Options

Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L: first tests

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited April 26, 2006 in Cameras
Today I finally got my hands on this tilt-shift lens. :clap

Shift turned out to be relatively easy to grasp and operate.

Tilt, however, was not doing what I think it would, until I finally got it in a vertical orientation and tested against the ruler. The "Rule of thums" with tilt seems to be "tilt the front of the lens towards the plane you want to be in focus (at a cost of everything else), and vice versa".
I can see it can be used to create non-trivial narrow focus zone, especially in combination with rotating capabilities (lens can be rotated on its mount upto 90 degrees with 30 degrees minute locks).

Still need to practice more, but thus far I think I got the basics covered.
One thing: even though reviews said AE works with tilit, I have my doubts. In P mode it was waaaaaay off if the tilt value was significant. I ended up "picking" the shutter/aperture values at 0 tilt, locking it in manual mode and then tilting, framing and capturing.

Few shots from today.

Canon 30D + TS-E 24mm f/3.5L

01: Tower - normal view. Note the slight keystone distortion:

66163328-M.jpg

02: Tower - shift engaged. No distortion:

66163369-M.jpg

03: Tower from distance - normal view. Note the keystone distortion:

66163435-M.jpg

04: Tower from distance - shift engaged. Distortion on the tower is gone:

66163483-M.jpg

05: Street - normal:

66163582-M.jpg

06: Street - right tilt (all I can see is a narrow in focus zone):

66163654-M.jpg

07: Street - left tilt (same - narrow focus corridor):

66163701-M.jpg

08: Ruler - normal view. That's the "default" DOF:

66163764-M.jpg

09: Ruler - uptilt. Note the decreased DOF:

66163821-M.jpg

10: Ruler - downtilt. Note the increased DOF:

66163903-M.jpg

The gallery is here:
http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/1399067.

HTH
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    Very interesting, thanks for the review. I've looked at the TS-E lenses and would like to have one, but I just wouldn't use it enough. Maybe I will rent one sometime. Looks like fun to play with.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    It's fun to have a new toy isn't it, and that looks like a fun toy. One thing I noticed in your shots with the clouds is that when the shift is engaged they seem to get a magenta cast.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    Steven,
    Red Bull wrote:
    Very interesting, thanks for the review. I've looked at the TS-E lenses and would like to have one, but I just wouldn't use it enough. Maybe I will rent one sometime. Looks like fun to play with.

You're welcome, thanks for stopping by!

It was my intention to rent one for the shootout, but then I kinda decided to own it :):
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    Hey Nick,
    gluwater wrote:
    It's fun to have a new toy isn't it, and that looks like a fun toy. One thing I noticed in your shots with the clouds is that when the shift is engaged they seem to get a magenta cast.

It sure is:-)
    About magenta cast: it's fairly possible. Other reviewers mentioned increased CA when tilt and/or shift is engaged. I personally would be surprised if it wouldn't, considering the complexity of the optical structure.
    However, as we all know now, casts are easy targets for any PS users, so I'm not gonna be concerned too much over it.:):
    Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    Thanks Nik for the review
    I also was looking into the the tilt/shift but was looking at the 45mm it's a little faster.
    Wonder how these would on panos,macro ?
    It seems to me I read somewhere they worked out good with extension tubesne_nau.gif

Have fun with the new lens

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 25, 2006
    Fred - do you have a source for the suggestion that T&S lenses work well with extension tubes?

If you think how big the image circle has to be for shifting the lens up or down - a much larger image circle than a standard sensor size, it seems like an extension tube would interfere with the large image circle.

I know I have seen close ups of flowers though on the Digital Outback website that were shot with a 90 T&S, but I cannot remember if extension tubes were mentioned.

Interesting devices to explore though.

Tilt is typically used to extend the area of sharp focus from the ground near the camera to infinity in the treees, or mountains in the distance. The lens is tilted down for this, like Nik displayed so well.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    Nik, it takes a while to figure them out. I don't think I grasp all of it correctly. Anyway, one of the cool benefits of that lens is using it for panoramas. Shift it full left take picture, put it normal take picture, shift it full right, take picture, stitch together. Its pretty effective. You could just use the left and right images if you don't shift all the way I believe.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    Thanks for this review...

I have long coveted a T/S lens for shooting cakes and table shots at weddings....(I know this is overkill but I love shooting tables) But a 40mm (on a 1.6) 1200 dollar shift lens never really got my blood pumping for such a narrow application. I had seriously considered a Hartblei Russian T/S, but wondered how the lack of metering would effect me, and I would end up with an even longer focal length. Then I considered a T-90 and a FD Tilt Shift which I would shoot just a 12 roll of positive film. This still seems like the best option for what I want. The 24L TS-E looks fun on the 30D, but for the price?? I'm not so sure. Some of those shift effects on the street look frighteningly close to what I can produce with a 90 dollar lensbaby (with a ton more CA of course).
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Fred - do you have a source for the suggestion that T&S lenses work well with extension tubes?

If you think how big the image circle has to be for shifting the lens up or down - a much larger image circle than a standard sensor size, it seems like an extension tube would interfere with the large image circle.

I know I have seen close ups of flowers though on the Digital Outback website that were shot with a 90 T&S, but I cannot remember if extension tubes were mentioned.

Interesting devices to explore though.

Tilt is typically used to extend the area of sharp focus from the ground near the camera to infinity in the treees, or mountains in the distance. The lens is tilted down for this, like Nik displayed so well.

Jim I am at work so I have to look in my bookmarks when I get home...I hope I saved it
    You have probably have seen this...but make sure you visit his site link on the bottom of this page
    Lost of macros with this lens...90mm

I did find more here and this is kinda cool too

Fred
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    Fred,
    USAIR wrote:
    Thanks Nik for the review
    I also was looking into the the tilt/shift but was looking at the 45mm it's a little faster.
    Wonder how these would on panos,macro ?
    It seems to me I read somewhere they worked out good with extension tubesne_nau.gif

Have fun with the new lens

Thanks
    Fred

You're welcome!:):
    Panos and macros should be relativelie easy. And yes, I also read about its compatibility with the extension tubes.
    Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    Path,
    pathfinder wrote:
    do you have a source for the suggestion that T&S lenses work well with extension tubes?
    Google is your friend: just type "tilt shift extension tubes" and select the source you deem most reliable :-)
    pathfinder wrote:

I hope I'm gonna have a blast with it in the slot canyons:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    Bob,
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Nik, it takes a while to figure them out. I don't think I grasp all of it correctly. Anyway, one of the cool benefits of that lens is using it for panoramas. Shift it full left take picture, put it normal take picture, shift it full right, take picture, stitch together. Its pretty effective. You could just use the left and right images if you don't shift all the way I believe.

Thanks for looking and commenting. thumb.gif
    Yeah, I got the small panorama idea. Needs a good tripod, though:-) :):

Cheers! 1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    Blurmore,
    Blurmore wrote:
    Thanks for this review...

I have long coveted a T/S lens for shooting cakes and table shots at weddings....(I know this is overkill but I love shooting tables) But a 40mm (on a 1.6) 1200 dollar shift lens never really got my blood pumping for such a narrow application. I had seriously considered a Hartblei Russian T/S, but wondered how the lack of metering would effect me, and I would end up with an even longer focal length. Then I considered a T-90 and a FD Tilt Shift which I would shoot just a 12 roll of positive film. This still seems like the best option for what I want. The 24L TS-E looks fun on the 30D, but for the price?? I'm not so sure. Some of those shift effects on the street look frighteningly close to what I can produce with a 90 dollar lensbaby (with a ton more CA of course).

You're welcome!

Yeah, I know, it's expensive. But I simply had an urge. Slot canyons are coming, and I wanted an appropriate lens to shoot them with :-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    Also Nik If you didn't sell off your 58mm filters from the 727,828 like the 250D it should work too
    That would be interesting to see too.

Fred
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 25, 2006
    USAIR wrote:
    Also Nik If you didn't sell off your 58mm filters from the 727,828 like the 250D it should work too
    That would be interesting to see too.

Fred

The 90mm F2.8 T&S takes a58mm filter size. The 24mm T&S and the 45mmT&S takes a 72mm filter size. I would suggest a 72-77mm adapter and a typical Canon 77mm filter for the 24 and the 45 T&S.

The 250D or the 500D should both work on the 90 T&S nicely.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    Fred and Path
    pathfinder wrote:
    The 90mm F2.8 T&S takes a58mm filter size. The 24mm T&S and the 45mmT&S takes a 72mm filter size. I would suggest a 72-77mm adapter and a typical Canon 77mm filter for the 24 and the 45 T&S.

The 250D or the 500D should both work on the 90 T&S nicely.

As Path pointed out, 24mm has 72mm thread. I'm using 77 mm filters and up-rings..
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    hartblei will meter
    "" I had seriously considered a Hartblei Russian T/S, but wondered how the lack of metering would effect me, and I would end up with an even longer focal length.""

it will meter as the metering is done from the screen-the only thing you lose with it is autofocus which should not be a concern

a macro T/S lens would be something, wouldn't it?

i think there are some examples of hartblei shots in the manual focus forum
    here:

http://oomz.net/mf/index.php
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    gtc wrote:
    it will meter as the metering is done from the screen-the only thing you lose with it is autofocus which should not be a concern

Aren't all T/S lenses manual focus only?
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2006
    Red Bull wrote:
    Aren't all T/S lenses manual focus only?

Yes nod.gif

Fred