?
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    30x40 is under small cameras, since it's a 4:3 aspect ratio, typical for small cameras. And my Olympus E-1.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    30x40 is under small cameras, since it's a 4:3 aspect ratio, typical for small cameras. And my Olympus E-1.
    Which units are talking about ???
    cms; meters, inches, yards, ...headscratch.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    JimM wrote:
    I did not realized it until you said it. I thought 20x30 was as large as you go. Why is 30x40 under small cameras?
    Allow me to introduce you to our print catalog :D

http://www.smugmug.com/prints/catalog2.mg
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    Peg wrote:
    My original file size is 3.1mb taken with my Digital Rebel. Dimensions approximately 2000 x 3000.....Peg

I have sold many a 16x20 and 20x30 size posters that were shot with my Rebel at ISO 400 and those prints were great. I was a bit surprised to tell you the truth. I was shooting motocross using sport mode (to get AI SERVO) so I had to use ISO 400.

Since switching to the 20D and being able to set my own ISO the posters are even better.

Go ahead and order a 20x30 it'llbe fine!thumb.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Yes I realize that. A decent price difference why I use the other site. $13 difference in a 24x36.

I wasn't intentionally trying to put recognition for them in but I guess I did.

Hey there is a place out there that if you are printing at least 2 20x30's, even from different files, the price is $10. Sorry but next time I print that size I am gonna give them a shot. When I sell prints through the site I don't mind the higher prices so much because of other things (service, etc), but for larger sizes these places have made me think twice about adding a paypal button getting them printed and delivering them myself. Because after the price difference and then the 15% on the big costly prints and my markup the $'s that I would be giving to smugmug start to get significant, to the point it would be worth my time. Hey I will deliver it for $30.
  • Options
    CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2006
    WOW great galleries !
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    Genuine Fractals is also great for upresing if your a little apprehensive of taking a 6mp pic to 20 x 30 or 30 x 40 inches.....I used their evaluation version on this pic { http://contemporary-visions.smugmug.com/photos/56230366-M.jpg } to have a local lab do a 30 x 40 inches and it was absolutely awesome....BTW I had to use a local lab as there wasn't enuff time to get print from smuggy to me and me to client after signing....I used GF so that I could have as good of quality on my 30 x 40 as I get on 8 X 10's......after all PS was done, except sharping, I saved as a 300dpi file (that actually downsized it to approx 8 x 10 inches, then took it into GF and up sized it back to 30 x 40 inches at 300 ppi and saved it a #12 jpeg.....smuggy says to save as a 10....but I saved as a 12 for my local printer who requested it that way....I also gave them the original non GF'd file as #12 jpeg and they chose the GF'd one telling me it was the best for a 30 x 40......

Personally I want all the leeway I can get toward having "grain-free" extremly large prints as possible and GF makes that possibile.....

With the 30 day demo you can up or down res and SAVE 20 files...then it is done....un like most demos taht don't allow you to save.

Good luck to you.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website