Options

Advertising at a Wedding/Reception....

jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
edited April 26, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When photographing a wedding/reception, what has been some successful methods in advertising you have the pictures on the web for people to review and order ? I have heard of passing out business cards at the reception, e-mail lists, and the bride/groom putting info in the thank you cards. [/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What are your thoughts and experiences ??[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Also, what is the turn around time for you to get the pictures on the web site for family/friends to review and place orders ?[/FONT]

Your thoughts and experiences are appreciated.

Thanks - jr

Comments

• Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    I don't see a thing in your post... I went to your website, but I find the colors very very difficult to read. Dark all over...
    I am put off to view your website because of the bad color combination...
  • Options
    DTMPhotosDTMPhotos Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    jerryr wrote:
    [FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When photographing a wedding/reception, what has been some successful methods in advertising you have the pictures on the web for people to review and order ? I have heard of passing out business cards at the reception, e-mail lists, and the bride/groom putting info in the thank you cards. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What are your thoughts and experiences ??[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Also, what is the turn around time for you to get the pictures on the web site for family/friends to review and place orders ?[/FONT]

Thanks - jr

www.jrphotos.smugmug.com

To your questions...I prebuild the gallery and provide the link address to the B&G. Most are more than willing to include the link either in the invitations or in the thank you cards. I see lots of hits but frankly don't see many purchases from this (FWIW).

Generally, I commit to have the initial album cut online within 4 weeks of the ceremony. I generally make it within 2-3 weeks but use 4 as the baseline to manage expectations...

Hope this helps...

Derek
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    I checked your site out.

My opinion is that it's pretty bad.

The photos for the weddings are not good. Point and Shoot or not, I've gotten better pictures with a 3.2 MP camera.

Seriously, I'm not sure why anyone would hire you with those photos as examples.

If it sounds harsh, it would be my opinion even as a non-photographer.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    My thoughts and experience
    The way I see it, a wedding is not a place to advertise. It comes across as crass and tacky to many people. So what I do is provide the link to the bride and groom that they can send out if they want others to view the photos online. Optionally, they can also include the link on their thank you cards. But I leave those choices entirely up to them.

I usually have the gallery online within one week of the wedding.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Do you feel like a big man now? How about responding to the question instead of dumping on the site?
    Khaos wrote:
    I checked your site out...
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    I'm not a wedding photographer. I run and hide from them because I don't have all of the kit needed and never have shot one and don't want to ruin something very important to a couple families.

I do shoot events and they share some parallel points.

I agree its tacky that you walk around and hand out cards. If someone asks you how to contact you, hand them a card. My cards have my website and cell number. That way they can leave an email through the contact page or call me.

I do think its appropriate to have your business / contact information available somewhere. Something like an 8.5x11 on card stock sitting on an eisel or something like that. Make it tasteful and do it in a way that it blends. For a wedding, maybe white stock with black script lettering. Something classy and simple can go a long way. I would also put a small stack of cards where you place it.

I'm sure most people there realise that you are running a business. So being professional in every step is important. This includes dressing appropriatedly :)

I agree your website is a bit scary with the colors. I would pick something in the black,gray, white, creme color space for your colors. They are easy on the eyes. Check out Shay's site, I think it is very nice. Either way, this is pretty minor to make those changes to your site if you feel its needed.

If a professional is shooting sittings for the wedding. Don't stand to the side, take images and then post them as casual weddings. Its tacky, probably unethical, and is negatively impacting professional photography. I say this because you have shots of a sit and the wedding party is all looking at an angle away from you. Think about if someone did this to your paid shoot.

I hope this helps. 1 last piece of advice. Only post sharp and properly exposed images on your site or in your book. It will win you more customers if they are overwhelmed by your work and you can offer it at a fair price :) Good Luck.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2006
    Shay - Thanks for the information - and responding to my questions.
    Yes, to your point, I was not looking to advertise at the wedding at all. I just wanted to get some suggestions on communicating to the guests the point they can check out the pictures on-line. It seems like the appropriate way is through the 'thank you' cards - I have heard that opinion from a few others as well. Again, thank you.

Mr. Khaos - Thanks for the feedback. Yep, I am changing the colors on my web stie to a lighter color. No problem - just not the #1 priority right now. As far as my photos, yep, they are not professional at all and I was NOT the official photographer - just some pictures I took for fun - simple as that. I actually have a take pictures at about 1/2 dozen weddings back with my 35mm camera and I have had a lot of feedback from bride/groom/family that I did better than the photographer they hired did!

Dont worry, I will check out your site - when time permits...

thanks - jerry
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    jerryr wrote:

Thanks - jr

Hi, Jerry - you may want to edit your post and remove the color formatting. Some folks use the "Dgrin White style" and white on white is what photocat was experiencing :D
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Khaos wrote:
    I checked your site out.

My opinion is that it's pretty bad.

The photos for the weddings are not good. Point and Shoot or not, I've gotten better pictures with a 3.2 MP camera.

Seriously, I'm not sure why anyone would hire you with those photos as examples.

If it sounds harsh, it would be my opinion even as a non-photographer.

Khaos - what's come over you? We all want and need constructive criticism - it's welcomed here by everyone, including Jerry whom I've known for a long time... But you just drop a smelly bomb like this - without creative thought, constructive advice, and any sort of help. Nor any real reasons that back up your missiles.

Do you want to rethink this and come back with a more constructive post that will perhaps benefit the original poster? That's what Dgrin is about, NOT the poop and run like you left.

Smelly.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Khaos - what's come over you? We all want and need constructive criticism - it's welcomed here by everyone, including Jerry whom I've known for a long time... But you just drop a smelly bomb like this - without creative thought, constructive advice, and any sort of help. Nor any real reasons that back up your missiles.

Do you want to rethink this and come back with a more constructive post that will perhaps benefit the original poster? That's what Dgrin is about, NOT the poop and run like you left.

Smelly.

15524779-Ti.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2006
    Thanks Andy for the catch on the color - sorry about that everyone - did not know about the 'white on white' - I just simply changed the color to red. And also, Thank you for the support as well....

Again, I am just looking for suggestions on best practices for appropriately communicating information about the wedding picture gallery to family/friends that attend the wedding and reception. Also, 'turn around time'.

I attended a wedding in March - the photographer had the pictures on his web site (non smugmug) within 3 weeks. You had to have his business card (for the URL) and remember the wedding date and grooms last name (lower case) to access the pictures. The photographer had a laptop of with a slide show of pictures from the ceremony set up by the DJ with business cards.

Remember what Abraham Lincoln said "He who has the heart to criticize should have the hand to help..."

thanks - jerry
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    My apologies.

Andy, I have no idea what my problem was or is. No excuses. I was an ass.

Again, I apologise.
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2006
    apology accepted - thank you.

Any ideas anyone is willing to share on this topic would be more than
    helpful too all...

- jerry
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    I should probably keep my mouth shut here... oops....

I think what was trying to be said about the site was the images that are viewable by the public. I think I could have a similar problem with my site. But essentially, if you are trying to sell yourself as a wedding photographer, you might want to have a gallery that displays your best work. The only public gallery you show displays casual pictures taken by you that vary with their quality. I am sure you will admit these are not your best shots, as you have plenty of great shots on your site.

Prospective clients will go to your site to see samples of your work and see these images. You might want to make a simple collection of your favorite and best wedding shots and show them off and password protect the others?

Just a thought.

Good luck to you.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos