Options

Canon 5D: Controlling image file names

rneugebauerrneugebauer Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited April 21, 2006 in Cameras
Is there a way to control the image file name (or more precisely, the numbering inside the file name) used by the camera for the 'next' shot?

I would like to be able to make the numbers inside the file names start at a number I choose, for example to keep the numbers from reaching 9..99 and rolling over to 0..01 during one series of photos,

I have hopes that there is, because of the following observation: When I first used my new 5D, I put in a memory card that had previously been used in my 20D.

To my geat surprise (and pleasure), the 5D seemed to use the next consecutive number for the first picture I took with it, rather than starting at 0001.

However, I have no idea how to *manually* use that apparent ability of the camera to sense what number to use next. The manual doesn't say (unelss I missed it).

Thanks in advance

Rainer

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited April 21, 2006
    Rainer - This may help, not sure.

Look at the bottom of pge 69 in the downloadable manual for the 5D under Creating Folders with Personal Computer

Create a folder on the CF card named "DCIM"

Open the DCIM folder, and create as many folders as necessary to save and organize your images.

The Folder names must start with three digits from 100-999followed by five letter, like !))ABC_D.

The five letters can be a combination of upper and lower case letters from A to Z and an underscore. There can be no spaces in the folder name. Also, if there are folder numbers with the same three digit number ( regardless of letters) such as 100ABC_C and 100ABC_D , the camera will not recognize the folders.

Page 70 continues on with File Numbering Methods.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
  • Options