I know just enough to really cause some damage...

landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
edited September 27, 2004 in SmugMug Support
I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on programming HTML on Smugmug. I have figured out how to change the header and footer with hyperlinks and graphics and such. I was wondering how you make multiple page sites that look like this: http://www.emphoto.com/ ? I guess I don't understand what is supposed to go in the other areas of the cobranding. If I could get some basics to help me figure it out that would be great. If it's too involved and I need classes or something, please let me know that too!

Everything I've learned about HTML (which isn't much) I have found on the net..I havn't purchased any books on the subject yet. Does anyone have any reading recommendations?

Thank you!

Laurie :D
Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2004
    landrum wrote:
    I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on programming HTML on Smugmug. I have figured out how to change the header and footer with hyperlinks and graphics and such. I was wondering how you make multiple page sites that look like this: http://www.emphoto.com/ ? I guess I don't understand what is supposed to go in the other areas of the cobranding. If I could get some basics to help me figure it out that would be great. If it's too involved and I need classes or something, please let me know that too!

Everything I've learned about HTML (which isn't much) I have found on the net..I havn't purchased any books on the subject yet. Does anyone have any reading recommendations?

Thank you!

Hi Laurie.. hmmm.. well I use VTC online see here....
    http://www.vtc.com/products/html4.htm

the first few lessons which are so easy to learn as it's audio/visual and you can go back over and over are free. You can probably get enough from that to do what you want.. I often pay for a month and do a whole course (much cheaper than driving to a school) and then cancel it when I'm not in the mood. Lots of courses to choose from including html.
    Good luck
    Lynn
    p.s I am completely self taught from vtc and the odd book..html is pretty easy when you get the drift.
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2004
    landrum wrote:

Thank you!

It looks like the BIO and PORTFOLIO pages on the emphoto.com site are just the journal style page used to good advantage without any HTML (just the links). I am not sure about how the pricing page was done , but I think you could aslo use the journal style and create an acceptable page. I have done this with my site if you want to check it out. My pricing and services is done that way. www.tmlphoto.com
    It is very basic, but seems to work OK. I'm a complete hack when it comes to HTML, but I did manage to get a workable site up ok. Andy's site www.moonriverphotography.com also puts the journal style to good use. Journal style is one of the options for each gallery you create (see smugmug help) Hope this helps.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2004
    Thank you, lynn and tml, for your input. I have gotten some ideas that have helped. I'm sure that this won't seem so tedious once I know it a little better.

Thanks again!! :D
    Laurie

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    landrum wrote:

Thank you!

I wish I had some good news about a quick & easy pill to make a site like emphoto, but alas, it's just not so.

If you watch carefully, www.emphoto.com changes to emphoto.smugmug.com when you go into the Portfolio section. There's a reason for this - only the image gallery pages are hosted at smugmug. The other pages are free-form HTML pages which reside on her own web server.

I know there are other Pros here who are doing the same thing, so maybe they can step in and give you some advice too, but basically, you have to get your own web server seperate from smugmug and set up your homepage, pricing, etc there.

Make sense?

Don
  • landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    onethumb wrote:
    I wish I had some good news about a quick & easy pill to make a site like emphoto, but alas, it's just not so.

If you watch carefully, www.emphoto.com changes to emphoto.smugmug.com when you go into the Portfolio section. There's a reason for this - only the image gallery pages are hosted at smugmug. The other pages are free-form HTML pages which reside on her own web server.

I know there are other Pros here who are doing the same thing, so maybe they can step in and give you some advice too, but basically, you have to get your own web server seperate from smugmug and set up your homepage, pricing, etc there.

Make sense?

Don
    Aaaahhh...yes, that does make sense. Okay, Thank you very much for your help.

thumb.gif

Laurie

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    One thing you can do is use the Journal gallery style to produce price lists, etc.

Then you can just use the HTML font command in the captions.

Here are some examples:

A price list.
    Andy's NYC photo workshop page.
    My testimonials page.

Thanks,
    Baldy