Options

WTB: Simple, cheap, mainly for snapshots DC

RedhedRedhed Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited April 16, 2006 in Flea Market
Hey all,

I'm somewhat of an amateur photographer who is slowly trying to move up in the photo world. I have been through three digital cameras already - a Nikon 3100 (compact), a Canon SD-20 (ultra-compact), and my current camera is a new Kodak P850 (SLR-like). The Nikon barely works anymore, I lost the Canon, and the Kodak is much bigger than what I'm used to, but allows for more versatility.

So here's what I'm really posting for: I am looking to buy a compact or ultra-compact digital camera that I can use when I don't want to risk damaging my Kodak. As a college kid, I like to take pictures with my friends and bring a camera around in my purse for random snapshots--so I would like a smaller, simpler camera to take in place of my Kodak. I'd like at least 3mp, a zoom of some sort, flash, takes decent pics, known brand (no "funcam" or anything), small, and affordable.

I liked my Canon and my Nikon, so anything like those would be good. I would like to spend less than $100, preferably much less (note the "college kid" reference above and place "broke" before it). :oogle

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 10, 2006
    ok, you want a cheap and compact point and shoot digicam, right? but, uh, in your list of what you have, you said a Canon 20D, and you called it a "ultra-compact" and that you subsequently lost it? There's definitely a typo in there...

Canon 20D
    canon-20d.jpg

Regardless, when looking for a point-and-shoot there are, in my opinion, 2 main things: price, and pocket-size/not necessarily pocket size. The latter just means that if you need it to be tiny, you sacrifice some glass quality. As in, for the same money, you can get better quality photos of a bigger camera... tyipcally.

So Redhead, what I'm saying is (as the flea market moderator type): please make it clear and simple as to what your looking for.

If you need advice, we've got a great gear forum thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited April 10, 2006
    Wow! Thanks! I guess I was just dreaming when I said "20D"...I meant Canon SD20! I'll go back and edit that now.

I thought I made it pretty clear as to what I was looking for...compact, but not terrible. It doesn't have to be professional quality or anything. I'd mainly use it for snapshots and posting to smugmug for friends and family to see. I'll use my Kodak for pictures that I actually want to look professional! I enjoyed my canon sd20...it took decent pictures, but it was still tiny. The only thing I missed in that camera was a zoom.

I'll be sure to get my facts straight next time! mwink.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,901 moderator
    edited April 11, 2006
    Redhed,

The $100 (or much less) budget is pretty limiting. You are definitely talking the used market, and even then you may not get very much in the digital realm.

Have you checked www.Geeks.com?

They usually have some low-end cameras, and their refurbs are hard to beat, price wise.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,901 moderator
    edited April 11, 2006
    Redhed,

You may be in luck. They list a not-too-bad 5MP Kodak for $89.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=C315-R&cat=CAM

Good luck,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    For $100, you won't be getting much. There are some nice cameras that aren't too expensive though. Have you looked at the Panasonic FX-series? The FX-8

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/panasonic_dmcfx8.asp

It doesn't look like too bad of a camera. It's around the $250 range, but I'm sure you could get one a bit cheaper since there is now an FX9 out.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Redhed,

The $100 (or much less) budget is pretty limiting. You are definitely talking the used market, and even then you may not get very much in the digital realm.

Have you checked www.Geeks.com?

They usually have some low-end cameras, and their refurbs are hard to beat, price wise.

ziggy53

Thanks Ziggy! I'll check out that site right now!

Also...with my $100 budget, I'm DEFINITELY looking for used. I know I can't expect to find anything decent for $100 new. I was hoping someone here would have an old camera laying around somewhere that they don't use anymore...
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2006
    How do you feel about a Nikon Coolpix SQ?
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 12, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    How do you feel about a Nikon Coolpix SQ?

After reading some reviews noting bad image quality, I'm not so sure...it all depends how much the seller is asking for it! More info, please?
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2006
    I have one at home that I "gave" to MrsIt. She rarely uses it now that we have 2 dslr's, and I already have another pocket p&s for myself. but let me check on it tonight.
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 12, 2006
    Sounds great!
  • Options
    nrChrisnrChris Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    ..."gave" to MrsIt....

We (especially Hannah) are miffed that you got married without even telling us. Shoot your own damn wedding!

-Chris
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2006
    nrChris wrote:
    We (especially Hannah) are miffed that you got married without even telling us. Shoot your own damn wedding!

-Chris
    Don't be offended, I didn't even tell T. lol3.gif

Redhed - totally spaced, I'll check on it tonight.
    Erik

• Options
    raianraian Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2006
    I've gotten nice used stuff off of ubid.com. I got a decent Fuji FinePix. It sux at action shots but for just taking pictures it's pretty nice and easy to use. Be sure you read what you are buying. Mine was "refurbished" but honestly it appeared and operated like new.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2006
    Redhed wrote:
    Sounds great!
    I checked on the SQ. You're right, the bad reputation it has for image quality makes it worth so little, that it doesn't make sense to sell. MrsIt likes the neat swivel design and size. I like the fact it uses CF. So, the puny amount of cash it'd bring wouldn't justify getting rid of it.

Sorry Red.

but a bump for your request. I'm sure you'll find something, if you haven't already.
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 16, 2006
    Thanks, DoctorIt! I'll keep searching....