Options

Digital Camera Suggestions

GKRichieGKRichie Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited April 7, 2006 in Technique
I hope I'm posting in the right forum.
I am pretty new to photography. I've taken very few photo's before. I want to get a digital camera for this summer. I plan to do some climbing, kayaking, and backpacking and would like a decent digital camera to take some nice photos. I am a college student, so my budget is limited (less than $200). Plus, it would be nice to not have to spend much money on a camera because there is a good chance that it will end up in the bottom of a river someday. I would like to use the camera for both scenary and action shots. Some features I would like to have (not all are necessary):
-Decent optical zoom
-Optional remote for picture taking
-Ability to add filter lenses (not important but would be a great feature)
-somewhat rugged, and small; easy to store in daypack
-5+ MP

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
-Thanks

Comments

• Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    The Canon A610 covers just about every point on your list except the remote. I just bought its big brother, the A620 specifically for travel, hiking, and most specifically; kayaking. I have a dSLR for more 'creative' photography when size and weight are less of an issue. As of Tuesday (when I ordered the '620) the '610 was havable for $201, incl S&H. Strikes me as one helluva deal.

I had intended to get the '610 for months now, but for some unexplainable reason I went for the '620 instead the other day when I finally got around to pulling the trigger. The price difference was 'only' $75, and I decided what the heck.

Then again, $75 will just about buy you a 2 GB SD card, then you'd be good to go.

One reason the A-series really got my attention is specifically for kayaking. The A-series have available water-tight underwater cases. I bought one for my new A620 w/ the intention of being able to use it in the boat. Unfortunately what I didn't realize is that the case is quite large! I was expecting it to be a lot smaller and better hug the fairly small camera.. it doesn't! Still, I couldn't find any other way of getting a water-proof camera w/ the features the A-series have.

Resize%20of%20IMG_0093.jpg
    Resize%20of%20IMG_0094.jpg

Pentax has a series of water proof cameras (noted by the 'WP' in their names) that do not need accessory cases. They are 'water-proof' to something like 10' by themselves. My padding buddy has one (Optio 33WR). It works okay, but has no manual controls, cannot take a threaded filter, has poor movie modes, and takes relatively poor looking photos. However it is many, many times smaller than my new A620 + underwater case..