Options

Tripods - All the parts?

Tom VervaekeTom Vervaeke Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited November 26, 2006 in Accessories
After reading a bunch of tripod threads via the search function, I'm still a bit in the dark.

It appears that a tripod consists of 3 parts. Two of them I understand:

1. The legs
2. The head

But I see a bunch of folks mentioning a plate that must sit on top of the legs and under the head?

My current tripod is a Bogen 3021 with a Manfrotto 3030 head. The head has that little quick disconnect arm and I have one of the base plates screwed to the base of my DSLR.

For my trip to Alaska, where a LOT of hiking, or travelling by float plane, or bus.. etc.. is going to happen, I'd really like to get a lighter CF tripod.

After reading a bunch of the CF tripod threads, the two that come to mind are the 3-section Gitzo G1325V (I think the V signifies it has the pointy feet?) or the 4-section G1348. Either of these weighs about 4.5 - 4.7 pounts.

I've read a lot of stuff here about the RRS ball heads but just not sure if they're big enough to hold a D2X with a 3+ pound 70-200 VR lense on it. Or, do I need something bigger and beefier?

There's an outside chance that a friend is going to loan me his 300mm F4 Nikkor and a very outside chance I can get my hands on a 200-400 VR lens as well. These things are heavy. Again, what head?

And, if there IS a third component to the whole tripod thing, what is it and what do I need?

And, can I get a strap for a CF tripod so I can carry it on my shoulder if it's not in my pack?

Thanks,

Tom

Comments

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    The BH-40 is more than strong enough for your equipment. Just because it is smaller doesn't mean it isn't a great ballhead and less$ than the BH-55. For tripod straps and grips for the legs you should check out OptechUSA. Ian checked their stuff out at PMA, you can see what he said here. Hope this helps.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 7, 2006
    Tom, the 1325 legs are great, but may be overkill if you are not going to be using larger cameras or lenses. I use a 500mmf4 and a 1DMkll on my 1325 legs.

For hiking I strongly prefer the Gitzo 2227 legs with the BH-55 head. The BH-40 will probably be strong enough also. You might look at RRS's pano clamp sets also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,210 moderator
    edited April 7, 2006
    I'll let you know in a week or two
    My Really Right Stuff BH-40 and other bits are currently between there and here.

A BH-40 head can easily handle a 15-18lb. load, so the heavier and more expensive BH-55 could be overkill. And every gram saved helps when hiking.

Instead of the QR or regular screw clamps, I opted for the larger PCL-1 clamp (a few grams more), which allows for a pano rail to be swapped in or out. The PCL clamp swivels 360º (I like to do panoramas). Together with the L-bracket for the body. The modular system is quite versatile.

Tripod-wise, I am trying to make up my mind whether a 4 section or a 3 section leg system is for me. For a mobile/hiking setup, I like weight savings, but in doing pano's I also favor stability. I need to make a trip into Chicago and play with some Gitzo's. And that's going to be an expensive play-date for me. So far, the target is centered on the Gitzo G1258, and if that's the one - it had better perform well for the next 40 years (@$13/yr.)
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    I have a gitzo 1348 that comes with a plate. The reason for plates is that center columns are the devil :) They just aren't any good. Never listen to anyone with a center column, they are no good (both the column and the person) :)

The 1325 is probably the best legset gitzo makes. I am just a tad under 6'6" so I needed the extra leg that the 1348 has when I need to shoot over bushes are shoot up into the air like panning for birds or whatnot. I also seem to use the height a lot on ad shoots when the client wants an image looking slightly down. The 1548 is a very stout legset. I see someone with a Nikon 600+D2x using one every other week or so. They don't have VR so the thicker tubes are probably more stable for him.

The BH-40 will hold a 18 pound telephoto load but it will creep on you. The most I would push it is a 1DmkII + 300/2.8 IS and it will very slowly creep but its very manageable. Try to stay at 1/3 of the rated weight for heads.

I have no doubts that the BH-40 is perfect for your setup.

V after a tripod name from Gitzo usually indicates that it has a Video Bowl and not a plate or center column.

I have an aluminum tripod from Bogen that I use in studio a lot. Its 9 pounds. I have taken it to shoot birds in the past. The 4.4 pound 1348 is a god send.

David, if you don't need the 4th leg, get the 1325, they are a bit more stable not having the super thin 4th leg. I get messed up with the numbers but I have seen a few people with 12xx series hiking with bigger lenses (not the 500's or 600's) and they do well, but if you can carry a 1325 I could recommend it.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    The plate they're talking about is the one you have on the bottom of your camera, the thing that connects your camera body/lens to the ballhead.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    The plate they're talking about is the one you have on the bottom of your camera, the thing that connects your camera body/lens to the ballhead.

The flat disk on top of tripods without center columns are called plates as well. Sometimes referred to flat plates.

This plate is what is between the legs and the head.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    center columns are the devil :)
    David, if you don't need the 4th leg, get the 1325, they are a bit more stable not having the super thin 4th leg. I get messed up with the numbers but I have seen a few people with 12xx series hiking with bigger lenses (not the 500's or 600's) and they do well, but if you can carry a 1325 I could recommend it.

