Options

Thoughts Please...

LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
edited April 6, 2006 in Cameras
Canon 20D
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=427287&is=REG

Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=284399&is=REG

What else do I need? What comments do you have? Should I hold out for the 30D? Should I get a different lense? None of this is definate, but just pondering my options.

I plan to do mostly candids, people, some model photography. After I master the equipment I plan on doing Weddings and the ocassional Sports.

ok ok ok... start advising here people :)

Steven
Wandering Through Life Photography
MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex

Comments

• Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    LiquidOps wrote:
    Canon 20D
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=427287&is=REG

Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=284399&is=REG

What else do I need? What comments do you have? Should I hold out for the 30D? Should I get a different lense? None of this is definate, but just pondering my options.

I plan to do mostly candids, people, some model photography. After I master the equipment I plan on doing Weddings and the ocassional Sports.

ok ok ok... start advising here people :)

Steven

if i were you i would get the 17-85 IS.... you get the added benefit of IS, and that extra length on both ends. to me its worth the F-stops.

but get the 20D, to me the 30D isn't that much of an improvement with the new spot metering hack for the 20D out. or are you even sure you want to go with Canon? if you can spring it i'd go try out a D200 if i were you. ya might just fall in loveiloveyou.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited March 27, 2006
    i'm goin Canon... I just love the way it feels in my hand a lot better than the Nikon's... Personal Preference

Keep the comments coming... Thanks!!!clap.gif
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited March 27, 2006
    The 20/30D are great all-around cameras. As long as you're not making a living shooting high-speed sports or huge printed detailed landscapes, the 20D should do nicely.

At $300 US less than the 30D, image-wise, you can't go wrong. I use the 28-75 on my 20D. Great quality for <$400. A bit lacking in the long and wide focals, but it's good glass - sharp, contrasty, and if you think you'll ever go FF, I have read glowing reports from those who have carried it over to their 5D's and are just as happy with it on that body.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    MarkM6MarkM6 Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    Let it be a 30D (it kinda rhymes)
    If you are going for Canon now, why not 30D? At the very least, the 2.5" LCD in the back is well worth it.

My $0.02.
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2006
    MarkM6 wrote:
    If you are going for Canon now, why not 30D? At the very least, the 2.5" LCD in the back is well worth it.

My $0.02.

Bigger LCD just means more time chimping and less time shooting :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    MarkM6MarkM6 Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    Arrrr....
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Bigger LCD just means more time chimping and less time shooting :)

Well... I guess I "chimp" the lighting conditions before I start shooting. You may be right because the most famous photographs in the world are not necessarily the best exposures.
  • Options
    ubergeekubergeek Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4
    The 28-75 is a great lens--I have one myself. If you need a variety of focal lengths in a single lens and don't want to break the bank, that's the one to get! I'd also highly recommend the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, which is a fantastic "normal" lens on the 1.6x crop bodies. I recently acquired one and found it good enough to replace my Canon 28/1.8, which is what I've been using most often for available light and candid shots.

By the way, you mentioned "model photography"--were you referring to people models or scale models? I build model cars as a hobby (well, sort of--I haven't actually done any in a little while) and have had some success in photographing them.

In any case, you wouldn't go wrong with the 30D, but the 20D is great as well. Even the Digital Rebel XT is 90% of the 20D in a smaller and lighter package for a bit less money.

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Jeremy Rosenberger

Zeiss Ikon, Nokton 40mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.2, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Canon Serenar 85mm f/2
    Canon Digital Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4

http://ubergeek.smugmug.com/

• Options
    edited March 31, 2006
    ubergeek wrote:
    The 28-75 is a great lens--I have one myself. If you need a variety of focal lengths in a single lens and don't want to break the bank, that's the one to get! I'd also highly recommend the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, which is a fantastic "normal" lens on the 1.6x crop bodies. I recently acquired one and found it good enough to replace my Canon 28/1.8, which is what I've been using most often for available light and candid shots.

By the way, you mentioned "model photography"--were you referring to people models or scale models? I build model cars as a hobby (well, sort of--I haven't actually done any in a little while) and have had some success in photographing them.

