Options

sorta washed out look?

usersonyusersony Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited April 21, 2006 in Technique
Im relative new to photography, as I haven't ever used a film camera, but I was wondering how do they get the dull looking fashion look? check the link out for examples. (links to Nina Andersson's gallery from her angency)
http://www.ultrany.com/na/fashion/index.htm
scroll thru the picture to get the sense of what I'm talking about.

Is it a certain film or a proceedure in developing?
Any tips on how to establish that look on my digital photos?

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    usersony wrote:
    Im relative new to photography, as I haven't ever used a film camera, but I was wondering how do they get the dull looking fashion look? check the link out for examples. (links to Nina Andersson's gallery from her angency)

Looks like noise and Gaussian blur to me...both easily added from Photoshop
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    usersony wrote:

Hi useronly,

Film itself, especially slides, is very crisp and clear and colorful. It is usually the scanning or printing process that lends to the "trademark" tones and contrast that some people like about film.

Personally, I like my Velvia slides to stay just as crisp and clear and colorful as they originally are, so I spend a lot of time in photoshop trying to un-do the "damage" of scanning...

Going from the digital look to the film look is a bit harder, but dooable. Firstly, test all the in-camera processing settings that your camera offers, and settle on the ones that give you the best results. NOT the best results on your little camera LCD, but on your computer or preferably in print. (Assuming you shoot in JPG and do minimal post-processing)

In theory, it should be easy to "duplicate" the look of the images on the page you linked, simply by using a low-saturation, low-contrast setting on your digital camera. P&S digital cameras tend to heavily process images, (increase contrast and saturation) but a DSLR usually has much less in-camera processing, and ample settings allowing you to custom-taylor the in-camera processing.

The last few things to do are learn about digital soft-focus (a form of blurring the image, but not entirely) and adding digital noise.

Click HERE to see my tutorial on digital soft-focus.

13625116-S.jpg

This shot is more saturated and contrasty than the images on your page, but that can be easily changed in photoshop. Is this more along the lines of what you're after?

65436644-M.jpg
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    usersonyusersony Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 21, 2006
    I will try out your technique with low sat and contrast, and thanks for explaining the process of film.