Options

GPS and cameras - a new twist

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,216 moderator
edited April 4, 2006 in Cameras
Adding GPS tags to EXIF's in-camera when GPS capability becomes a standard camera spec has been expected. But how about this...

Instead, add a camera to the GPS unit. :huh
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    This pricey little toy was around quite sometime ago.....

http://www.geospatialexperts.com/ricoh.html ne_nau.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 4, 2006
    After being bit by the technology bug a few years ago, I started buying devices that integrate feature from other devices.

I learned that spending a premium to get integration is not the way to go. It might be a good GPS but it will never be a great camera. I now buy devices that will work together. ie. interface

Garmin Rhino 130 units are another example of great idea with piss poor implementation. They took a good GPS unit and put a CRAPPY FRS/GMRS radio with it. It had many neat features but the radio never really worked as advertised. I have three of them now that I never use. I will be using them soon as I am going to use them for feeding GPS data to my camera. The quad helix GPS antenae is one great feature they have as it allows the GPS to work when carried vertically like on a belt.

I also had the first cell phone that had a GPS built into it. Neat phone but now almost all new phones have it. I had the capability to send my position data to others, but there was nobody else with the phone to receive the data.

Anyway, Neat device.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    I'm thinking of getting the next HP iPaq Pocket PC, the 6915. It's a bit of a Palm Treo ripoff, but it has an integrated camera, and integrated GPS. The camera sucks as bad as most phone cameras, but it can add GPS data to the images. Which would mean that if you're shooting on a location this might be a good solution to use as a visual notebook of what you're shooting with your real camera.
    enjoy being here while getting there