Options

The land of Quigley

cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
edited February 4, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
I took this picture of the Blue River last September while in Colorado. For the ADVRider crowd, this picture was taken about 5 miles due north of where our beloved Quigley lives. Now go ahead and critique it for me... please.

2077241-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2004
    Lovely shot, gorgeous colors. I'd be tempted to crop some of the sky, and shed more light on the dark foreground to the right. Too much dark stuff. Do you have multiple exposures at different settings of the same shot, from a tripod? If so, hunt around here for tips on how to overlay to create create a wider range of light in one shot.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Lovely shot, gorgeous colors. I'd be tempted to crop some of the sky, and shed more light on the dark foreground to the right. Too much dark stuff. Do you have multiple exposures at different settings of the same shot, from a tripod? If so, hunt around here for tips on how to overlay to create create a wider range of light in one shot.
    Ok... I'm going to disagree. :) I really like the gradation of the sky from the light blue to the darker blue and like the balance the long reach of sky gives.

I also like the darks and feel there is extra drama created. I would probably recommend leaving the shot alone. JMHO
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Do you have multiple exposures at different settings of the same shot, from a tripod?
    I do. I bracketed this shot -1,0,+1 stop. This is actually the +1 stop image, so I don't have anything with any more detail in that dark corner.

Thanks for your comments!

-Eric
  • Options
    Stephen!Stephen! Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    I took this picture of the Blue River last September while in Colorado.
    Here's a similar shot taken in Kings Canyon in 2002... It's been "web reduced" so the quality of this version is lacking a bit.

kings004.jpg
    --
    Si hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    http://imagesdesavions.com
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2004
    Here's a quick "Let's stop and take a picture" kind shot... I was in a hurry to bust out my collapsable fly rod... Other than the tilted horizon I think it turned out rather well.

(Extra credit for identifying the location without peeking at the image index)

0102.jpg
    --
  • Options
    Richard CabesaRichard Cabesa Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2004
    Hwy 4, Lake Alpine?

David
    Stephen! wrote:
    Here's a quick "Let's stop and take a picture" kind shot... I was in a hurry to bust out my collapsable fly rod... Other than the tilted horizon I think it turned out rather well.

(Extra credit for identifying the location without peeking at the image index)

0102.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2004
    Hwy 4, Lake Alpine?

David
    Yuppers... I *LOVE* that road... Used to be tough deciding whether to take the '88 CRX Si or the '92 K75s when the snow finally melted...
    --
  • Options
    Richard CabesaRichard Cabesa Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2004
    Stephen! wrote:
    Yuppers... I *LOVE* that road... Used to be tough deciding whether to take the '88 CRX Si or the '92 K75s when the snow finally melted...
    Yea man, 50 miles of high speed sweepers up one side and 30 miles of this stuff down the other.
    952018-M.jpg
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2004
    Stephen! wrote:
    Here's a similar shot taken in Kings Canyon in 2002... It's been "web reduced" so the quality of this version is lacking a bit.

kings004.jpg
    That water is so clear! I was going to guess polarizer, but the sky is too pale. I love the mtns.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2004
    fish wrote:
    That water is so clear! I was going to guess polarizer, but the sky is too pale. I love the mtns.
    Nope... Yer right... No polarzier... It's the same digital camera with the hide-away lens that took 99.9% of all the other pictures on my site... No way to really out a filter on there... Shame too. I love carrying a skylight and a polarizer on my 35mm 24/7...

The picture is of upper King's River in King's Canyon in King's National Park... I took it in August 2002. The color of the sky was probably a function of all the forest fire smoke in the area...

Here's some of the extended info from the original... It's a bit better looking:

Model - HP PhotoSmart 618 (V1.10)
    ExposureTime - 3507/1000000 seconds
    FNumber - 4.8000
    ISOSpeedRatings - 100
    ShutterSpeedValue - 1/500 seconds
    ApertureValue - F 5.66
    SubjectDistance - 65.5300 m
    FocalLength - 5.2000 mm
    --
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2004
    Stephen! wrote:
    The color of the sky was probably a function of all the forest fire smoke in the area...
    Here's some more of that smoke:

attachment.php?attachmentid=116&stc=1
    --
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2004
    Yea man, 50 miles of high speed sweepers up one side and 30 miles of this stuff down the other.
    I pushed my K11LT so hard down the east side one day my EBC's faded to almost nothin... *THAT* was spooky...
    --
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Ok... I'm going to disagree. :) I really like the gradation of the sky from the light blue to the darker blue and like the balance the long reach of sky gives.

I also like the darks and feel there is extra drama created. I would probably recommend leaving the shot alone. JMHO

No sweat. Here's a weak effort at illustrating what I was saying. Seems to me the rocks in the foreground are much more powerful with some cropping at the top. Can't you just feel your eye being drawn into the shot? lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    No sweat. Here's a weak effort at illustrating what I was saying. Seems to me the rocks in the foreground are much more powerful with some cropping at the top. Can't you just feel your eye being drawn into the shot? lol3.gif
    You're right. It does give a nice effect.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2004
    A couple more
    OK, I got around to moving a couple more images up to smugmug

2262139-M.jpg

2262140-M.jpg

This one would have been better without all the little rocks in the foreground. I don't like the look with the bottom just cropped though. Ideally I should have moved forward to get the rocks out of the shot. As cold as that water was I didn't want to go stand in it!
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2004
    I like the rocks in the foreground. It gives it depth, IMHO