Options

Doors and Windows

124»

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited September 17, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I finally was out for a little shooting today - overcast and grey - a good day to capture doors and windows again1drink.gif Several people liked red doorways - here is another one - this time to a church.

10D f8 1/30
    8622115-S.jpg

And you canot have a red door without a green door also....

10D f5.6 1/500

8622113-S.jpg
    I can't quit without including the west facing window of the church also - it looks like the building had some repairs at some previous time...

8622118-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2004
    Arki wrote:
    Arki - Welcome aboard. The command to display the image is
    "URL of image no spaces"

or
    8622688-M-1.jpg]

Can you display the images without the PROOF written all over them?

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2004
    Ah, I see you found the thread, arki. I can't see yer pic, for some reason. headscratch.gif.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ArkiArki Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited September 20, 2004
    Learning the ins and outs of smugmug
    wxwax wrote:
    Ah, I see you found the thread, arki. I can't see yer pic, for some reason. headscratch.gif.

I just deleted my threads as I "un-watermarked" my images but then they didn't show up. I realized that the URL changes...not just image. Anyway, I'll start from scratch...Ugh.
  • Options
    ArkiArki Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited September 22, 2004
    Decided to work on a few more pictures from my recent Italy trip. Here is another window image. This, I believe was taken in Vernazza.

8894694-S.jpg
  • Options
    While I was in Vincennes waiting for the sun to go down to shoot the George Rogers Clark Memorial, I wandered around looking for doors and windows in the waning evening light, and found these two images....

Harley-Davidson Motorcycle cafe....
    8899509-L.jpg

And this Colonial Framer's Shop...
    8899511-L.jpg

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    My, I have never seen those places, I imagine many things are changed. It was a real small town, I mean a normal small town, when I lived there in the seventies. Not small town pretty, kind of small town dreary. But real working stores. The high school was still in town, so was the library, small and old.

Parades were real parades............etc, etc........ thanks for the memories, but that is a new town there. I really like the first photo.

I told my daughter, a member of dgrin, about your shot in Vincennes. She was excited, but I don't know if she will remember as she worked nights the last two nights, with day today. She is a micro lab supervisor, and she has to train people as they are putting a new lab in. She is stressed.

But she spent her teenage years in Vincennes, graduated high school there, so she was very excited. I was hoping she would get online.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    LBGLBG Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited September 23, 2004
    US Department of Edcuation in DC. Sun was setting and the contrast between the windows and the stone building struck me.
    8916193-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2004
    LBG wrote:
    US Department of Edcuation in DC. Sun was setting and the contrast between the windows and the stone building struck me.
    8916193-L.jpg

Nice graphical repetitive image - displays falling back perspective. Is correcting the perspective better or worse for this image? Not sure I know the answer myself.

Interesting - I did nothing but open the file in PS as an sRGB image and crop and then save as a jpg. I expected no change but the cropping, but check the change in the tonality and brightness! - Is this from assigning the sRGB colorspace to the image when I opened the file in PS?

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2004
    headscratch.gif Very interesting. And not a good thing.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    wxwax wrote:
    headscratch.gif Very interesting. And not a good thing.
    This was a totally unexpected finding, Sid.
    8916193-S.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=2252&stc=1

I right-clicked the image of the Federal windows to save as a jpg to my hard drive. I then opened the image in PS CS and it said there was no assigned color space and asked if it should be left alone or assigned to sRGB. I have been assigning all images destined for dgrin to the sRGB color space. I then used the crop tool to correct the falling away perspective and saved the image as a jpg at level 4 or 5 for about an 85Kb file and uploaded it to dgrin as an attachment.

The perspective was corrected -(better or not I still have not decided, but I tend to correct perspective in my own images as they usually look better)- but then I noticed that the color of the building is not EXACTLY the same as the picture I uploaded and both images are being viewed on the same monitor so any differences must be in the image file - Is this due to jpg compression and losses during saving or what?

The original image is listed as 80Kb and mine after uploading is about 90Kb so I would not think there should be serious compression losses, but ne_nau.gif

• Options
    LBGLBG Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    The issue....
    The reason no color space was assigned is because the original image was saved for the web. Saving for the web eliminates all exif information to make the file lighter. File originally shot sRGB II.
    The reason your color and contrast are different is because your image is magnified compared to the orginal. It is atleast 20% larger. The second file is almost an inch lareger in both H&W with less DPI than the original. I think the differnce in color is attributed to the larger image and image degredation. See attachement: Original on right.
  • Options
    LBG wrote:
    The reason no color space was assigned is because the original image was saved for the web. Saving for the web eliminates all exif information to make the file lighter. File originally shot sRGB II.
    The reason your color and contrast are different is because your image is magnified compared to the orginal. It is atleast 20% larger.
    Not when scaled in PS CS .
    The second file is almost an inch lareger in both H&W with less DPI than the original.
    Not true! Check my numbers taken from Image size in PS CS directly below.
    I think the differnce in color is attributed to the larger image and image degredation. See attachement: Original on right.

Actually, LBG, when I open the original jpg that I right clicked to down load and the perspective cropped file that I saved to upload and look at the image sizes in pixels, inches and Mb the original image ( your image) is smaller in Mb and in size then mine. To wit:

Your original image is read by PS CS as 800x600 pixels 1.48 Mb
    11.11 inches x 8.972 inches at 72 ppi
    800*600= 480,000 pixels

My cropped image is read by PS CS Image size cmnd as
    776 x705 pixels 1.57 Mb
    10.778 inches x 9.792 at 72 ppi

776*705=547080 pixels 547080-480000=67000 67000/480000= 13.95 % larger number of pixels in 2nd image

Do you think the size difference in the files is responsible for the differences in hue and saturation in the images? I really wonder if that is the true reason here headscratch.gif

It is true that the additional pixels in my image were interpolated by PS CS in scaling up, but I have seen images enlarged 10x or more and you could not see any color differences at all in the prints.

I still remain unconvinced that the answer is as simple as you suggest. No disrepect is intended here - Like Sid I just find this a very unusual finding and desire to understand it if I can.
    I would be interested in other opininions by viewers also. 1drink.gif

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2004
    Here is one I shot almost a month ago on my second to last day in Nantucket. I'm just getting around to sorting these out now.

9256638-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Here is one I shot almost a month ago on my second to last day in Nantucket. I'm just getting around to sorting these out now.

9256638-S.jpg

SO nice to see you back again, John.
    1drink.gif