Bob, thanks for warning me about those evil columns :lol4

I am 5'6" and 135lbs. So a lightweight system is a must. Even then, I hope someone has the good sense to find my right arm and bring it back to the hotel next month when it falls off carrying my shiny new 4½ pound tripod. The current 30+ yr. old Bogen weighs 9 pounds. Eeek!

The center column on any tripod I'll own will never be raised unless I place the thing in a stream and I'm standing safely upon rocks. With a BH-40, PCL clamp, L bracket, then the camera body, any tripod will probably be too tall. Bottom leg to platform all I need is 47-48 inches. So tripod leg extension alone will probably dictate the 3 or 4 section spec. (maybe). ... oh, and the 20D and 400/5.6 is probably all the mass I'll ever place on the thing. I'm not about to begin shooting with those howitzer size 2.8's like Harry does lol3.gif
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    Tom VervaekeTom Vervaeke Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    The flat disk on top of tripods without center columns are called plates as well. Sometimes referred to flat plates.

Bob:

That's the plate I was talking about.

So, if a tripod doesn't have a center column (which you said to stay away from), the it WILL have a flat plate on the top? Then the Head just fastens to this by the screw that comes up through the plate?

Are there different kinds of baseplates that you fasten to your camera? Mine is a Manfrotto to match my current head. Are there > 1 style?

Tom
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:

thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2006
    Bob:

That's the plate I was talking about.

So, if a tripod doesn't have a center column (which you said to stay away from), the it WILL have a flat plate on the top? Then the Head just fastens to this by the screw that comes up through the plate?

Are there different kinds of baseplates that you fasten to your camera? Mine is a Manfrotto to match my current head. Are there > 1 style?

Tom
    There are a couple different styles but the do the same thing. They should be made out of metal and have a 3/8 screw. I guess there might be legsets with 1/4 bolts but I would be leary of them.

Most tripods come with a column or a flat plate. Either way you just screw the head onto the plate or the coumn. I have seen some with 2-3" platforms that sit above where the plate would be.

If you buy a gitzo, Kirk has replacement/upgrade plates: http://www.kirkphoto.com/tripodaccess.html#FP100200

I also have a manfrotto legset as well. I just screw the head on and im set.

The reason columns are bad is they can add vibration to your setup making it harder to get clean sharp images.

A lot of columns are removeable. Sometimes you can only get the legset you want with a column. Often times you can remove the column and put on a flat plate.

Before you buy a legset verify what it has. There are so many options at the same price points now its not even funny :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Bob, thanks for warning me about those evil columns :lol4

I am 5'6" and 135lbs. So a lightweight system is a must. Even then, I hope someone has the good sense to find my right arm and bring it back to the hotel next month when it falls off carrying my shiny new 4½ pound tripod. The current 30+ yr. old Bogen weighs 9 pounds. Eeek!

The center column on any tripod I'll own will never be raised unless I place the thing in a stream and I'm standing safely upon rocks. With a BH-40, PCL clamp, L bracket, then the camera body, any tripod will probably be too tall. Bottom leg to platform all I need is 47-48 inches. So tripod leg extension alone will probably dictate the 3 or 4 section spec. (maybe). ... oh, and the 20D and 400/5.6 is probably all the mass I'll ever place on the thing. I'm not about to begin shooting with those howitzer size 2.8's like Harry does lol3.gif

Again this is my opinion but a 400mm is long enough to give you problems with a center column. Having the luxury of not needing an extra foot x4 of carbon fibre, you could save some cash and go with a gitzo basalt 1297/1298 since a 400/5.6 + 1dmkII or 20D+grip is 6 pounds or half of the rated support rate and get a B-40 for a total of 4.5 or 4.6 pounds carry weight :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2006
    I feel this thread is in risk of being hijacked by me - sorry

All good info, Bob. And you have been very helpful. More than likely, If I'm shooting with the 400, I'll have a monopod and a plate on the foot of the lens.

95% of the time, I will be using something less than 200mm, and with panos, 50-70 might be the limit.

I like the idea of the weight hook on the bottom of the center column, so I can hang the photo bag/backpack from it. The column would be all the way down and locked firm about 100% of the time, so there would be nothing to extend. If there is a way to remove the column entirely, I might just do that, but I think I like the option of extra height if needed. I'll look into an option for the evil column replacement.
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Again this is my opinion but a 400mm is long enough to give you problems with a center column. Having the luxury of not needing an extra foot x4 of carbon fibre, you could save some cash and go with a gitzo basalt 1297/1298 since a 400/5.6 + 1dmkII or 20D+grip is 6 pounds or half of the rated support rate and get a B-40 for a total of 4.5 or 4.6 pounds carry weight :)
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited April 8, 2006
    Hi Tom,

You've got some good advice going. One thing I would consider is a four
    section tripod. It's just a tad more compact than the three section. At least
    the Gitz is. I have the 1257 4 section CF and am very happy with it.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    chuckhchuckh Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Hi Tom,

You've got some good advice going. One thing I would consider is a four
    section tripod. It's just a tad more compact than the three section. At least
    the Gitz is. I have the 1257 4 section CF and am very happy with it.

