New features - 10/08/2004

onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
edited October 22, 2004 in SmugMug Support
Got some new features on the site now. The most visible ones are:

New gallery settings options for Pros:
= Larges - allows you to turn off all access to your Large (800px) photos.

= Clean - Turns off descriptions and last updated times on your homepage and categories pages.

Quite a few other things here and there, some of which you won't notice for a few more days... :)

As usual, yell at us if stuff doesn't work or we can do it better.

Don

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2004
    whoa :)
    hey thanks don! i know of a few guys that were beggin' for the "ixnay on the arge-lay" thing.

very very cool.

onethumb wrote:
    Got some new features on the site now. The most visible ones are:

New gallery settings options for Pros:
    = Larges - allows you to turn off all access to your Large (800px) photos.

= Clean - Turns off descriptions and last updated times on your homepage and categories pages.

Quite a few other things here and there, some of which you won't notice for a few more days... :)

As usual, yell at us if stuff doesn't work or we can do it better.

Don
  • Erik OlsenErik Olsen Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2004
    Thanx, Don...

That's awsome...

Is there a way for me to customize all my galleries at once to turn off the 'large' feature?

Thank you,

Erik Olsen
    Thank you,

• tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2004
    My home page is set up with "catagories" rather than galleries. How can I "clean" up my home page. Setting all of the galleries within a catagory to "clean" didn't remove the update notation on my home page. Am I missing something?
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2004
    I encountered the same problem...I activated the clean option and nothing happened. Same update information is there.
    tmlphoto wrote:
    My home page is set up with "catagories" rather than galleries. How can I "clean" up my home page. Setting all of the galleries within a catagory to "clean" didn't remove the update notation on my home page. Am I missing something?
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    I encountered the same problem...I activated the clean option and nothing happened. Same update information is there.

Click here and you should see the "Clean" display.

You're setting "Clean" on galleries, not categories (you can't on categories), so the changes appear on your homepage if you're displaying galleries, otherwise it shows up in all the category pages.

We might be able to make it "cascade up" to the category level, I'll have to look at it. If we do make such a change, it will only happen if every single album within a category is set to 'Clean'.

Don
    edited October 8, 2004
    Erik Olsen wrote:
    Thanx, Don...

That's awsome...

Is there a way for me to customize all my galleries at once to turn off the 'large' feature?

Thank you,

Erik Olsen

Wish there was. I'm afraid you're stuck doing it manually.

I've been planning on adding a "use these settings for all new galleries" feature, and I suppose I could make it also have an "apply to all galleries" option, but we're not there yet. No promises on when we will be, either, I'm afraid. :)

Don
    edited October 8, 2004
    onethumb wrote:
    Wish there was. I'm afraid you're stuck doing it manually.

I've been planning on adding a "use these settings for all new galleries" feature, and I suppose I could make it also have an "apply to all galleries" option, but we're not there yet. No promises on when we will be, either, I'm afraid. :)

Don

Actually, I lied. If you drop us a note asking us to do it for you, I can do this via our database. I'd be happy to.

Email smugmug's help about it, they'll let me know.

I can do this for anyone else reading this thread too... but it's only an "all or nothing" option. If you want *all* your current galleries to have Large protected, email help. I can't pick and choose.

Don
  • PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2004
    These are fantastic additions. I'm truly surprised at the leaps and bounds Smugmug consistently takes. Thanks you. thumb.gif
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2004
    Thanks One Thumb!!
    onethumb wrote:

You're setting "Clean" on galleries, not categories (you can't on categories), so the changes appear on your homepage if you're displaying galleries, otherwise it shows up in all the category pages.

We might be able to make it "cascade up" to the category level, I'll have to look at it. If we do make such a change, it will only happen if every single album within a category is set to 'Clean'.

Don
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2004
    Good stuff.

Now I'd like the ability to show exif normally with the photos as in f/stop, aperature, flash, iso -- without having to bring up a secondary popup screen....just underneath the photo

Lee
  • marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2004
    These features are nice and all, but will you guys please, please, please put making pro pricing faster at the top of your list (i.e. things like making alll things costing price x cost price y or being able to import pricing from another gallery)?
    Thanks,
    Richard
    edited October 14, 2004
    onethumb wrote:

Don
    I just checked out this smugmug site www.lbrentgilmore.com , he has the clean look to his galleries. This looks very professional. This is a plea for the abilitiy to have clean "catagories" as well. This makes a real difference IMHO.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • jbeejbee Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2004
    Do you think he'd share his code? I'd love to get the multi page look he's achieved.

How'd he do that?
  • yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2004
    onethumb wrote:

Don
    Hi, the clean looks great, but it would look even greater if it was clean for subcategories and categories as well. I have nearly 70 galleries, so I can't do without categories and subcategories. So if there IS a way to cascade up, that would be phenomenally lovelllly.
  • LBGLBG Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2004
    Ill help however I can!
    jbee wrote:
    Do you think he'd share his code? I'd love to get the multi page look he's achieved.

How'd he do that?

I dont profess to be an expert everything is ALL trail and error.
    I get all my code from www.w3schools.com. The site has a test area where you can try all your code before you put it in smugmug.

Here is another example that I did, this actually came before my home page. www.2004conventionphotos.com I created this for the Republican Convetion. I got hired to shoot a couple events and I thought this would be a good idea to make some extra money. NOPE! Didnt work, but it was good experience for my homepage.
    I also have a friend who helps with the stickier parts. lbg
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited October 22, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    This is a plea for the abilitiy to have clean "catagories" as well. This makes a real difference IMHO.
    Done: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=3278

Thanks,
    Baldy
    edited October 22, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    Thanks for the prompt response. You guys ROCK!!!!!!!!!

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com