Options

UFRAW Help

turnipturnip Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited April 13, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
If anyone is familiar w/UFRAW:

.NEF files, when saved w/UFRAW, are reduced to a res of 96dpi. How can I save the files so that they are saved at 300dpi? I've tried to save them as 8 & 16 bit TIF's and PPM's but they are still reduced to 96dpi.

Thank you,
Nathan.

Comments

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    turnip wrote:
    If anyone is familiar w/UFRAW:

.NEF files, when saved w/UFRAW, are reduced to a res of 96dpi. How can I save the files so that they are saved at 300dpi? I've tried to save them as 8 & 16 bit TIF's and PPM's but they are still reduced to 96dpi.

Thank you,
    Nathan.

I'm not familiar with UFRAW, but why are you concerned with the dpi of your images?
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    I use Adobes ACR and it saves at 72dpi and that is fine for prints up to 30 x 40 inches as long as I am using the whole native set of pixels (all 3008 x 2000 of them).....the printers will using rip software to get the file to what they need for printing......so all should be well as long as your saving in file form that the printers want,,,,,,,tif or jpeg at 10 or 12 and srgb.

hope this helps
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 11, 2006
    If 72dpi is fine for large prints (which is what I am concerned about) then that is great. However, when I am not shooting in RAW, my JPEG files from the camera are 300dpi, which I thought was the necessary resolution for large prints....
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    Turnip, I think it was Shay Stephens who's made informative posts about this in the past.

Here, read this thread, and this thread.

Bottom line, DPI doesn't matter until you send your image to a printer. When you sent your image to a printer, that's when you pick what DPI you want to use. Until then, it's just an arbitrary number. What's important is the number of pixels in your image.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2006
    thanks a lot for your replies.