Options

smugmug new features - 09-15-2004

onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
edited September 27, 2004 in SmugMug Support
Got a pile of new features for everyone:
  • New bulk tools, including: rotation, watermarking, moving between galleries, and organizing galleries.
  • Pros now can purchase their own prints "at cost" when logged in. Log out to purchase them at your custom prices.
  • More debug info for us to track down one nasty, hard-to-find bug in the new shopping cart. It's rare, but it's pissing me off. Hopefully we'll nail it now.
  • Some changes to make the site look better on certain browse-the-web-via-TV devices.
  • Lots of other small fixes here and there.

Holler if you see problems or have suggestions on how we can improve the above even more.

Don

Comments

• Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2004
    Excellent! Thank you SOOO much.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    rofl and also thank you, don!
    onethumb wrote:

[*]Pros now can purchase their own prints "at cost" when logged in. Log out to purchase them at your custom prices.

Don

i've been waiting for this one, great job getting it done. love the last part of what you wrote, it makes me laugh :D
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    Ben MacAskill has already heard most of my suggestions (and I'm full of them), but here's one he hasn't: when I'm looking at the details of a sale, and click on the thumbnail of the purchased picture, it should take me to that picture, not the gallery the picture is in.
    Richard
  • Options
    Erik OlsenErik Olsen Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    Ben MacAskill has already heard most of my suggestions (and I'm full of them), but here's one he hasn't: when I'm looking at the details of a sale, and click on the thumbnail of the purchased picture, it should take me to that picture, not the gallery the picture is in.
    Richard
    ...Yes it will take you that picture if the gallery is set for "elegant".

Erik Olsen
    www.manevideo.com
    Thank you,

• Options
    GuzzlerGuzzler Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2004
    Did you impliment bulk download?
  • Options
    Erik Olsen wrote:
    ...Yes it will take you that picture if the gallery is set for "elegant".

Erik Olsen
    www.manevideo.com
    Didn't know that. Thanks,
    Richard
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    Haven't tried all of them yet, but the new bulk split gallery tool is pretty cool!thumb.gif
  • Options
    ExposeTheMomentExposeTheMoment Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2004
    Bulk Up Load
    When will the limet of 100megs be removed, I shoot weddings and up load a gig, and it takes forever.

I would like to select a folder, and walk away knowning it will be uploaded at one shot.

Gary
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

Had a list of gear, now its to long, so lets say I have 2 bags and 15,000 worth of stuff.
  • Options
    Erik OlsenErik Olsen Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    When will the limet of 100megs be removed, I shoot weddings and up load a gig, and it takes forever.

I would like to select a folder, and walk away knowning it will be uploaded at one shot.

Gary

Hi Gary,

If your images are about 2 - 3 mb then you can select about 25 or 30 images (no more than 100mb) to be uploaded... don't click upload quite yet, start another brouser window, and do the same thing... until you have multible browsers running... then click upload on each browser, and walk away, go to sleep, go shot something else, e.t.c.

Erik Olsen
    www.manevideo.com
    Thank you,

• Options

Gary

Hi Gary,

This is a high priority for us, but it's a difficult problem due to the way our current uploaders work.

It's been solved with the Mac OS X uploader already. If you've got access to a Mac, upload as many photos as you like, all at once.

I'm hoping will have good news for the other platforms in the near future, but it's not next week or next month.

One option is, as Erik mentioned, is to just start 10 uploads at the same time, each of 100MB. I know it's a big pain, but browsers like Firefox can make it easier (by using tabs instead of new windows).

Just wanted you to know that we're aware of the problem and actively working on it.

Don
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    How about a drag and drop uploader for firefox?
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    How about a drag and drop uploader for firefox?

The entire smugmug team uses Firefox almost exclusively (and indeed, has done so since Day One), so we'd love it.

No promises, but take that as you will... :)

Don
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2004
    onethumb wrote:
    The entire smugmug team uses Firefox almost exclusively (and indeed, has done so since Day One), so we'd love it.

No promises, but take that as you will... :)

Don
    I use version 0.9.2 and 0.9.3 of Firefox. I haven't been able to get bulk uploads to work on either of them using Java and the standard option is time-consuming. I tried the newest version of Java along with 1.4.1_04 and 05. Even tried the registry hack. Still no dice. Is there anything in the works to get bulk uploads to work with Firefox?

Edit: Nevermind. Adblock was the problem. Solution can be found here.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    PhotoHoundPhotoHound Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2004
    Good Stuff, Watermarks
    The new improvements are great, well done thumb.gif. This site just keeps getting better and better and I love it. One thing though that I would really like to see implemented is the option to watermark different sizes of the same image. Such as not having a watermark on thumbnails but still having them on the medium and larger displayed sizes. The new bulk watermarking tool says that images under 800 pixels will not be marked, yet all sizes still seem to be affected...
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    Watermarking
    PhotoHound wrote:
    The new improvements are great, well done thumb.gif. This site just keeps getting better and better and I love it.

Agreed!
    The new bulk watermarking tool says that images under 800 pixels will not be marked, yet all sizes still seem to be affected...

Now that would be cool. So I'm going to modify my watermarking request in a prior thread. The ability to only watermark large and original images, and not watermark smaller ones, is a great idea. As is the ability to block large viewing altogether. Limit what someone can right-click, but still let them see a clear image. Good compromise?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    onethumb wrote:
    • New bulk tools, including: rotation, watermarking, moving between galleries, and organizing galleries.
    • Pros now can purchase their own prints "at cost" when logged in. Log out to purchase them at your custom prices.
      Don

MUCH appreciated, watermarking and prints-at-cost were at the top of my list.

Lynne clap.gif
  • Options
    HighLightPhotosHighLightPhotos Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited September 27, 2004
    Erik Olsen wrote:
    Hi Gary,

If your images are about 2 - 3 mb then you can select about 25 or 30 images (no more than 100mb) to be uploaded... don't click upload quite yet, start another brouser window, and do the same thing... until you have multible browsers running... then click upload on each browser, and walk away, go to sleep, go shot something else, e.t.c.

Erik Olsen
    www.manevideo.com
    That's exactly what I do. But invariably I wake up to at least one upload failure from those multiple windows. Does anyone else experience this?

Also, I didn't log on just to moan. Great job on the new features, and keep 'em coming!! thumb.gif (did some one say something about a filter to handle the magenta printoutputs........:D :D
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2004
    Somebody may have already suggested this, but in case not, I will. I don't know how possible this would be, but how about custom watermarking for pro galleries? I find the giant PROOF to be a little obtrusive. I would stick my own watermark on there, but I don't want the prints people order to have a watermark on them, even a simple one like my name in the lower right hand corner. What I want to prevent is people printing the picture even at low res without me getting credit.
    Richard