Options

Have I made a big mistake?

Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
edited April 23, 2006 in Technique
After reading the manual, it said to always turn the monitor off before turning off the camera. Oops! I've turned the camera off two different times before turning its monitor off first. I later on found out about that in the manual.:wxwax

It also said to always take the card out first before turning off the camera. I accidently took the card out before turning off the camera first. This was the only time I did that.

So, have I damaged the card and/or camera for taking out the card first? And have I hurt the monitor and/or camera for turning the camera off before turning off its monitor? Or will something start to act up in the near future from doing these things?

I tend to do lil' things like these when I'm in a slight hurry or when I have some things on my mind. So I hope everything is okay with the camera, and its monitor. The card won't matter it damaged or if it will start to act up,`cos I can get a 256mb for $19. I'll just have to be careful from now on.:rolleyes
http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
Camera: Nikon D50
Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
Bag: Canon 200DG

Printer: Canon PIXMA iP6700D

Fisher-Advent Audio

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    ZR...i totally ignore instruction manuals. I dont want to or even try to but its genetic coding that says i dont need to read it first. Without knowing the camera you are refering to i can feel safe in saying that you have not damaged anything. Is anything odd happening ?

*NB - sometimes a manual can assist

If you are ever ordered to light a ships kero fired donkey boiler at 3am...do not purge it more than 3 times..EVER.

Newsflash : warship covers up mystery explosion at dock...soot like substance covers city. Green groups demand substance be identified. Military closes ranks around several men with black faces..torn overalls & hair standing vertically.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    ZR...i totally ignore instruction manuals. I dont want to or even try to but its genetic coding that says i dont need to read it first. Without knowing the camera you are refering to i can feel safe in saying that you have not damaged anything. Is anything odd happening ?

*NB - sometimes a manual can assist

If you are ever ordered to light a ships kero fired donkey boiler at 3am...do not purge it more than 3 times..EVER.

Newsflash : warship covers up mystery explosion at dock...soot like substance covers city. Green groups demand substance be identified. Military closes ranks around several men with black faces..torn overalls & hair standing vertically.

Nah, I haven't noticed anything odd happening. A pro may notice something though... (if there even is or will be anything wrong, brought on by those two things I've done), but I haven't noticed anything... yet. It'll be a pain having to come up with the money and time to take the camera to a shop if it does start to act up.umph.gif

My Gear

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    Nah, I haven't noticed anything odd happening. A pro may notice something though... (if there even is or will be anything wrong, brought on by those two things I've done), but I haven't noticed anything... yet. It'll be a pain having to come up with the money and time to take the camera to a shop if it does start to act up.umph.gif

Worry not, I pull cards out while the camera is on all the time. I probably shoot about 40k photos a year and that is a lot of card swapping. Just don't pull it while the camera is still writing to the card and you will be fine.

And the turning the monitor off thing, don't worry about it.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    Geez, last weekend I pulled out the card while the monitor was on and the camera exploded. Then I turned off the monitor while the camera was on and it caught fire. They should warn you about these things.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    Worry not, I pull cards out while the camera is on all the time. I probably shoot about 40k photos a year and that is a lot of card swapping. Just don't pull it while the camera is still writing to the card and you will be fine.

And the turning the monitor off thing, don't worry about it.

Okay, good deal. Thanks!:):

We have a tornado watch/warning until 11pm. Not that I hope one touches, but if I could get a good night-shot of one, and it were to be pretty sharp and clear, it'll be on here by morning.:D

My Gear

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Geez, last weekend I pulled out the card while the monitor was on and the camera exploded. Then I turned off the monitor while the camera was on and it caught fire. They should warn you about these things.

rolleyes1.gif I take that as a... "No, not a thing will happen to the camera by pulling the card out or by leaving the monitor on before turning the camera off". rolleyes1.gif

Thanks!:):

My Gear

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Well he didn't say anything about fire or explosions. I guess if you are worried about such things, sure, hide in your bunker mwink.gif
    wxwax wrote:
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie