Options

Light weaving II

DeaconDeacon Registered Users Posts: 239 Major grins
edited April 29, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
OK, spent some time with a new setup and adjustments. Any of these qualifiy to enter?

66509181-L-1.jpg

66509233-L.jpg

66509164-L.jpg

66509307-L.jpg

Deacon

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    As long as the are 1" or more..
    Deacon wrote:
    OK, spent some time with a new setup and adjustments. Any of these qualifiy to enter?
    Deacon

.. they would all qualify.. deal.gif
    They all look good, as do your original ones. I's say - choose one and run with it:-) thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    Agree. iloveyou.gif all.
    thumb.gif
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • Options
    tjarmstrongtjarmstrong Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    Very very cool
    "I see two tiny pictures of myself, and there's one in each of your eyes"

Tj Armstrong
    X-US Navy Photographer
    www.tjarmstrong.com
    tj@tjarmstrong.com
  • Options
    twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    They all look wonderful .
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    I like # 2 the best. It's hard to sau exactly why, but I think that desaturating the color is a mistake, and the composition on 2 looks more balanced; better centering, wider interstices in the light patterns, especially the warped grid section. Exceedingly cool.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    cool photos, but how do you do that?
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    Do you remember SpiroGrahp?
    First, let me say, these are really cool.

Reminds me of the old "art" set called SpiroGraph from my childhood (do they still make/sell these things?).

I do have to ask, how did you get the lines to trace so accurately? Something like this can be done with a long levered pendulum, but there is no evidence of decay in the applitude of the swing.
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    Wow ... good job. I love this type of stuff. I don't have the patience for it ...but I appreciate all your hard work.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    RedhedRedhed Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    Very nice! How did you do this?
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    I love the one you entered. Really neat shots, all of them.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    DeaconDeacon Registered Users Posts: 239 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    How to...
    I should take a shot of the setup. The first series I simply tied a small led flashlight to some fishing monofilament and then tied it to the dining room light fixture. The line was only about 18" and I set the camera on the dining room table. Using a 12-24mm lens I played a bit with the zoom but could not get the pattern within the frame. Also the shortness of the line and longer exposures tended to overexpose certain areas of the lines.

Got feedback from the first set from you great dgrinners. Everyone wanted to see the full pattern. OK had to do a couple of things. Used a light stand to get height. Fastened a reflective disk holder to the top and positioned it 90 deg. to the stand about 5 feet parallel to the floor. This time I lengthened the monofilament to about 30". Setting the camera on the timer setting to allow me time to start the swinging motion I would fire, 10 sec, exposure started. In that 10 seconds I would start the pendulum motion of the flashlight.

Almost all of the exposures were 30 sec. I almost thought about longer but the I thought the light would become too dense and overexposed. The lens was set at f22, IS0 200 (could have dropped that a bit maybe). I would then examine the shot and adjust the zoom a bit to make sure the image was contained in the frame. Then it was trial and error, trial again until I felt I had a good sample of possiblities. Could have done it for hours...wife said come to bediloveyou.gif.

The increase in length of the mono/weight of the flashlight etc allowed for the smoothness and very little loss of amplitude. There is a Focault Pendulum at the Oregon Convention Center with a huge weight and about a 50 foot cable. I would love to somehow figure out a way to shoot that with a light source attached to the weight:):

Here is a link to the various attempts: http://deacon.smugmug.com/gallery/1402604

Deacon
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2006
    Yeah show us the little set up you have. I'm picturing you attaching a flashlight to a stationary object on the ceiling like a light fixture, killing the lights, tripping the shutter and letting the flashlight pendulum swing away.