In any case, you wouldn't go wrong with the 30D, but the 20D is great as well. Even the Digital Rebel XT is 90% of the 20D in a smaller and lighter package for a bit less money.

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Thanks for the feedback... Everyone!!

as far as models, i was speaking as in people :)

I also really want something that I can do some weddings with. I've already had to turn down a couple because of lack of equipment... *sigh*

Will the 30D work for the ocassional wedding?

Thanks again all :)

Steven
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited March 31, 2006
    LiquidOps wrote:
    Steven

deal.gif Shay is a full-time wedding photographer using a 20D.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited March 31, 2006
    The 30D seems like a minor improvement over the 20D, but if there is not a major price difference--and you can actually find one--it is probably worth it. I have the Tamron and I love it, though I would say it's too short for sports. I think you are on the right track to just get either combination and then see what you will need next. Good luck.

Cheers,
  • Options
    ripbobripbob Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2006
    Get the 30D. I think the small improvements are worth paying the extra bucks for it. Good luck on your choice.
  • Options
    LizaLiza Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    If you're planning to shoot sports and portraits, you might want to consider the 85mm f/1.8. It's fantastic for gymnasium sports and has beautiful bokeh for portraits when you shoot wide open. For field sports, consider the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L or the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. Either of those would be a good choice when paired with the 1.4x teleconverter.
    Canon 20D | Canon 10D | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 100mm f/2 | 100mm f/2.8 macro| 200 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/4L | 75-300 USM II | Tamron 28-75 | Sigma 100-300 | 580EX | Tamron 1.4x T-con | Various and sundry p&s and film cameras
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,825 moderator
    edited April 2, 2006
    LiquidOps wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback... Everyone!!

as far as models, i was speaking as in people :)

I also really want something that I can do some weddings with. I've already had to turn down a couple because of lack of equipment... *sigh*

Thanks again all :)

Steven

Never depend on a single body for shooting once-in-a-lifetime events. The excuse, "my equipment failed" can haunt you for the rest of your days if a disgruntled couple spreads the word (and they will).

Given that, almost any modern dSLR has been and is being used for weddings and such. I knew of one photographer that got great stuff using a Sony F828 digicam. The camera is but a small component of the total mix for success.

Study, practice, test, gain experience as a second photographer. When you have proven yourself in tandem with another pro, you might be ready to proceed on your own. "... After I master the equipment ..." is a good plan.

Take care,

zig
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    Tamron 28-75 thumb.gif
    Bob
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited April 6, 2006
    I'm with Ziggy. I wouldn't dream of shooting a wedding with only one body.thumb.gif

Or one battery.:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    I'm with Ziggy. I wouldn't dream of shooting a wedding with only one body.thumb.gif

Or one battery.:D

I wouldn't do it with one body either... I do plan on advancing more so in my collection, just for now, I need to enter the DSLR world period.

Trying to decide what to get for my first lense. Should I get the kit lense or just body alone and go with the tamron that everyone talks about?

Steven
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    LiquidOps wrote:
    Trying to decide what to get for my first lense. Should I get the kit lense or just body alone and go with the tamron that everyone talks about?
    Steven

I wouldn't get the kit lens, instead I'd go for the Canon 24-105 F4 IS, or 24-70 F2.8. I'm partial to Canon lenses, after all the glass is going to be a major key to crisp shots.

I'd also go for the 30D, but not just for the LCD. No LCD can show you if you nailed the focus, at least not without spending more time than you should looking at it. The improvements in the 30D seem to be worth the money to me, especially since it's going for what a 20D was going for when it was released. The 100,000 cycle rated shutter and other improvements would make my decision easy. Then if you needed a back up, you could save money by getting a 20D.

Good luck!
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited April 6, 2006
    The Tamron 28-75f2.8 Di has been a great lens for me.

I have praised it here in several threads. Small, light, inexpensive, sharp as a tack. It doesn't focus as fast as a 24-70f2.8 L, but then what do you expect??

My Tammy has crossed mountain ranges and fire roads for the last 4 years without complaint.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2006
    Hate to say I told you so 'bout that lens. :D

It rocks! :)