I believe the Gitzo 1257 is a 3 section, anti-rotating leg tripod:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=RootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&shs=1257&image.x=0&image.y=0

and, the Gitzo 1258 is a 4 section, anti-rotating leg tripod:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=productlist.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&shs=1258&image.x=0&image.y=0
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2006
    My new tripod update
    Took the Metra train into the Windy City today. My new sneakers have 6 more test miles on them from all the walking. First stop Calumet. Big store - strange neighborhood. They don't yet stock the 6x series carbon Gitzo's. Not a huge surprise. They did have the Lowepro backpack I wanted (and in green!), but the price wasn't happening for me. I bought a 67-77 step up ring for the salesman's time and trouble. Great store though. Worth the trip.

However, 2 more miles and some unexpected raindrops later, I had my very first visit at Helix's large downtown store. No backpack in stock (but great price). They had the 4-section 6X G1258 in stock. clap.gif Same price as B&H. Minimum suggested retail price is sometimes a good thing.

They also had the 3-section 6X version; G1257. This was critical, since a stability test means pounding on both types, and determining the flex from one to the other. The 4-section seemed just as stable as the 3-section, with legs fully extended. The 4-section was about 2 inches lower. For most people that would be a disadvantage, however I'm 5'6", so with BH-40, clamp and L-bracket, the eyepiece will be at my eyeball without extending the center column. That means lower center of gravity and less flex.

The G1258 went home with me and I didn't get mugged.

Some initial feedback. The G1258 is extremely light at 3.1 pounds (same weight as the G1257). Unlike other models, there isn't a rubberized grip on one of the legs. That makes it difficult to carry without grabbing two legs; that's going to be fatiguing on a long walk. And I don't like carrying tripods over my shoulder.

With the carbon legs fully closed and folded, the little metal hook on the bottom of the center column can scratch the legs. This concerns me since the legs aren't coated and scratching into CF is a serious no-no. The little hook also rattles like a SOB when jiggled.

So I spent a couple hours pimping my new tripod. I made a handle from a foam bicycle grip with a cut-up bicycle inner tube running through it, and then around one of the legs. The other modification is also an inner tube cut to 1½ long onto the bottom of the center column that extends ½ inch around and below the hook eliminating the rattle, and covering the end of the hook so it can't touch the leg.

Now I just have to wait until that RRS order gets here to use the thing (been two weeks already :cry).

64350325-O.jpg
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    The other modification is also an inner tube cut to 1½ long onto the bottom of the center column that extends ½ inch around and below the hook eliminating the rattle, and covering the end of the hook so it can't touch the leg.
    David, would you mind making a photo of that? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2006
    The photo above does show that modification but its a bit difficult to see.

edit: I can't believe how clean my desk was in that shot!
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    The photo above does show that modification but its a bit difficult to see.
    Sorta looks like half a prophylactic, eh? OK check.
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    I have a Gitzo 2257 and they have taken care of that problem in their more recent models. The hook is now on a spring that retracts it flush with the post. My setup is the 2257 with a Markins Q10 and I love it. Not as compact as some, but lightweight, quick to set up, versatile and solid.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2006
    The 1257 and 1258 are part of the newest Gitzo Carbon 6X series and include that hook complete with the spring, though mine still shakes a bit. I covered the side of the hook with the tube primarily to keep from folding the carbon leg directly into the steel hook and damaging the leg. It also keeps it from shaking around.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    They had the 4-section 6X G1258
    So, I first bought the 1257, but even closed and with the column out (despite what IAN said :pissed ) it won't fit in a Hartmann roll-on bag. So, I RMA'd that to B&H (one of the big Pluses of dealing with them, among many, is that they have a no-questions asked no hassle return policy)...and just ordered the 1258. I'll now give this a twirl.

'Course, Gitz is coming out with even newer mods in February-ish, so if I keep it, it'll probably end up as a deal in the Flea Market.
  • Options
    Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    So, I first bought the 1257, but even closed and with the column out (despite what IAN said :pissed ) it won't fit in a Hartmann roll-on bag. So, I RMA'd that to B&H (one of the big Pluses of dealing with them, among many, is that they have a no-questions asked no hassle return policy)...and just ordered the 1258. I'll now give this a twirl.

'Course, Gitz is coming out with even newer mods in February-ish, so if I keep it, it'll probably end up as a deal in the Flea Market.

I recently upgraded my Bogens 3001 BPRO tripod with a Gitzo 1258. It is only a fraction of a pound lighter but more importantly it extends 2 inches taller with the center column retracted . When fully retracted it's one inch shorter than my Bogens which is critical for air travel and backpacking. The twist style leg locks are quick and easy, just make sure you twist them snug. thumb.gif