Options

Night Shooting, almost.........

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited October 9, 2004 in Wildlife
9590240-L.jpg

I have done a tiny bit to this in post. I have not increased the exposure, just took it to photoshop, increased the saturation a tad, probably the brightness and the contrast a tad. Then I sharpened it to the hilt. I used three different methods found in a Kelby book. I kind of enjoy that. This was already pretty sharp in the first fence rail thing.
I used USM, Lab USM and Luminosity USM, smile.

It was taken with a huge cloud inland, black kind of thing, and some light, well you can see the cloud and light. It was handheld at 1.3 seconds f stop 5.6
ISO 800 and my widest lens, at it's widest, 18 mm digital Rebel.

ginger

9590241-L.jpg

This is how it came out of the camera, just RAW converted to JPEG.

g again........
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2004
    much improved very good i cant spell potoship [yet] the final outcome very good clap.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2004
    Ginger, it's a really nice shot, sweet composition. In my humble opinion the foreground is too dark, I can't see any detail. Perhaps my monitor needs to be adjusted. If so, please ignore this post.

If not, then this is a perfect candidate for the Photoshop challenge. Make one RAW exposure keeping the sky the way you have it right now. Save it. Then make a second RAW exposure, bringing out some detail in the foreground. Save it under a different title.

Then paste one image over the other, make a mask, and reveal the sky from the first exposure, and reveal the foreground from the second exposure. I think you'd have a corking shot.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Ginger, it's a really nice shot, sweet composition. In my humble opinion the foreground is too dark, I can't see any detail. Perhaps my monitor needs to be adjusted. If so, please ignore this post.

If not, then this is a perfect candidate for the Photoshop challenge. Make one RAW exposure keeping the sky the way you have it right now. Save it. Then make a second RAW exposure, bringing out some detail in the foreground. Save it under a different title.

Then paste one image over the other, make a mask, and reveal the sky from the first exposure, and reveal the foreground from the second exposure. I think you'd have a corking shot.
    I have a lighter version, the foreground here would depend on the monitor, it is very dark, I like to just keep detail, always some detail, and I can see some but barely.

Sam was asking about night shots, and I was thinking about this frightful night.

I went and got this shot, converted the orig to jpeg just to show him, which I didn't, lol. Then I brought out just enough in the foreground that I could see detail, that would be a matter of the monitor and the personal artistic taste of the viewer. I did think of some form of pasting, but I don't know how to do what you just said.

However......................... I was going to put this on the challenge, was just about to, had my copy and my finger triggered, was going to call it something like "time to go home", then I realized that it was taken before Monday. Darn and double darn. But that is how close even the informed can be to really messing up, doing something wrong.

I was excited for awhile, smile.

But if you ever have time, perhaps you could tell me how you "paste" yours together. I found one thing in a book, it takes it into layers, then into a blend mode, etc. When you and Andy just say Paste, I would love to know what you mean.

ginger (Thanks so much for stopping by and for commenting, it was so appreciated!)
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2004
    Time to go home
    This was shot fri night, to be truthful, if any other weekend shots are let in, please let me know.

I finally got this "blended". It is so frustrating, I have no idea what I am doing, and to finally get the top layer to come free and go on the other layer, it is just try, try, try, no idea why it does/doesn't work. It should not be so much work. Since it is, I sure won't use it much.

Oh, I also put some G blur on it, put it back in layers and hit multiply, I didn't like it as light as it was. This is as light as I think a night shot goes. And the beach is a bit dirty with all the storms and stuff. I sharpened it every which way again. They all work. Don't seem to work against each other either.

If anyone actually reads this, could you please sign your name somewhere. I think I am talking to my computer..............

ginger
    9593262-L.jpg