Options

Picture Mats using Photoshop

mkpatilmkpatil Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
edited April 11, 2006 in Technique
Any pointers to creating picture mats (as in photo mats and frames) in any version Photoshop.

Thank you in advance.
Milind

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    Here.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

Thanks David!

I will try to see if I can create bevel mat using this technique. I think bevel matt looks like any real matt, with inside edge surface visible on 2 sides and shadow or dark side on the other two edges. I had visited a site that explained this using Bevel and Emboss command on the matt layer, but I don't seems to find that now. Thanks again for the prompt reply!
  • Options
    LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    It's not too hard to do with the bevel function in Photoshop:

1) Open your image and edit as necessary.
    2) If the image rests on the background layer, select Layer | New | New Layer From Background. Click OK.
    3) Create a new layer below everything else. This layer will be the "matte". It can be a solid color, a texture, or anything you can think of; this layer can be edited at any time.
    4) Go to Image | Canvas Size. Expand the canvas however you wish (the 2.5% values used in the above tutorial work well).
    5) Select the layer which contains your photo and go to Layer | Layer Style | Bevel and Emboss.
    6) Change the following:
    • Style option to Outer Bevel
    • Technique option to Chisel Hard (although this is personal preference)
    • Enlarge the Size option to acheive the look you want.
    7) Play around with the other options all you want.
    8) Done! :):

I was messing around with this as I was figguring out how to do it and a couple things I tried that worked well with a textured / photo "matte" were changing the Highlight and Shadow Mode to Overlay or Soft Light. Also, using an expanded version of the photograph as the "matte" looked fairly cool IMO.
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2006
    Thanks for your help...