Options

Business idea

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited April 21, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
Got it with promo flyer from Amazon: www.photostamps.com.
Just imagine, if you're doing engagement/wedding, and offer engagement picture to go on a stamp for the wedding invitation. Or wedding picture going on on a stamp for the thank you letters. Or simply a family portrait pic going on Season Greetings envelopes..

Just an idea!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    I had not considered it as a marketing tool when I glanced at the idea somewhere else a few days ago. I don't know the pricing on this stuff, but seems like it could catch on like wildfire. Awesome idea you have for marketing! I'm already trying to think of ways to use it myself....only now I pay so many bills online, I rarely use stamps!!!
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2006
    sounds like a great idea to methumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    great idea... but...
    The stamps cost more than regular stamps, and the photo is so small, that it might be tough to convince someone to pay you to shoot and provide the photos, then pay the postal service their processing fee, plus pay for the cost of the stamps.

Don't get me wrong-- I love the idea. But even a cell phone camera can shoot a decent image for a stamp. It'd be tough to convince someone your fancy pants camera and lighting and processing skills will make much difference for an image the size of a postal stamp.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited April 10, 2006
    I guess
    dogwood wrote:
    The stamps cost more than regular stamps, and the photo is so small, that it might be tough to convince someone to pay you to shoot and provide the photos, then pay the postal service their processing fee, plus pay for the cost of the stamps.

Don't get me wrong-- I love the idea. But even a cell phone camera can shoot a decent image for a stamp. It'd be tough to convince someone your fancy pants camera and lighting and processing skills will make much difference for an image the size of a postal stamp.

I depends on how you gonna "sell" it. I wouldn't base my "bread and butter" business on this, but it may be a nice touch for a medium-to-large project. Kinda icing on a cake. :):
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    Great idea
    I think they are perfect for Thank You cards, etc.

The amazon link stamps are 1.9 inches wide and 1.4 high with a square format image of 1.1 x 1.1.

Zazzle stamps are 2.5 inches wice and 1.5 inches high with a vertical or horizontal image area.

I saw one of the Zazzle stamps and they are large!

They would also be great for engagement announcements, wedding announcements as well as other occasions like baby announcements, party invitations, holiday greeting cards, etc.
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    we get invited to many bat mitzvahs....
    manyh of the kids we know use the photostamps on their invitations..

troy
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    http://www.zazzle.com/stamps/

Never used this feature, but it's an alternative.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2006
    Man, Dee...
    Dee wrote:
    I think they are perfect for Thank You cards, etc.

The amazon link stamps are 1.9 inches wide and 1.4 high with a square format image of 1.1 x 1.1.

Zazzle stamps are 2.5 inches wice and 1.5 inches high with a vertical or horizontal image area.

I saw one of the Zazzle stamps and they are large!

They would also be great for engagement announcements, wedding announcements as well as other occasions like baby announcements, party invitations, holiday greeting cards, etc.

You've got quite a collection there!!thumb.gif
    If you don't mind my asking - does it sell? Is it worth your time? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    Just curious, Dee....which is your best seller??? I think baby announcements would be super....the ideas are limitless!
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    http://www.zazzle.com/stamps/

Never used this feature, but it's an alternative.

I'm slow and reading is hard ne_nau.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    I remember when these first came out. The postal service pulled the original trial after people started ordering stamps with controversial subject matter, since it turned them into legitimate US postage. They tightened the content restrictions, hired a bunch of screeners, trained them to recognize banned personalities/images, and started it up again. Content restrictions are worth a read.

News about it:
    The Smoking Gun
    NPR story
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2006
    Interesting....
    colourbox wrote:
    I remember when these first came out. The postal service pulled the original trial after people started ordering stamps with controversial subject matter, since it turned them into legitimate US postage. They tightened the content restrictions, hired a bunch of screeners, trained them to recognize banned personalities/images, and started it up again. Content restrictions are worth a read.

News about it:
    The Smoking Gun
    NPR story

Thank you for this little history lesson and links!thumb.gif
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    I'm using the zazzle stamps, for a while they kept the price at $14.99 a sheet. I did black and white fine art type images, and with the barcode that's required, yeah, they're quite large but coordinated well together. My customers are impressed.

Oh, and when I had matching notecards made, that really blew them away. Promotion ideas for *their* businesses (I do a fair amount of shooting for stallion owners that are always looking for new promotion ideas.)
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    That's great, Lynn!
    lynnesite wrote:
    I'm using the zazzle stamps, for a while they kept the price at $14.99 a sheet. I did black and white fine art type images, and with the barcode that's required, yeah, they're quite large but coordinated well together. My customers are impressed.

Oh, and when I had matching notecards made, that really blew them away. Promotion ideas for *their* businesses (I do a fair amount of shooting for stallion owners that are always looking for new promotion ideas.)

BTW, thus far all the private online stamps I saw do have those ugly barcodes on a side. :fish
    Does anybody know some provider without it?ne_nau.gif