which do you prefer and why?

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited October 9, 2004 in Landscapes
i had another shot of this lovely london street violinist, and i processed her both in color (really only a slight curves adjustment) and in bw (convert to bw and then a 16% luminosity toning layer applied). which do you prefer, and why? i like them both, and have put the bw in my street photography gallery and the color in my hazy hot and humid gallery. :lol

8187268-L.jpg

8187117-L.jpg

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2004
    Definitely this one. The golden light on the walls is beautiful. B/W doesn't add anything for me, and the loss of the golden light is a negative, IMO.

8187268-S.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2004
    I'm always doing this (current challenge entry being a prime example, I think I'm on my third try!).
    Normally I end up opting for B&W or slightly toned, but on this one I prefer the colour. I like the warmess of the light and the gentleness of the colours, helps you to hear the violin
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2004
    Definitely the color for me Andy.. soft and warm.. the black and white leaves me feeling....what... somethings missing.

:D
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Definitely the color for me Andy.. soft and warm.. the black and white leaves me feeling....what... somethings missing.

:D
    Add my vote... The B/W doesn't do anything for me when compared to the color. On the otherhand increasing the contrast with curves and making the B/W more gritty.... Just a thought
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited September 6, 2004
    Beautiful shot, as always. I love the color for all the reasons everyone else said, but I did think cmr's adjustments to the b&w made it pop.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2004
    chas and baldy
    i'm so into b&w - and what i'll do is probably a step in between what i've presented here and a full tri-x asa 1600 treatment - and end up with something a bit more poppy, contrasty, like chas' edit.

thanks guys.
    edited September 6, 2004
    thanks david, lynn and gubbsie
    i appreciate your feedback, both versions will be presented, just in different galleries. i do this sometimes, but not always.

thanks again
  • jantzenjantzen Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 17, 2004
    Andy, I really want to see your Tri-x version of this violinist.

I am going to go through some of my old shots that I like and see what they look like after your tri-x treatment.

Jantzen
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    Sure wish we had street musicians hanging around here. I really "dig" them, and I don't even like the word.

We probably have an ordinance saying, "no street musicians".

ginger

I like the color best, but the blk and white is certainly worthy of treatment. Some places, sometimes that would be the one of choice.

Andy, have you ever thought of doing a book?
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • tmshotstmshots Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    I'd go for the color, there is more life and the girl seems to pull out toward you moreso than the b/w. You've got alot of the better elements in the color shot with the grit and grime of the background. And then there is this person playing out something you can almost feel is soft and melodious (that right? dictionary too far away) Its more alive and places you there almost able to hear something playing in the back. Yes, I'd have to vote for the color.
    of books (for ginger)
    ginger_55 wrote:

Andy, have you ever thought of doing a book?

shh! don't tell anyone, but it's in the works :D

keep it between you and me, okay dear?
  • jantzenjantzen Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    Andy, Sign me up for 2 copies.

1 to flip through daily until it wears all the way out and is just a tattered, dog-eared fragment and 1 to treasure, hoard and covet, my precious! LOTR refrence, nothing else funny going on in that play on words, although I do find you precious, Andy!!!

Jantzen
    andy wrote:
    shh! don't tell anyone, but it's in the works :D

keep it between you and me, okay dear?
    edited October 2, 2004
    jantzen ...
    jantzen wrote:
    Andy, Sign me up for 2 copies.

1 to flip through daily until it wears all the way out and is just a tattered, dog-eared fragment and 1 to treasure, hoard and covet, my precious! LOTR refrence, nothing else funny going on in that play on words, although I do find you precious, Andy!!!

Jantzen

hang in there :D thanks for the support!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited October 9, 2004
    Color adds warmth and a depth that seem to be missing in the B&W.
    The subtleness of the colors also make the violinist stand out as if the photo
    were stylized.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2004
    Hmmm. I guess I think the color does a better job of bringing out the contrast between the grimy surroundings and the sophisticated violinist. It's a really nice B&W exposure. But I find a richer story in the color version.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au