Options

New lens.

Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
edited April 15, 2006 in Cameras
I went to and just got back from http://superiorcamera.com. I've been wanting a Sigma lens for quite some time now, and they are the only ones that sell Sigma. Those at http://wolfcamera.com don't sell Sigma, even though they advertise that they do.:rolleyes

So I was wondering if you all could tell me how good this lens is and good of a deal I got. It's a Sigma DC 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 with a filter size of 58mm. I got it for $139.95.

Wolf had the supposedly Sigma made Quantarays 18-50mm for $10 more, but I hear much better reviews for Sigmas than I do for Quantarays. This Sigma even came with a decent sized plastic hood instead of a goofy small rubber one which are sold seperately.

The Quantaray doesn't come with one, unless you buy their bigger lenses, like a 70-300mm. I haven't yet taken any pictures with this new lens. I might hit the parks and lakes later, or tomorrow.

Thanks!
http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
Camera: Nikon D50
Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
Bag: Canon 200DG

Printer: Canon PIXMA iP6700D

Fisher-Advent Audio

Comments

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    The best way to find out if you got a good deal on a lens, I imagine, is to get out and test it immediately. More important than price, is the quality. $139 seems reasonable to me. If it doesn't meet your standards, you may want to exchange it. When I asked my local camera store (Calumet) about Sigma lenses, they said that Sigma had a problem with quality control. He claimed 1 out of 5 was really good. I don't know if this was his sales pitch to get me to buy Canon lenses, or not. Anyway, I would test it and exchange if necessary.
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    The best way to find out if you got a good deal on a lens, I imagine, is to get out and test it immediately. More important than price, is the quality. $139 seems reasonable to me. If it doesn't meet your standards, you may want to exchange it. When I asked my local camera store (Calumet) about Sigma lenses, they said that Sigma had a problem with quality control. He claimed 1 out of 5 was really good. I don't know if this was his sales pitch to get me to buy Canon lenses, or not. Anyway, I would test it and exchange if necessary.

True. I've already tested it. To me, the shots look great, but since I dunno how to set all the settings on this D50.ne_nau.gif Most of my pics are to sad to be in here.rolleyes1.gif

I know I need to also use an editor like PS-CS2, but to always have it, I'd have to pay $649.umph.gif So I have the Nikon PictureProject 1.5 that I'll d/l soon. I gave up on the trial version of PS-CS2. I could never find the contrastor and some other funtion, and I forget what they call it.

Anyway, the Sigma DC seems to be working fine. Seems to be quicker focusing than the Quantaray 28-90mm aspherical lens that I use to have. I took some more pics, but nothing to write home about.rolleyes1.gif

And yeah, becareful with those sales-people with their sales-pitches. Some care about your purchases, and some just care about their promotions, raises and benefits.:bluduh

-ZR-

My Gear

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Sigma is probably the most respected 3rd party maker.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Sigma is probably the most respected 3rd party maker.

Deal sounds ok. This one is $109 at B&H Photo. But, you still need shipping, and you would not have gotten it today mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2006
    Only thing I was hoping for that it would be actually 18-50mm, but I'm now finding out it may be 28-80mm. Well, I must have misunderstood,`cos I thought if a digital lens is attached to a D/SLR, then whatever the lens says, then that's what it'll be.

And if an F/SLR lens is attached to a D/SLR, then there will be a 1.5% crop-factor (50%). So according to B&H, my new lens is not acting like an 18-50mm, but a 28-80mm. Which is okay, I was just really trying to get much more of a wide-angle than 28-50mm. Actually, 50% more is 27-75mm.:D

My Gear

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Only thing I was hoping for that it would be actually 18-50mm, but I'm now finding out it may be 28-80mm. Well, I must have misunderstood,`cos I thought if a digital lens is attached to a D/SLR, then whatever the lens says, then that's what it'll be.

And if an F/SLR lens is attached to a D/SLR, then there will be a 1.5% crop-factor (50%). So according to B&H, my new lens is not acting like an 18-50mm, but a 28-80mm. Which is okay, I was just really trying to get much more of a wide-angle than 28-50mm. Actually, 50% more is 27-75mm.:D
    The lens is a 18-50mm. Because of the crop factor due to sensor size, your 18-50 depth of field on your dSLR is equivalent to 27-75mm depth of field, on a film camera. So, if you are doing comparisons, and trying to match what your film camera does, indeed 18 on your dSLR is the same as 27mm on your film camera. But if you are comparing 18mm on your dSLR to 27mm on your dSLR, of course you will notice a difference, and 18 will be much wider than 27.
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Any lens mounted on a crop factor camera will have an effective focal length of (crop factor * the listed focal length). It doesn't have to be a "designed for digital sensors only" type of lens.

For example:

Canon's 50/1.4 lens (works on both film and digital cameras) on the full frame Canon 5D will have an effective focal length of 50mm. The same lens on a Canon 20D will have an effective focal length of 80mm (50mm * 20D's crop factor of 1.6x).

What may be confusing is some lenses (Canon EF-S, Sigma DC, etc) are designed to only work on crop factor sensor bodies. They will vignette severely (assuming they'll mount at all) when used on full frame bodies - digital or film.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    LizaLiza Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Another place to buy Sigma lenses is www.sigma4less.com. The drawback is that their lenses carry only a 1 year warranty instead of the usual 6 year warranty from Sigma. I've heard, however, if one complains loudly, the warranty is extended. And don't buy Quantaray. They're awful.
    Canon 20D | Canon 10D | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 100mm f/2 | 100mm f/2.8 macro| 200 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/4L | 75-300 USM II | Tamron 28-75 | Sigma 100-300 | 580EX | Tamron 1.4x T-con | Various and sundry p&s and film cameras
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2006
    Liza wrote:
    Another place to buy Sigma lenses is www.sigma4less.com. The drawback is that their lenses carry only a 1 year warranty instead of the usual 6 year warranty from Sigma. I've heard, however, if one complains loudly, the warranty is extended. And don't buy Quantaray. They're awful.

Yeah, Quantaray isn't what I really wanted when I bought my first-ever SLR a year ago. But that's what came with the N75... a Quantaray 28-90mm. They seemed to be good, but I tried to get a Sigma at Wolf Camera instead of the Quantaray, but they kept on saying that Quantaray is made by Sigma with the same quality, just half the price.

So being that I was new to the camera world, especially with SLRs, (F/SLR or D/SLR) I believed it. I think Sigma and Nikkor make some of the best, unless Schneider-Kreuznach and Carl Zeiss make lenses for SLRs, too. But, I now have a Sigma.:D

My Gear

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • Options
    LizaLiza Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Wolf Camera employees always push Quantaray stuff because they make a killing off of it. They aren't the same quality. A good Sigma lens for a walkaround is the 24-70. I opted to purchase the Tamron 28-75, and am glad I did. The image quality is marvelous.
    Canon 20D | Canon 10D | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 100mm f/2 | 100mm f/2.8 macro| 200 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/4L | 75-300 USM II | Tamron 28-75 | Sigma 100-300 | 580EX | Tamron 1.4x T-con | Various and sundry p&s and film cameras
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2006
    Yeah, never trust those employees. I had one try to convince me that Quantaray was actually Sigma with their house name on it.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.