Options

Canon 2x teleconverter

TmosleyTmosley Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
edited April 15, 2006 in Technique
I am shooting a yatch race later this month, and its recomended to have no less then 400mm,
my question is , is the quality of a 2x teleconverter attaced to my canon 70-200 2.8 is lens going to be really not that good,

or should i just rent a 400 or 500mm lens for the day,
i have a canon 5D
and a 20D back up

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Me, I'd rent the big glass. I have not been pleased with the x2 on either the 70-200 2.8 or the 300 2.8.

I know others disagree.

If this is a special occasion, one not likely come up again anytime soon, I'd recommend you take the sure thing and rent a quality lens.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    If a good rental lens can be had for not an arm and a leg..might go that route. If you get the shots..YOU HAVE THEM FOR LIFE (or we hope..anyway). To "miss" "the shot" is not a fun thing. Knowing that you "could" have nailed it with the "right" lens..will just make it that much worse. The 2x converter does effect image quality. If you think you'll have enough light to be able to stop down to f/8..well...maybe..but with a zoom you are probably barking up the wrong tree. I'd rent. Too bad there are no rental photo shops in this area. I use to rent lenses all the time back in Illiniois. WEll worth the usual inexpensive cost...to get "the shot".

It's a write off ..also..if you sell the pics (are in business). :D
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    TmosleyTmosley Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    If a good rental lens can be had for not an arm and a leg..might go that route. If you get the shots..YOU HAVE THEM FOR LIFE (or we hope..anyway). To "miss" "the shot" is not a fun thing. Knowing that you "could" have nailed it with the "right" lens..will just make it that much worse. The 2x converter does effect image quality. If you think you'll have enough light to be able to stop down to f/8..well...maybe..but with a zoom you are probably barking up the wrong tree. I'd rent. Too bad there are no rental photo shops in this area. I use to rent lenses all the time back in Illiniois. WEll worth the usual inexpensive cost...to get "the shot".

It's a write off ..also..if you sell the pics (are in business). :D

yeah, i have been reading on this all day, im just going to cough up the 75 bucks and rent the 400mm, and if i need more range ill put it onthe 20D,
    thanks for your help,

do you guys have any tips on shooting from a moving boat in the ocean,
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 14, 2006
    I cannot recommend the 2X and the 70-200f2.8 IS L. Too much flare and loss of contrast.

I use the Canon 2x TC with a Canon 300f2.8 IS L frequently and find it very useful. So does Art Mrris of www.birdsasart.com

If there is adequate light, ( shooting on the open ocean should have adequate light during the daylight hours) you should be ok.

I think shooting a 2x+300 will be easier to manage on a pitching boat, than a 500 f4. The 500f4 is a lot to handle without a tripod and a stable platform.

My preference might be a 400f4 DO + a 1.4 TC as it is lighter and even easier to handle.

Shooting long glass from a pitching, moving boat may be kind of challenging, especially with the longer glass. Do you get seasick easy??

Here are two frames from a 300f2.8 IS L and a 2X TC handheld. Is the sharpness acceptable in these images??

21877231-L.jpg

49170785-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2006
    tips
    my only tip is for you to get the highest shutter speed you can,even if it means going up to iso 400 or 800.

400mmX1.6 crop=640mm- so 1/640 should be your minimum shutter speed for the 20d

also make sure your strap is around your neck at all times.

also don't forget a wide and some shorter teles or your zoom as sometimes one yacht can get quite close to another.

also get a plastic ziplock bag for protecting your camera while shooting,silica gel for your lens cases etc

changing lenses will be the most nerve wracking part of your shoot

sounds like a lot of fun
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.