64027197-M-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    See my SmugBlog

Thanks!

crazy, I was just looking for this info the other day.......

so, being a moderator, does that mean you guys have special psychic abilities? :uhoh
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    crazy, I was just looking for this info the other day.......

so, being a moderator, does that mean you guys have special psychic abilities? :uhoh

naughty.gifnaughty.gif
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Keep in mind that these are minimums and that we recommend you load up your full size files for best prints.
    Thanks!

Wording may lead some to think they need to upload "full size" (photoshop 12 jpeg setting) instead of recommended 10 setting thus unnecessarily eating up valuable Smugmug resources.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Wording may lead some to think they need to upload "full size" (photoshop 12 jpeg setting) instead of recommended 10 setting thus unnecessarily eating up valuable Smugmug resources.

Thanks Bod -we're actually working on some mods to our Help pages that will be more specific on that.

But the short answer: Photoshop 10 = Lab Quality -- very standard in the industry.
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks Bod -we're actually working on some mods to our Help pages that will be more specific on that.

But the short answer: Photoshop 10 = Lab Quality -- very standard in the industry.

May want to add that note on your Resolution Blog thumb.gif
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2006
    bump, updated.
  • Options
    KeithHKeithH Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    See my SmugBlog

64027197-M-1.jpg
    Handy information, but I'm a little confused. In your blog you wrote...
    We had our minimum resolution very low for some of our print sizes. We’ve recently raised the minimum resolution on 4×6s, 4xD, 5×7, 8×10, 8xD, 8×12 sizes.
    It looks to me like the minimum for the 4x6 and the 5x7 print sizes were lowered rather than raised, and that the 8x10 and 8x12 are unchanged.

THe 4xD minimum resolution was raised, according to the chart, but the 8xD is also unchanged.

Am I confused?
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2006
    KeithH wrote:

Am I confused?

lol3.gif no, I am. I updated the blog with the graphic but not the text.

Sorry, will take care of that thumb.gif
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    wait... why don't you wanna save at Jpeg 12ne_nau.gif isn't that the best in the biz?
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited April 12, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    wait... why don't you wanna save at Jpeg 12ne_nau.gif isn't that the best in the biz?

Daniel - jpg 10 is Lab Quality. It's a rare bird that can tell the difference between a jpg 10 and 12. Trust me on this.
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2006
    I use Paint Shop Pro. Would "10" in Photoshop be roughly the equivelent of "90" in PSP?
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 14, 2006
    KeithH wrote:
    I use Paint Shop Pro. Would "10" in Photoshop be roughly the equivelent of "90" in PSP?
    It's difficult to say. We've done a ton of analysis in the past few months on compression levels, but we haven't done it with Paint Shop Pro. We think, and mind you this is just a theory, that Photoshop uses a scale to 12 instead of 100 because it does some additional qualitative measures.

If, and this is a big if, Paint Shop Pro compresses the same as ImageMagick (they do use the same scale after all), 10 in PS would be generally be equivalent to 94 in Paint Shop Pro.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2006
    I don't have Paint Shop or Photoshop on this particular computer, but I do have Irfanview, which has a JPEG compression scale like Paint Shop Pro, I think, in which "1" is the lowest quality/highest compression and "100" is the highest quality/lowest compression.

If Paint Shop Pro is like this, sounds like I should use a compression rate of 94 or 95. I hope this is true, because this is what I usually use.

I think that PSP also allows you to set the type of compression algorithm, but I just leave it at the default.