Options

DC for a week

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited October 8, 2004 in The Big Picture
where do you all shoot?

ginger, week starting OCT 18th, leaving 23rd. I have a friend there, plus my daughter and grandkids, but ..........what secret places, close to Woodbridge, that you all know about that I wouldn't. You know, run over after the kids gymnastic classes.

ginger

Also, maybe one day Sara could take me somewhere, DC, Alexandria, ?????
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    where do you all shoot?

ginger, week starting OCT 18th, leaving 23rd. I have a friend there, plus my daughter and grandkids, but ..........what secret places, close to Woodbridge, that you all know about that I wouldn't. You know, run over after the kids gymnastic classes.

ginger

Also, maybe one day Sara could take me somewhere, DC, Alexandria, ?????

look for damonff :D
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2004
    I thought of Damonff right away, then all these other people pop up in that area. But it is a week time. Everybody is busy.

Where does Damonff hang out? What park bench would he be near?

g

I will not have my car (nor my dogs, she doesn't allow dogs:cry ), not having a car is a huge liability.
    And she pays for my train ticket.......aaaaaaaaaaaaggggghhhhh. I kinda belong to her for a week, but I would like to be able to entice her into one photogenic place. I do not do well with monuments. Don't want to tour museums. Would love to show the world how tee tiny small the White House looks in person, but don't know how to do that.

So, it is the things the people who live there know about. And we know that the topic that week is landscapes. Honestly, I have never seen a landscape with Sara, see them from the train, though. I guess Mt Vernon could be called a landscape, but I hope we won't go there.

DAMON, PM me..........I won't bother you, if you don't want, but you know where what is.......

Sara said I could take a couple of pictures of street people, don't know when we would have time, but ............well, where do the locals go, besides gymnastics, etc, and Sam's, we go to Sam's a lot, not much there that isn't here.

ginger
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2004
    Are you taking the train into Union Station? That's very photogenic.

My favorite shot in DC is to go around the side of the Lincoln Memorial and look back at the Washington Monument. So you have the wall of the LM on the left and the LM columns on the right framing the WM. But then again, anywhere in DC should be a goldmine of opportunities. Tons of cool architecture, lots of history. Emotions at the Vietnam Wall. If you get a few hours near the Mall, I know you will come back with tons of good shots. You have the eye for it.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2004
    sshhhh, don't tell anyone, but I don't much like the mall. I would love to be there on the fourth of July, after they take away all that security stuff they have now, but I have been to the Lincoln Memorial, all those places. The most photogenic, I thought, was Arlington Cemetery.

I am having a brain lock. Can't think of where those photos are, they were with my first Elph S100. sshhh, i get annoyed with lincoln, don't tell anyone. museums kill me.

Aren't there any "me" places, non DC places? My train stops at Alexandria. That is a cute little place, but we have great photos as a "family" from there.
    We went to a little town to taste wine, a tourist spot, but it was fun, because Sara thought it was. If she is not happy, or her kids are whiney......ouch.

9496871-L.jpg

This is my favorite photo of the mall, the whole kit and kaboodle. I love that green little stand. It is in front of the large Lincoln Memorial, but that stand were what the vets, older men, were really examining.

They may have fought for their country, and the memorials, but their memories were in that green stand with the American Flag. My husband is a Viet Nam vet and he has this picture at his studio.

Maybe it was because I came of age, emotionally, in the sixties, but this is what I think it is all about. I was disappointed in the wall, I hate to say that, it brings such scorn and disbelief. But I was very touched watching the older people sort through all the war memories in that green bldg.

ginger
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2004
    The town of Occoquan is close to woodbridge and has some lovely old buildings. Then there is the wildlife preserves along the River at Neabsco Creek and Powells Creek and Veterans Park. There is also the old town section of Fredericksburg. Old Town Alex. is riddled with alleys that lead back into open courtyards with a whole world that is rarely seen from the street and has old carriage houses dating back to the time of the horse and buggy that have been converted into homes and many small, quiet, private gradens.

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2004
    Thanks, Rocket Man, I think I may have been to that little town, loved it.

I am loving all the suggestions, even the mall, Sara, my daughter and her family, plan on using the Lincoln Memorial as backdrop for their Christmas photo this year. So I am sending that idea on to her, the great shot behind the memorial. (Her husband is in the navy, so this is not their final destination, they hope to get south sooner rather than later, but while they are there, they are using a famous place for a Christmas picture each year. They started with the White House, of course. Last year it was Mt Vernon.

Who knows I might end up down there. (the mall, I kind of inserted a few sentences just to confuse things)

Right now she is thinking of taking me to the Roosevelt Memorial.....place. Does anyone know whether good/bad, interesting........interesting meaning scenic.

See, where I live, it is flat, I mean flatter than you can imagine if you don't live here. A hill does not exist. Also the leaves do not actually change color.

So all that is a thrill for me to see.

Keep any and all suggestions coming, I am really appreciating them.

ginger