Options

Problem When Using Firefox

Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
edited April 21, 2006 in SmugMug Support
This has been going on for a few days now, but every time I try and go to any of my galleries, or anyone elses galleries in Smugmug I get a blank page. The only thing that is on the page is the stuff on the top that says "Your Photos" , "logout", "help", "search", etc. The rest of the page is just a blank black page. I've isolated the problem to Firefox because it's working fine in I.E.

Any suggestions? Is anyone else having this problem?
-Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.

Comments

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Red Bull wrote:
    Any suggestions?
    clear your cache&cookies, and restart FF
    Red Bull wrote:
    Is anyone else having this problem?
    Nope, checked your site and others, seems to be working fine
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 18, 2006
    Red Bull wrote:
    This has been going on for a few days now, but every time I try and go to any of my galleries, or anyone elses galleries in Smugmug I get a blank page. The only thing that is on the page is the stuff on the top that says "Your Photos" , "logout", "help", "search", etc. The rest of the page is just a blank black page. I've isolated the problem to Firefox because it's working fine in I.E.

Any suggestions? Is anyone else having this problem?

I think this may be my fault. It looks like a bug with the way i'm handling the gallery style cookie in the new version of the slideshow hack. umph.gif

When you have a blank page show up, go to the style picker at the top and select a gallery style...everything should be fine after that.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    I think this may be my fault. It looks like a bug with the way i'm handling the gallery style cookie in the new version of the slideshow hack. umph.gif

When you have a blank page show up, go to the style picker at the top and select a gallery style...everything should be fine after that.

And so, did you fix it?
    :Ear
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    And so, did you fix it?
    :Ear

you know where to look ear.gif
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    KeithHKeithH Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Related FF Problem?
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but I hated to start a new topic for a similar problem.

I just started noticing yesterday and today that my site is very sluggish using FireFox 1.07 here at work and at home. All of my galleries use the SmugMug style but the thumbs load slowly, and when you click from one thumbnail image to another, the whole page refreshes.

I switched over to Internet Explorer and everything seems zippy. I disabled PageRank to see if that made any difference, but it did not. Of course I use a boardband connection at home and at work. I can't think of any major changes I've made lately.

Anybody else see this? Thanks.

hazweb.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Thank you so much!clap.gif I cleared all cookies and cache and now everything works fine.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    DennisDennis Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Blank page except style picker
    bigwebguy wrote:

I'm having the same thing occur with both FF and IE6. It only occurs after I visit my home page if I have the slideshow hack running. It shows up afterwards when I enter any gallery off the home page. I can clear it like you said by selecting a gallery style (none appears to be selected when it happens)

I thought it was probably something I did wrong in setting up my slide show in a frame that caused it ... Still could be that I suppose...

BTW, clearing cookies and cache stopped it, but only for a while... another thing, it does not occur every time I visit my home page... just sometimes...
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2006
    Dennis wrote:
    I'm having the same thing occur with both FF and IE6. It only occurs after I visit my home page if I have the slideshow hack running. It shows up afterwards when I enter any gallery off the home page. I can clear it like you said by selecting a gallery style (none appears to be selected when it happens)

I thought it was probably something I did wrong in setting up my slide show in a frame that caused it ... Still could be that I suppose...

BTW, clearing cookies and cache stopped it, but only for a while... another thing, it does not occur every time I visit my home page... just sometimes...

dennis, please get the latest version of the slideshow: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=28348
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    DennisDennis Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    dennis, please get the latest version of the slideshow: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=28348

OK... Just got it! I'm glad Steven spoke up, as I figured since no one else was reporting it, that it must be associated with the frame I was using with the SS, so I was looking in that direction.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2006
    Did I put this in the wrong place?
    I just started noticing recently that my site is very sluggish using FireFox here at work and at home. All of my galleries use the SmugMug style but the thumbs load slowly, and when you click from one thumbnail image to another, the whole page refreshes.

I switched over to Internet Explorer and everything seems zippy and normal.

I disabled PageRank to see if that made any difference, but it did not. Of course I use a boardband connection at home and at work. I can't think of any major changes I've made lately. I tried clearing the cache but that didn't help and I tried disabling the slide show and that didn't make a difference either. I also tired removing most things in my css and javascript boxes. No dice.

hazweb.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    try losing the statcounter code.

Also, your site is b0rked in safari.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2006
    KeithH wrote:
    I just started noticing recently that my site is very sluggish using FireFox here at work and at home. All of my galleries use the SmugMug style but the thumbs load slowly, and when you click from one thumbnail image to another, the whole page refreshes.

I switched over to Internet Explorer and everything seems zippy and normal.

I disabled PageRank to see if that made any difference, but it did not. Of course I use a boardband connection at home and at work. I can't think of any major changes I've made lately. I tried clearing the cache but that didn't help and I tried disabling the slide show and that didn't make a difference either. I also tired removing most things in my css and javascript boxes. No dice.

hazweb.smugmug.com
    Don't know if this is what is causing your site to be slow, but you have an open p in your header, and an open div in your footer, you need to fix that for sure.
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Don't know if this is what is causing your site to be slow, but you have an open p in your header, and an open div in your footer, you need to fix that for sure.
    Thanks. I fixed those two things AND I got rid of StatCounter but it doesn't seem to improve things with FireFox -- on this one Windows machine anyway.

I'm assuming no one else sees any significant slowdowns or erratic behavior within galleries?
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2006
    KeithH wrote:
    Thanks. I fixed those two things AND I got rid of StatCounter but it doesn't seem to improve things with FireFox -- on this one Windows machine anyway.

I'm assuming no one else sees any significant slowdowns or erratic behavior within galleries?
    I've just checked your site on my peecee with IE and FF, and i'm not noticing any major differences really. Did you try clearing your cache? Also what version FF are you running? any special FF-extensions you have installed that could cause it to be slower in general?
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    Thanks for taking the time to look.

I tried starting FF in "safe mode" and it didn't make any difference, nor did clearing the cache. The computer I notice the most problem on is an older system running Windows 98. The FireFox version is 1.0.7

The odd thing is everything seemd to work well until just a few days ago. Oh well, I'm not too worried about it since it may only be effecting me on one machine. ne_nau.gif