gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited April 20, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business

Comments

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 17, 2006
    Hey Gus,

This is something the DW has been on my back about for sometime :D

Not that I have into it that much, I was going to try to add my gear as specified items on our house and contents insurance. But I may be wrong about this.

Depending on how things pan out in the next week or so, if we end up staying in Oz....i will be seriously looking into it.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2006
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Staying in oz ? Your not a ..a ...a ...a so your not a local ?

lol3.giflol3lol3.gif yeah i'm an aussie through and through.

But there is a 50% chance I might get a 2-year contract in the US.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2006
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Cool...btw ..have you seen what they eat ? eek7.gif

hehe yeah...but you don't have to eat like that :D
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2006
    Humungus wrote:

Beats the hell outta your vegemite crap.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2006
    Humungus wrote:

Gus, just because you were hanging out with Andy doesn't mean that you have the right to judge all americans. umph.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2006
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2006
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited April 17, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Gee, Gus, I dunno...I lived in San Francisco for many years. One of the nicest things about it was that (besides all the crap) there were restaurants from all over the world. Except Australia, as I recall. Is there a lesson there? lol3.giflol3

On the other hand, they did sell a lot of inexpensive Australian wine that wasn't bad at all.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2006
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited April 17, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    It was a joke mate umph.gif oi vey
    As was mine. 11doh.gif
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2006
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2006
    Hey we have Australian food here...Outback Steakhouse

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2006
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    there is a macdonalds/KFC/burger kig/subway/pizza hut/eagle boys/starbucks/sizzler/
    So no 0zzies on the board is insuring sep 'eh ?

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I should say, if you are ever in the Southeastern US (between Richmond, Virginia and the panhandle of Florida) go to a Bojangles. You haven't had fast food until you've had Bojangles.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Until I Read Your Thread..........
    Humungus wrote:
    I need some sep camera insurance. I came home the other day to find someone had been through my place & opened a lot of draws..i suspected the building owners but no way would they leave draws open. I had all my gear out with me luckily.

So now most normal contents will only cover to around the $2k mark for camera gear.. i have decided to take out camera insurance that will cover my gear everywhere. If you know whom is good then let me know.

ta gus

I thought I was covered??? but now I am not so sure......tomorrow I will be finding out for sure......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    no insurance for me
    no insurance for me-instead i invested in a solid, lockable metal chequer-plate cabinet with an ultra chunky padlock for the times when i have to leave gear and other valuables at home-when out i never leave gear in the car, but keep it in my pack over my shoulder.

my big fear is putting pack down and walking off from it-its happened once already and 15 minutes later i ran back to where i left it and it was,luckily, still there.

once i have upgraded my camera and bought some more gear i might think about it
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    nokout3839nokout3839 Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    Looks like some homework for Gus
    Humungus wrote:
    I need some sep camera insurance. I came home the other day to find someone had been through my place & opened a lot of draws..i suspected the building owners but no way would they leave draws open. I had all my gear out with me luckily.

So now most normal contents will only cover to around the $2k mark for camera gear.. i have decided to take out camera insurance that will cover my gear everywhere. If you know whom is good then let me know.

ta gus

Looks like you may be the guniea (doughnt know if i spelt it write) pig for this one Gus cos Ive got no idea.:D

Cheers, Nigel

All care but no responsibility

• Options
    edited April 19, 2006
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    RACV Insurance.....I checked today
    Humungus wrote:
    PM me if you want the deatils mate...i found a broker that covered (cough) a substantial amount of gear for accidental damage...fire ..all theft..herpies & pretty well any other act of buddah for $300

I went to the RACV Office today and asked this question.
    If a person's house gets robbed and their camera equipment is inside the house at the time of the robbery even though its value is several thousand $$$$ is it covered by the House and Contents insurance.

Her answer was.... you are covered for whatever you insured the contents of your house for.

She said it is in your best interest to give them a list of Serial Numbers and prices and they can key them into their system......and even better if you can produce receipts should a robbery occur.

She did however say if a was a Professional Photographer things would be different, because that is a business.

She also recommended you should photograph this equipement too.
    So Im staying with my RACV Insurance Gus :D Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    nokout3839nokout3839 Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    PM me if you want the deatils mate...i found a broker that covered (cough) a substantial amount of gear for accidental damage...fire ..all theft..herpies & pretty well any other act of buddah for $300

Not to much of an issue at the moment, but I will be sure to give you a yell if I fall into a heap of money and go stupid on camera gear.

Thanks, Nigel

All care but no responsibility

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    David,
    devbobo wrote:
    lol3.giflol3lol3.gif yeah i'm an aussie through and through.

But there is a 50% chance I might get a 2-year contract in the US.

If you end up being close to SoCal, give us a ring:-)thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    Gus we don't have anything insured outside of house-contents which is silly because no-one knows the risk more than we do - a breakin at our previous house wrecked my home business: 2 new laptops, 2 PCs, scanner the lot - total unmitigated disaster. Anyway I think Greg's answer is pretty good because the insurance I've looked at has so many small-print weasel-holes in it like the kind of sports shots are being taken at being unacceptable etc. So we plan to do "something" soon. None of which is helpful. Skippy's note re photographing everything is a good one.

So today I picked up the new issue of "Capture" in the newsagent, I think it used to be called Australian Professional Photographer Monthly and has been re-invented. There is a 3 or 4 page article on pro insurance, which I have not read through yet. It also mentions small print stuff though, like checking whether gear is covered during overseas travel. (That must rate as too risky for some of them, like shooting car-racing). Come to think of it I had a camera snatched in Viet Nam years ago. My insurance didn't cover that at the time either.
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2006