Options

Missouri Lizard

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
edited April 7, 2006 in Wildlife
My Lady Sue just got back from a Scouting trip, without me unfortunately. There are lots of small critters there and this one didn't escape the attention of one of the Scouts, so Sue captured this:
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options
    RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    Neat lookin' critter
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    Imagine a spider Ziggylol3.gif
    Nice capturethumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    Rohirrim wrote:
    Neat lookin' critter

Thanks Steve.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    Imagine a spider Ziggylol3.gif
    Nice capturethumb.gif

Awe John, you're sooo cruel.:D

Thanks for the compliment, and I hope everyone understands that Sue took this. She used a KonicaMinolta Z2 ultrazoom digicam.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    renerene Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    Looks like a Skink to me! My daughter and I catch those guys all the time. Don't try to grab them by the tail or you'll be left with a wriggling piece of tail in your hand :eek1
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2006
    rene wrote:
    Looks like a Skink to me! My daughter and I catch those guys all the time. Don't try to grab them by the tail or you'll be left with a wriggling piece of tail in your hand :eek1

I bet the Boy Scouts would love to see that, but I'll bet it's a little hard on the lizard.

Thanks Rene.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    My Lady Sue just got back from a Scouting trip, without me unfortunately. There are lots of small critters there and this one didn't escape the attention of one of the Scouts, so Sue captured this:

Give boy scouts the order and you have instant handsfull of lizards is my experience

6770635-M.jpg
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2006
    rene wrote:
    Looks like a Skink to me! My daughter and I catch those guys all the time.

yep, its a Skink... they're everywhere at our boy scout camp.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    yep, its a Skink... they're everywhere at our boy scout camp.

Daniel,

You think we're gonna believe you without pictures? I happen to know you have a fine camera and great lenses. Let's see some proof! :D

Seriously, Scouting provides a great opportunity for incredible images. I know when you're tent camping it could be a problem, keeping the camera safe and all. When you're cabin camping, I hope you consider taking it along.

(When I have an extended outing, I still take an older 35mm film rangefinder with the standard lens and a good flash. I can "process only" for around 3 bucks, and then scan the film negatives, yielding wonderful images roughly equal to a 6 MPix digital camera.)

Even an older 3 MPix P&S can get fairly memorable results (image may be too large for dialup):

http://i.pbase.com/v3/56/385156/1/44252600.C_filtered_DCP_0816_Blacksmith.jpg

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Daniel,

You think we're gonna believe you without pictures? I happen to know you have a fine camera and great lenses. Let's see some proof! :D

ziggy53

i'm really contemplating taking it to H. Roe Bartle camp down in Osceola, Missouri this year.... let alone Philmont Scout Reservation.:uhoh but i really wanna take it to philmont. i could get some sweet images up in them mountainsiloveyou.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited April 5, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    i'm really contemplating taking it to H. Roe Bartle camp down in Osceola, Missouri this year.... let alone Philmont Scout Reservation.:uhoh but i really wanna take it to philmont. i could get some sweet images up in them mountainsiloveyou.gif

Daniel,

Be a little careful about using Deet (and other) bug repellent. That stuff will eat finishes and "fingerprints" of it are hard to get off completely. I often have someone else spray me first, or I spray myself and thoroughly wash my hands before touching equipment.

I tend to use a flexible "cooler" bag for camping, like they use for light-duty ice coolers, because it is truly waterproof, and I can put it right on the wet/dirty ground and just rinse the bag off later without worries about wrecking a "good" bag. If you need extra padding, you can buy electronic foam and cut to size. That type of foam is often discarded by computer stores if you want it for free. (A Scout is thrifty.) It tends to be of better quality than typical foams, with less shredding, and it will reduce the possibility of static buildup, it's primary purpose.

Our Troop, and many Troops, does/do not allow electronics on true outings, but the leaders made a conscious decision, and exception, to allow digital cameras, except at night during lights-out. Then everything is pretty much discouraged. You may want to check before to make sure it's allowed by your Troop's rules. (Plan ahead.)

Lastly, but most importantly, post here. I wanna see where you went and what you saw. I live vicariously through other's images.

Yikes, I hijacked my own thread.

Best,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Daniel,

Be a little careful about using Deet (and other) bug repellent. That stuff will eat finishes and "fingerprints" of it are hard to get off completely. I often have someone else spray me first, or I spray myself and thoroughly wash my hands before touching equipment.

I tend to use a flexible "cooler" bag for camping, like they use for light-duty ice coolers, because it is truly waterproof, and I can put it right on the wet/dirty ground and just rinse the bag off later without worries about wrecking a "good" bag. If you need extra padding, you can buy electronic foam and cut to size. That type of foam is often discarded by computer stores if you want it for free. (A Scout is thrifty.) It tends to be of better quality than typical foams, with less shredding, and it will reduce the possibility of static buildup, it's primary purpose.

Our Troop, and many Troops, does/do not allow electronics on true outings, but the leaders made a conscious decision, and exception, to allow digital cameras, except at night during lights-out. Then everything is pretty much discouraged. You may want to check before to make sure it's allowed by your Troop's rules. (Plan ahead.)

Lastly, but most importantly, post here. I wanna see where you went and what you saw. I live vicariously through other's images.

Yikes, I hijacked my own thread.

Best,

ziggy53
    our troop is the same but cameras are okrolleyes1.gif memorys are retained there
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Daniel,

thanks for all the advice Ziggythumb.gif

not sure i'd be able to take a cooler or the things mentioned to Philmont though.... do a search on Philmont Scout Reservation. its a high-adventure camp, and i'm doing it so i can get my eagle *life scout currently* anyways... its a backpacking trip and i get to look forward to 67 miles of hiking on an 11 day stretch... lighter is better. thats why i'm nervous about taking my camera.... no where to put it. its also a bit heavier than my other equipment.

thanks,
    Daniel
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited April 7, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    thanks for all the advice Ziggythumb.gif

not sure i'd be able to take a cooler or the things mentioned to Philmont though.... do a search on Philmont Scout Reservation. its a high-adventure camp, and i'm doing it so i can get my eagle *life scout currently* anyways... its a backpacking trip and i get to look forward to 67 miles of hiking on an 11 day stretch... lighter is better. thats why i'm nervous about taking my camera.... no where to put it. its also a bit heavier than my other equipment.

thanks,
    Daniel

Daniel,

Sorry, I was thinking Philmont had a base camp. My son and I wanted to go, but his sports schedule always interferred. This year, he may not go to Summer Camp because of Boy's State. Oh well ...

Your point about weight is well taken. Years ago, when I was a kid, my brother and I spent 7 weeks in Europe. We backpacked through 7 countries and either tent-camped or youth-hosteled the entire time.

Weight is your enemy.

I think I'll start a new thread about photography and backpacking in the "Technique" forum, just so we can continue with this idea.

ziggy53
    ziggy53