Options

Possible upcoming gig

docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
edited April 20, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
I just got an inquiry for a possible gig. I am waiting on more information before taking it.

The local chamber of commerce is holding an awards banquet. As part of the banquet, they have a video presentation featuring still photos. In the past, the person producing the videos did the stills. The awards list has grown to the point that it is very difficult for him to do it due to the time involved. Now he is looking to outsource the photography side. So, I get the call.

Naturally this is a very low budget project. But, I think it might be a good oportunity to get some follow on work. I would basically do the pictures for the video for free and then be able to offer prints to the awards recipients and their companies. There is a lot of potential as last year there was a high demand for the prints, the photographer just did not have the printing side of the business set up.

We are talking about 60+ people scattered around a 10 square mile area. So there will be a lot of travel involved as well as time. The producer thinks they might be able to swing a stipend for gas money to offset some of the cost.

I have plenty of vacation days built up at my regular job. The producer has designed a scheduling system that will allow the award recipients to pick times that I would be available in their area to get their photos taken. Basically I would take a Friday off and work one area at a time. The people in that area would be told that I will be in the area and they can schedule thier availability.

The photos required for the video are the people at work type ie. semi candid and not formal portraits. I have been told that if I have time I can shoot portraits and "company photos" that I can use to offer prints.

The video is a major production involving commercials and animation. The producer does it for free as a trade off for a booth at chamber events.

I really need the extra money. It sounds like a fun project. But, it will be time consuming and scheduling that many people is going to bear. Luckily we have a few months to get it done.

Has anyone had experieince doing this type of thing? Advice?
SmugMug Support Hero
http://help.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    Sounds like a good opportunity to network with local companies. Do you have the ability to do headshots? Seems like a lot of companies could use these and you could contact them again regarding them at a later date?

Keep us posted.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 20, 2006
    Headshots should not be a problem. I will be limited as the photos will be taken at their location. Some will involve walking from business to business and dragging all of the gear along needed for the shoot.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    My jaded response
    I have never heard of this scheme ever paying off for the photographer. Shooting on spec is ok for some experiece, but don't count on making money, expect to be spending it.

I wouldn't do it. And I say this after just getting back from shooting the Earth Watch 35th anniversary at the NY Natural History Museum. You don't have to shoot for free to get work.

It is a lot more satisfying landing and completing one paid job than 10 spec jobs.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie