Options

Photoshop Upgrade??

miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
edited October 4, 2004 in Finishing School
This may be a stupid question, but I am asking it anyways because I cannot find an answer anywhere else. Can I upgrade from Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 to Photoshop CS? Or do I need to buy the full blown version of CS? I am definitely going to upgrade to CS since I am finally upgrading to a DSLR from 35mm and will need the power of CS to work through all the RAW images I will be getting with my Sigma SD9. Hope someone can help me here.

Mike
Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
http://miketaylor.giph.com

Comments

• Options
    GuzzlerGuzzler Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2004
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2004
    yeah throwing in some numbers didnt work ne_nau.gif dont have the cd case with me from elements right now.. will have to try with the real number.. thanks though
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
  • Options
    GuzzlerGuzzler Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2004
    yeah throwing in some numbers didnt work ne_nau.gif dont have the cd case with me from elements right now.. will have to try with the real number.. thanks though
    Thought they would fix that part sooner or later. Let us know of your elements number works later.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2004
    This may be a stupid question, but I am asking it anyways because I cannot find an answer anywhere else. Can I upgrade from Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 to Photoshop CS? Or do I need to buy the full blown version of CS? I am definitely going to upgrade to CS since I am finally upgrading to a DSLR from 35mm and will need the power of CS to work through all the RAW images I will be getting with my Sigma SD9. Hope someone can help me here.

Mike
    Laughing hard here! CS is great with RAW and all that good stuff. I, right now, have Elements, PS7 and PS CS on my computer. Each has something, but I use CS almost all the time now.

The reason I am laughing, is that while you are shopping for software, you might want to think about an extra hard drive. I have been shooting in RAW consistently for about one weekend. Maybe a whole week, but not much of it. I had to take off of my computer today every photograph that I have already backed up. 17 folders to be exact. Them are big files.

Andy, you be sellin' any hard drives one day soon?

Yes, if you can get your Photoshop CS with the serial number and all, considering where you are, I would do that. I did go a cheaper route, which is why I am afraid to take any of the other programs off my computer. But if I were in your position, I would want as much support, straight up, with my photoshop program as possible.

Good luck! Surprisingly, I find that CS is a big improvement over PS 7. It is just the retail prices for these things, my gosh and good lord and all the other gods of greece, they charge big money for this stuff. Then if you want to buy the books, well, ...........

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2004
    Interesting approach to file storage
    I was thinking the other day about how I am going to solve the storage problem when I finally get my camera. Here is the route I am definately going to start with until I can get a large external hard drive for my laptop. Probably a 160 maybe up to a 250 gig external. Anyways I decided to ask someone I know who shoots with the SD10 what his approach is and this is what I am going to do. Already bought a couple 512's to be set up for shooting in this way. Here is what he replied to me

I use the 512s as I mentioned as they will fit on a CD
    which holds 705 megs. I will run a batch process in SPP to export images to
    medium sized JPEGS and that works as my reference slide show so you can view
    them in Windows Explorer and see what's what on the CD. 512 CF card +
    batch/exported JPEGS + CD = inexpensive backups and fast reference media.

SPP is the program that comes with both the SD9 and SD10. Its an awesome program and I am pretty sure you can process any RAW image with the software. If you are interested the latest version of SPP can be downloaded off www.sigmaphoto.com

This seems like a very inexpensive and easy way to create a permanent backup and storage solution for large quantities of photographs.

Mike
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1