Nikon D50

Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
edited April 8, 2006 in Cameras
I'm thinking of buying the D/SLR Nikon D50 in addition to the Nikon N75 that I already have, (since I also like F/SLRs). So I was wondering how good the D50 is. WalMart has it for $699 with a Nikkor 18-55mm lens, Wolf Camera has it for $599 with the same lens, but without the lens (at Wolf), it's $549

I figure you guys have such high quality pictures in this forum,`cos your SLRs cost $800 and up. So would this D50 do as well of a job as the ones you guys have? I surely hope so!

And, I've heard this D50 will almost double the power of a lens, that if I connect my (generic Sigma) 70-300mm lens, it will become like 105-420mm. Is this true? If so, all the more reason to buy this $549-$599 camera.:):

Just needed to know this things,`cos I'm still a beginner, reason being, I've had lil' or no time to learn anything about SLRs. So far, I can't seem to get pictures as sharp and vivid as the ones I see on here. Mine look great on photo, but on here, they look pretty fuzzy.:wxwax

Thanks!
http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
Camera: Nikon D50
Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
Bag: Canon 200DG

Printer: Canon PIXMA iP6700D

Fisher-Advent Audio

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    Hiya ZR wave.gif

A D50 (or any other Nikon dSLR) will effectively multiply the focal length of your lens by 1.5. Your 70-300 would act like a 140-450.

The D50 is a pretty neat camera because it takes great pictures, but to keep costs down Nikon just left out some of the features of the other dSLRs like the D70 & D70s.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    I'm thinking of buying the D/SLR Nikon D50 in addition to the Nikon N75 that I already have, (since I also like F/SLRs). So I was wondering how good the D50 is. WalMart has it for $699 with a Nikkor 18-55mm lens, Wolf Camera has it for $599 with the same lens, but without the lens (at Wolf), it's $549

I figure you guys have such high quality pictures in this forum,`cos your SLRs cost $800 and up. So would this D50 do as well of a job as the ones you guys have? I surely hope so!

And, I've heard this D50 will almost double the power of a lens, that if I connect my (generic Sigma) 70-300mm lens, it will become like 105-420mm. Is this true? If so, all the more reason to buy this $549-$599 camera.:):

Just needed to know this things,`cos I'm still a beginner, reason being, I've had lil' or no time to learn anything about SLRs. So far, I can't seem to get pictures as sharp and vivid as the ones I see on here. Mine look great on photo, but on here, they look pretty fuzzy.umph.gif

Thanks!

I've never used the D50 but the folks I know who have one seem happy with. If I was starting out I probably would spend a few $ more and go with the D70.

Here's an excellent review of the D50
    http://bythom.com/D50REVIEW.htm

The D50 has a 1.5 magnification factor so that a 70-200 zoom becomes a 105-300mm zoom. Great for the zoom factor not so good for the wide angle shooter.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    rolleyes1.gif I went ahead and got the D50 without the Nikkor 18-55 or 28-80mm lens. Saved $50, but I guess I'll order a real Sigma lens out of a magazine someday,`cos no one sells Sigma around here.

I am so far very pleased with the D50. It has a rechargable battery that can take up to 250 shots before having to recharge it. It has a 1/4k shutter speed. Twice the amount than my N75.

So since it's true that the D50 gives a film-lens 50% more focal-length, I'm pretty happy. Just hope since this camera is almost like a computer, that it won't start having problems anytime soon,`cos I've heard they can act up. I didn't really wanna buy a D/SLR in the past,`cos of that reason, that they don't last near as long as an F/SLR. We'll see.

Now I'm waiting on the battery to charge all the way for the first time. So far it's been charging for a half an hour. Then I'll take it outside to see what night shots I can get.thumb.gif

Thanks!:):
    http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
    Camera: Nikon D50
    Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
    Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
    Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
    Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
    Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
    Bag: Canon 200DG

Printer: Canon PIXMA iP6700D

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    Thanks!

It's a fine camera and made to get great shots right from the camera with little or no post processing. Here's a great way to see photos from this camera: http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/d50

Keep in mind, results may vary!...based on who's taking the pictures, lighting, subject, etc. So if you see some horrible photos in that link, it's not the camera.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    I'm an olympus fan myself, however the D50 appears to be a great camera. I would definately stick with it over the D70. The D50 has the exact same sensor as the D70. There are just less features.
    D50 is well built. Go for it.
    If you are not stuck on Nikon, Olympus E-500 is a great option too.
  • retroretro Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    I'm an olympus fan myself, however the D50 appears to be a great camera. I would definately stick with it over the D70. The D50 has the exact same sensor as the D70. There are just less features.
    D50 is well built. Go for it.
    If you are not stuck on Nikon, Olympus E-500 is a great option too.
    well said, and the D50 has less noise at higer ISO's then the D70 or the D200. You can't go wrong with the D50 imo. Great camera for a great price!
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2006
    retro wrote:
    well said, and the D50 has less noise at higer ISO's then the D70 or the D200. You can't go wrong with the D50 imo. Great camera for a great price!

Having the same sensor as the D70, the D50's "less noise" is almost non-existent; it is simply more apparent because of the very different in-camera processing that the D50 applies to images, since Nikon is assuming D50 users are going to want to do less computer processing and more direct-printing. It does however have a mysterious (dubious) advantage in high ISO performance over the D70, but Nikon has not been willing to explain this in full. Suffice it to say the advantage is not that noticeable at all for someone who may be printing directly from camera, though someone who is "digital push processing" (click HERE) will indeed notice a difference.

The D200 however does indeed out-perform all other Nikon "prosumer" DSLR's by a very noticeable margin. It doesn't surpass that of the Canon 20D or 30D for example, but it is the best that Nikon currently offers in the prosumer price range. You can make ISO 800 from a D200 look better than ISO 1600 from a D70 or D50.

You don't have to believe me blindly on that, but I've tested images and drawn that conclusion.

-Matt-

PS: To the original poster Zoom Raider:

I shoot professionally and also as a hobby with the D70, and have done so for over 2 years and 60,000 images. And for what it's worth, when my D70 bites the dust in a year or however long, I plan on diverging paths- owning a D50 as well as a D200. And I would go as far as to say that I'd purchase the D50 first, if I were pressed for cash at the time my D70 were to die. the D50 is that good of a camera, that I would confidently shoot with it on a paid job.

That and the un-believably sharp 18-200 DX VR; I can't wait to get my hands on one of those for event photography... The usefullness and it's inherent "never-miss-a-shot guarantee" far outweighs the ever-so-slight image softness, and in 90% of decently lit situations, ISO 1600 combined with the VR can easily counter-act the relatively tight apeture.
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum