Options

Cleaning the sensor

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited September 29, 2004 in Digital Darkroom
I'm about to clean the sensor on my DRebel for the first time. I have so much junk on the shots, mots, fluff goodness know how. Is there anything I should know before I attempt?? I'tll be a first for me and I'm "skeered".

Lynn:huh

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    I'm about to clean the sensor on my DRebel for the first time. I have so much junk on the shots, mots, fluff goodness know how. Is there anything I should know before I attempt?? I'tll be a first for me and I'm "skeered".

Lynneek7.gif

I've never done it, but I found this.

And this.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    lynnma wrote:

Lynneek7.gif
    I would have it done, locally if possible. I read something scary. So even if the booklet does give instructions, I would be too scared.

And you all know how up on it I am lately. If I could SNAFU it, I would.

Ask Andy, Sid, the old timers............ or particularly people who are old timers, but who have owned a Rebel. Or go to dpreview, register and ask them, or use their archives. Invaluable stuff!

Just my take. I have times, too, when I think my sensor needs cleaning, am letting it go so far.

In addition to my exposure SNAFU at the beach, I changed lenses, thought the camera bag was safe for a minute, accidentally left the top open. Just in the right direction for the hole digging dogs to throw all of their sand in.

I am batting 100 here. I will agree with you, though, on my saved shots..........better than if they were straight. However there were a lot of complete losses. I would not clean a sensor right now if you paid me.rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for commenting on my thread, even if that is your role here. I was afraid it was going to be buried and no one would see it. Yesterday was a full and fun day. I am catholic, you know, up and down......... I could feel the effects of yesterday in my muscles, today. To sit on rock with a fierce tide coming in, the wind roaring, etc. It was beyond anything I thought was still in my life.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    sensor cleaning - nothing to be afraid of
    and, something that every dslr owner should be able to do for themselves...

my method is the "copperhill" method, described right here

you need "eclipse" cleaning solution and either you make your own swipes as described in the copperhill pages or you buy "sensor swabs"

the first time may feel a bit daunting but after that, it's a cinch, takes about five minutes or less.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2004
    andy wrote:
    and, something that every dslr owner should be able to do for themselves...

my method is the "copperhill" method, described right here

you need "eclipse" cleaning solution and either you make your own swipes as described in the copperhill pages or you buy "sensor swabs"

the first time may feel a bit daunting but after that, it's a cinch, takes about five minutes or less.
    Thanks Andy.. I knew there must be more to this than just blowing into the lens..rolleyes1.gif
    Lynn
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2004
    i never ever blow
    lynnma wrote:
    Thanks Andy.. I knew there must be more to this than just blowing into the lens..rolleyes1.gif
    Lynn

some folks like the gitzo rocket blower, i find that makes things worse. i don't blow inside the camera, i only use my blower on the lens, front and rear, before i do my lens cleaning (blow, mink brush, then cloth)

:D
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    andy wrote:
    some folks like the gitzo rocket blower, i find that makes things worse.
    nod.gifnod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2004
    andy wrote:
    some folks like the gitzo rocket blower, i find that makes things worse.

I found out the hard way. When it came time to clean the sensor for the first time, I was willing to try anything before touching the sensor. I had about 12-15 specks before I used the blower. When I was finished, I had 100+. It was a mess. I was forced to use the copperhill method & it went fine.

Dave
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    I found out the hard way. When it came time to clean the sensor for the first time, I was willing to try anything before touching the sensor. I had about 12-15 specks before I used the blower. When I was finished, I had 100+. It was a mess. I was forced to use the copperhill method & it went fine.

Dave
    Me thinks maybe I should stay with the motts for a week or two...eek7.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited September 6, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Me thinks maybe I should stay with the motts for a week or two...eek7.gif

No blower! - Eclipse fluid and sensor swabs are the ticket. The swabs are expensive, but a lot cheaper than a new sensor. Kind of like all new initiations - the first time is the most exciting, after that it becomes routinerolleyes1.gif:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    No blower! - Eclipse fluid and sensor swabs are the ticket. The swabs are expensive, but a lot cheaper than a new sensor. Kind of like all new initiations - the first time is the most exciting, after that it becomes routinerolleyes1.gif:D
    shall I just order the stuff online? or shall I go shopping to a camera store.. it's about $38 online.. seems like a lot to get rid of motts.. hmmm, really buggin me tho. I have to go over everthing with a fine tooth comb... just in case Pathfinder sees the shot.. he's got an eye for motts.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2004
    good prices
    lynnma wrote:
    shall I just order the stuff online? or shall I go shopping to a camera store.. it's about $38 online.. seems like a lot to get rid of motts.. hmmm, really buggin me tho. I have to go over everthing with a fine tooth comb... just in case Pathfinder sees the shot.. he's got an eye for motts.rolleyes1.gif

here's a good deal on eclipse fluid

sensor swabs are $48 per box, haven't found a better price anywhere, headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2004
    andy wrote:

sensor swabs are $48 per box, haven't found a better price anywhere, headscratch.gif
    thanks andy.:D
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2004
    andy wrote:

$42.95 at B&H

Edit: But they won't ship the Eclipse solution. Adorama will, and they have the sensor swabs for the same price.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    $42.95 at B&H

Edit: But they won't ship the Eclipse solution. Adorama will, and they have the sensor swabs for the same price.
    Thanks.. I ordered some.. phew.. expensive arn't they.. now I have to get solution.. they won't deliver through the mail..:D
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2004
    Now I decided I need to put some of my favorite pics in a portfolio instead of having them strewn about all over the place.. what and where do you suggest the best for the best price...

Lynn
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2004
    sensor swabs
    My sensor swabs arrived...now I have to go buy the fluid, they don't ship it in the mail.. I've printed out just about every tutorial there is on "cleaning the sensor" and I have a bottle of Tanquary and a lime ready for after (the tutorial says to do that. I'll pick a day when I'm feeling very brave and competent.. (not today) and I'll post the results. It's gonna be ok right??eek7.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited September 9, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    My sensor swabs arrived...now I have to go buy the fluid, they don't ship it in the mail.. I've printed out just about every tutorial there is on "cleaning the sensor" and I have a bottle of Tanquary and a lime ready for after (the tutorial says to do that. I'll pick a day when I'm feeling very brave and competent.. (not today) and I'll post the results. It's gonna be ok right??eek7.gif
    I'm headed down to Hunt's today... want me to see if they have some?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited September 9, 2004
    lynnma wrote:

Check my post above. After linking to B&H, I found Adorama will shipt the fluid. The link's in the post.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'm headed down to Hunt's today... want me to see if they have some?
    Yes please.. I may go over later as well... maybe they could put some by...:D
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    Check my post above. After linking to B&H, I found Adorama will shipt the fluid. The link's in the post.
    Yes thanks David... I think I'll pick some up (gives me more time to get brave) and not pay the shipping.. thanks for the swab tip tho.. they came..
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2004
    Per Andy's advice I just got the Copperhill kit. Piece of cake. Here are the results of my first swipe:

Before:
    9018512-L.jpg

After:
    9018513-L.jpg

As you can see, there are a few bunnies still there, but it is a HUGE improvement. Plus I bumped contrast +50 to accentuate the spots. I am going to do another swipe now that I am comfortable knowing this is no big deal at all.

Doug
  • Options
    dugmar wrote:
    Per Andy's advice I just got the Copperhill kit. Piece of cake. Here are the results of my first swipe:

Before:

After:

As you can see, there are a few bunnies still there, but it is a HUGE improvement. Plus I bumped contrast +50 to accentuate the spots. I am going to do another swipe now that I am comfortable knowing this is no big deal at all.

Doug
    Great!!! I'm feeling better about doing it every minute!!:D Thanks for showing me... it's definitely worth it..
  • Options
    lynne, please ...
    lynnma wrote:
    Great!!! I'm feeling better about doing it every minute!!:D Thanks for showing me... it's definitely worth it..

don't do it "every minute" lol3.gif
  • Options
    andy wrote:
    don't do it "every minute" lol3.gif
    Every minute.. ha ha ha every minute.. must be the dental drugs Andy :roll

p.s. your bunnies are much worse than mine.. except.. I think I have grass in mine too... (from shooting the Calendar Girls in the rain on the grass)..

On the local common... (yes they were dressed)...recognize anyone???????rolleyes1.gif

6357442-L.jpg
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2004
    I just cleaned the sensor on my 10D using the "CopperHill" method. Everything seems to have gone well. No explosion or nothin' eek7.gif . Thanks for the link Andy.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com